• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[mature]  who could ever leave me darling, but who could stay; illum
    “I know when you go
    down all your darkest roads
    I would have followed all the way
    to the graveyard.”
    He seems to be at war with himself, and she finds herself wishing for just a glimpse of the demons he kept locked away inside. She wonders, then, if this is why she too captures the attention of the most unlikely sort. Because outwardly she is all things ethereal and light, she is soft with those endlessly dark eyes, she is pristine white and accented with gold, and she glows as radiant as any angel ever could. But it doesn’t take much to see that the wretched heart of hers does not match the appearance that she wears, and maybe it is that curiosity to see how far she will let the dark encroach upon her light that brings them back.

Because Illum, she can see, is not so easily black and white either. He wears his shadows like armor and sometimes she thinks there is something sinister that flashes in his eyes or hardens the already unreadable features of his face. He gives her every reason to believe that he is similar to all the other cold, distant men she lets her wickedly foolish heart latch onto, if it were not for the simple fact that he has already proven that he is different.

It was, afterall, he who had appeared from the smoke and the flames in the middle of a war, to guide her and a newborn daughter to safety. And she doesn’t think she will ever understand what had driven him to do that.

“I don’t know, but, they probably want it back,” she retorts lightly and with a faint laugh, though the sound hitches in her throat when she thinks she sees – or perhaps she just imagined – a smile touching his own lips. Her heart does that awful thing again where it starts to get ahead of itself, and it makes her pulse race and blood rush and she feels like she might crawl out of her own skin just to get rid of the feeling.

She is grateful when the topic redirects from her and back to him, though she is sure he doesn’t feel the same. “Believe it or not, you are not the most hostile company I’ve kept,” the words are spoken with a light-hearted jest, but she knows better than to underestimate anyone, even if she could never imagine Illum doing the things that Carnage has done. “So far, at least.”

He takes a step back, and she has to mask the disappointment from her face, and she can only hope that it was also lost in the darkness of her eyes. Her gaze falters from his momentarily, readjusting the position of her gold-tipped wings as she regains her false sense of composure before answering him, “I ended up in Taiga by accident and I couldn’t stop thinking about you.” It is truthful, but the levelness of her tone makes it impossible to discern if she means romantically or just because she associated Taiga with him because of their past. “I suppose it was fitting, though, that you came from out of nowhere and then disappeared right back into it.”
    ryatah

Messages In This Thread
    RE: who could ever leave me darling, but who could stay; illum - by Ryatah - 05-17-2020, 03:35 PM