• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  you can't tell me nothing

and when every time I set a course into the dark night
    you would follow me silently with searchlights

He did it. He finally did it.

Kulin giggles as he gallops through the dense brush, tripping over rocks and gnarled roots as he goes. He finally ditched mom, and what's better, is that he did it by using his wings! It had been a calculated risk (for a boy who is terrible at math), and it had turned out okay. The draconic colt is not any good at flying yet, but he found out he can glide a fair distance if he jumps off of something high.

It's no wonder his mother is a basketcase.

The spit of buckskin dragon scales ducks around a rock as red as the blood that flows through his veins, panting. Blue eyes peer around the stone, darting, looking for any sign or sound of his poor bedraggled dam. No such luck, which is perfect as far as he's concerned. Whinnying tinnily in triumph, Kulin trots off, cornsilk yellow tail hiked high over his back.

The world is huge and the size of it boggles his mind. The colt has decided that he wants to see it all, but his mother won't let him anywhere without her and she doesn't like to stray far from the forest at the northern edge of Loess. But now that the fearless Kulin is on his own, why, he'll go wherever he pleases. He doesn't need her. He can eat some of this weird kinda prickly green stuff if he gets hungry. Mama eats it, so he can too, right?

It's safe here.

Right?

KULIN

In the end, it’s the gleam of the scales that attracts him.

For once, he’s stayed at the river long enough to present as a horse - a casual-looking horse, only marked with metallic gold tresses and scales made of ice, gleaming in the low light of winter, near-spring; and with a molten orange gaze that turns to icy blue when he’s detected that the boy is just that - a young boy.

The broad-looking male approaches him light-footed, though, for a draft-lined male that is not actually so light. His medium trot brings him towards the source of the almost-gold gleam of scales, finding himself… a boy.

Does he attract those somehow? This one’s not even a yearling, so he’d dare say he’s not improving on himself for that matter.

Or is he? What is it with him and kids, anyway?

Hmm. It remains to be seen. The boy has some spirit for coming here alone - his mother is far away enough that she didn’t show up in a quick thermal sweep of their surroundings. ”What makes you think coming out here alone was a good idea?” comes his baritone voice from the shadows, his new-earned darkness aura surrounding him long enough to look scary - he hopes.

He’s a father, after all, though he chooses not to make more of himself any more. If being the bogard means the kids run home safely, that’s fine with him for now.
    nothing burns like the cold
    Leilan

@[Kulin]
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Kulin has never been entirely alone before. He's always had his mother nearby, always within line of sight, even though the young colt's boldness often drove him to run farther and farther from her as the days and weeks wore on. Poor woman is a nervous wreck, most days -- a first time mother at the young age of five, still nearly a filly herself, and her first born is as brave as they come. 

Brave, and somewhat stupid for it. The golden-scaled boy doesn't have the wisdom needed to temper his courage.

Kulin bends down to sniff at a pile of something on the ground, front legs splaying out so he can reach it. It stinks, and he lifts his head and pooches out his upper lip. Gross. Blue eyes blink and he turns to look at his stomach -- it's growling, and he almost wishes his mom was here so he could eat. But, like he'd thought before, she eats this green stuff and Kulin feels like he should also eat it. 

He doesn't even get a mouthful of grass before that voice speaks up. Spooking, the golden boy's scaled head jerks upright, his sprig of a forelock standing up. He heard someone, but he doesn't see anyone. Kulin's heart pounds against his ribcage as his muscles tense up, ears twisting and nose sucking in air, looking for a scent. Does he have to run? 

"I-I ... I'm not alone!" he shouts defiantly. "And e-even if I was, so what? I'm brave and strong!"

KULIN

@[Leilan]
    Oh, it's the stubborn kind; how lovely. The roan grins to himself like a maniac, but he retains his composure after that, instead dropping the darkness aura altogether so that the golden dragon boy finds himself opposed by another scaled horse; a large draft-baroque hybrid, broad-shouldered, with strong, feathered legs.

He bows over to look the kid in the eye. "You are alone, because I can see more than you." he tells the kid almost casually, though the undertone is still there. He switches vision, knowing the blue will make place for a molten-orange eye colour, and then back, retaining ice blue. "What happens when you find someone who's, bigger, braver, and stronger than you?" he asks - almost as if it's a hypothetical question, he tosses his head back upward, scanning the woods. "You never know what hunts here." he warns, and thinking that his impressing the boy would be quite sufficient now.

If not, though, and he can't seem to shake him, then this would turn out to be a very ironic, and very different kind of story. They're about to find out.
    Leilan

@[Kulin]
    |

Oh, crap. The man knows that he's by himself somehow. Not that it's a great leap of logic, given that there isn't anyone else within sight or smell for once, but at his age, Kulin is still working on just how far he can stretch plausibility before it snaps. The boy stares up at the massive scaled stallion, blue eyes wide. But he blinks, catching sight of those scales that cover the other horse's body, momentarily distracted. Kulin looks at his own scales, then back at Leilan's, forgetting his fear for a moment in order to compare his own shoulder to the man's.

"You're like me!" the little colt chimes brightly. Oh, wait. He could be in danger. 

His face switches back to worry, and Kulin scrambles a few steps back. "Uh," he breathes, trying to come up with an answer. "If... if I find someone bigger, stronger, and braver than me...uhm." His white facade brightens again. "I'll ask him to teach me how to be bigger and stronger and braver! You look bigger, and stronger, and braver."

KULIN

@[Leilan]
    The boy is just that, a boy - and in his childish ways he seems to forget one emotion for a moment, when he discovers something new. Young- he seems too young and yet so far no-one has come to claim him. It’s odd, but honestly it doesn’t worry the scaled roan, in the sense that he would be sure to explain he just happened to find the kid, and had done his best to turn him homewards, and that ultimately it had seemed best to stick around.

But he can’t stick around forever, and the dragon-scaled child seems to have come to a similar conclusion. Or... maybe not, but honestly it is a thing to Leilan. He shrugs off the notion that they are alike - he has still so much to learn about the world - but he does come up with a clever enough solution. ”Unless they have no interest in training, but rather in eating?” he still offers - just to keep him on his toes. He doesn’t hold up the facade for long though. ”You’re lucky though. I happen to have a training place, if you so wish.” he shrugs a bit. ”Due north, and when you can go no further, opposite the icy sea is my home. The island of the north.” he directs. If he wants to go and fine him later, that’s fine with him. ”But tell your mom first. We wouldn’t want her to think I ate you, I guess.” He grins, his pointy teeth quite visible, and then he turns to leave. His dragon wings sprout from his back to lift him, though from far up high he keeps an eye on the foal below, hopefully without his knowledge. His concern about the kid only goes as far as today, and he wouldn’t want to give him the impression that he can go with every random stranger he encounters.
    Leilan

@[Kulin] Sort of a crappy ending, but here’s an invite at least (:
    |