• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  the stars never rise, mals
    YADIGAR
    there’s a hole in my chest but it’s mine, baby, it’s all i got.
    He has never been to Tephra, he realizes as he slips across their borders and into the jungle kingdom. He might have even enjoyed this visit if it were not for the circumstances. Today, however, the eerie silence of the jungle sets him on edge, and he strains to listen for any noise other than the tropical birds chittering and crying out. There is an occasional twig snapping under a distant hoof, but each time he turns to look they’ve already vanished from his sight. Perhaps he prefers the wide-open spaces of his home or even Nerine. It’s rather difficult to navigate this region with heat alone.

But then there is a distinct sound of someone parting the underbrush and gingerly approaching. Yadigar turns his head and watches the outline of a taller male drawing near. His scrying eye flickers to life and displays a few different fortunes for the stranger – fire, bloodshed, and many broken hearts. But the other male only replies with a soft, “Oh. I see.”

The young dragon tucks his wings shamefully to his sides. None of the future paths end well, for him. “My name is Yadigar, of Pangea. I’ve come to make a deal with the witches of the west,” he explains in a voice that is only a breath above a whisper. The tall male nods slowly and glances over his shoulder for a moment before shifting his weight.

“I am Maleficar. I suppose my sisters and I are the witches you seek,” he says as he looks over the little scars along the prince’s face and body. He knows the stories those kinds of wounds tell. “What do you offer as payment?”

Yadigar keeps his gaze focused on the ground between them. He is afraid, as evidenced by the tense muscles in his shoulders and the way his head hangs low. But he fears losing his friends a great deal more than whatever pain the witches will inflict on him. He just has to play along until he’s strong enough to rise up against them all.

I am the firstborn son and heir of Pangea. I offer you my blood for whatever needs you have,” he says. The old witch nods slowly as he considers the prize offered. His gaze drifts upward as he seems to listen to someone whispering in his ear, though Yadigar can see no one there. He considers asking but he supposes magicians and witches are all a rather strange lot. They probably consider his reptilian mannerisms just as odd.

@[Maleficente / Malefica]
    MAKE A WHOLE NEW RELIGION, A FALLING STAR THAT YOU CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT

It had been some time since the witches had returned to this land. After their birth, the triplets had seemed to go their own way. The girls had sought out the world; to see and learn more of their powers while their brother had stayed behind. He had settled in this jungle and called it his home. While they had been nomads, selling their skills to those that were desperate enough to pay their price. Now, they weaved their spells into runes, lacing their skin with glowing swirls and orbs of different colors.

They had not expected to return to Beqanna in their lifetime, as extended as it was by their immortality spells and eternal youth potions. Yet, their connection with Maleficar had suddenly felt different. It tugged on them, forcefully pulling them back to the lands they had been born. Though it was not as they had left it. This was not the same world they had left behind so long ago. A new adventure awaited them here… and new victims to pray upon their desperation to be anything other than themselves.

They knew their brother called Tephra his home. A thick, foreboding jungle where light barely reached the jungle floor. It fit them, it fit their wild and shadowy nature. The two black witches stood opposite sides of their brother and his… guest? Hidden in the thick undergrowth melding into the shadows, yards away, they watched the two males speak, exchanging pleasantries before the scaled one finally stated his business for coming here. Maleficente caught her sister’s eye in a gesture akin to ‘shall we?’ and Malefica gave an almost imperceptible nod. He wanted the witches of the jungle, did he not?

So, the twin obsidian witches slipped from the undergrowth and prowled toward the duo much like panthers on a hunt. The glowing runes on their skin was the only visible trace of them until they came to their brother’s sides. Maleficente posed on his right side and Malefica on his left, curving around him like possessive cats. Both pressed their muzzles into each side of his neck in greeting, inhaling his scent for a moment before turning their eerie violet eyes towards the scaled prince in front of them. A first-born prince at that… perhaps their lucky day? So much power in the blood of kings… so much he could be used for. 

“And what is it that you wish for so terribly that you would offer your very blood to obtain?” Maleficente’s ethereal, husky voice finally broke the silence that had seemed to drag on between them. Her unearthly eyes flick to her sister. “Do you truly know what it is that you offer us?” Malefica’s voice was ghostly though light and more feminine than her older sister’s. The witches gaze passively at the boy who would give up his soul for his desires. Surly their brother understood the value of such an offer of king’s blood and the spells they could bolster with it.

MALEFICENTE & MALEFICA
    I'll feed your obsession;

MALEFICENTE & MALEFICA
    I'll feed your obsession;
    YADIGAR
    there’s a hole in my chest but it’s mine, baby, it’s all i got.
    Maleficar has shared secrets with the sea and the jungle alike, serving as an apprentice to this world and the next to hone his skills. He has reserved his power entirely to himself. This world had no honest need for him to skim across the limits of his strength, but his sisters seem inclined to answer this call just the same. He watches them closely. The thread that connected them had tugged them back here just as it had alerted him of their approach. They all fit into place as though the sisters never left.

Yadigar tilts his head as he observes the contented smile across the male witch’s face when the other two touch his neck. The scrying eye breathes to life and the milky cloud clears to foretell the hundred possible futures between the four of them - hurricanes, walls of fire, an earth split in two. The imagery makes his breath catch in his throat.

But Maleficente’s words ground him, bring him back to the here and now.

Maleficar narrows his eyes as he sizes up the young prince before meeting his sisters’ gazes.

I know. I offer it because the service I require is great,” he explains in a voice that, to his surprise, does not waver. “Tear down the walls guarding the north. Then, my brother and I will lay waste to it all.

And then he falls silent. All that he can do now is watch the outlines of their face and wonder what thoughts cross their minds. Seconds tick by in hollow eternities. He swallows the lump in his throat and hopes that Breach is safe.

“A forest once burned will regrow twice as tall,” Maleficar says at last. The trees branches all sway in some unfelt wind as the jungle mumbles encrypted words in his ear, though he offers it no reply.

@[Maleficente / Malefica]