• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

barley and me

When Lyali woke up with the intention to explore this morning, she had not meant to go alone. She was so used to being around her sisters that she just naturally assumed one of them would follow along. And when she looked around and realized she was by herself? Well, the young filly didn’t know what to think about that. It was a little bit exciting but mostly unnerving. She didn’t like being alone. If she was alone, there was no one to tell her how pretty her wings looked today! They were growing in nicely too, just large enough to fold and cover the length of her back and they made the loveliest rustling noise when she moved them.

Only, it wasn’t so lovely when she was the one pointing it out.

Still, a small stubborn streak ran in her and she didn’t want to go back and find one of her sisters so she continued forward - letting the sound of the ocean call her until she was standing on a beach - looking out across crystalline blue waters towards some islands.

She settled down in the shade - don’t want to burn! - arranging her wings neatly around her and then just watched the ocean. Lyali appreciated a beautiful view, somehow that just seemed right, and she had to admit nature really went off with the whole tropical aesthetic.

Lyali

@[Barley]
    She woke with a fish’s tail, long and sleek and blue.

Knowing how brief her time might be with this dream-induced ability, the green-eyed girl plunged immediately into the surf. The flaxen haired filly is a few hundred yards from the Tephran shore when she feels her hind hooves return to her, and she is forced to swim the rest of the way with four perfectly normal equine limbs.

Once on dry land, she stops, breathing heavily. Another moment passes, and she folds her legs beneath her to settle into the sand. The swim had taken more out of her than she had expected, the strain of unfamiliar limbs and the strength of the ocean’s current quickly depleting her energy. Barley considers a nap, but only for a moment. Her body might be weary, but her mind certainly is not. The tropical land around her is lush, and looks very like her own home. That is to be expected, Barley thinks, looking back over her shoulder to where the distant rise of Ischia and its daughter islands sit on the horizon.

It takes a moment for her to remember her fathers’ advice, and use all her senses in this new place. It is only then that she realizes she is not alone on the beach, and there is another filly not so far away. With a huff, Barley pulls herself to her feet and stumbles forward a few steps. She regains her balance just in time to stop at the edge of the shade Lyali has found.

“Why aren’t your leaves green?” Barley asks curiously. Her own emerald eyes flick up toward the green canopy and back down to the weird orange leaves on the other girl’s back. “Are you sick?” Her mouth is pursed ever so slightly as though she is worried, but not entirely put-off by the possibility.

@[Lyali]

If she thought about it for a moment, Lyali would realize there were other foals that were not her sisters. Or that foals would come in all sizes and colours and not just the white of the Tephran quadruplets. Privately, she had considered the idea that all foals were white when they were born and they only gained their colour as they aged - how else to explain the differences between the sisters and their parents?

But here was a filly with colour! So there went that theory.

She was excited to meet someone that wasn’t one of her sisters, though, especially someone around her same age. Lyali was just readying herself to push up and stand when the rather surprising greeting from the girl made her remain where she was.

Although Lyali knew her leaves were different than the lush greens of her jungle home, she had not ever thought to ask the question that this gold and white filly asks. Was she sick? Shouldn’t her parents have said something if they thought she wasn’t doing well? Her gold and rose eyes widen a little at the thought. “I don’t think so.” She looks back to the orange wings folded at her side and then up at the tree giving her shade that was as green as everything else here before back at the filly.

“How can I tell if I’m sick?” It’s a question asked honestly and without any hint of attitude - she truly wants to know, and maybe this filly will have the answers.

Lyali

@[Barley]
    The white filly remains on the ground, so Barley joins her without much consideration. She folds her feet beneath her and flops onto the sand. It's nice here in the shade, with the crash of the waves behind them, and Barley understands why this other girl had chosen here to lounge. The pegasus seems doubtful about her answer, which brings a thoughtful expression to Barley’s golden face.

“Well I guess if you don’t feel sick you’re probably not sick. Do you have the sneezes? Or the itchies?” She sounds like a real healer, Barley thinks, maybe that’s what she can be when she grows up! “Have your leaves always been orange?”

Always ask question, she thinks, always make sure that you know everything. Her attention flits quickly, resting for a moment on the other’s wings, then the markings along her face and legs. She does seem to match, Barley thinks, a shade of yellow that is not so far from Barley’s own golden coat.  The overo filly twitches her tail, and after a moment glances over her shoulder. She is quite sure that she smells something delicious, and her stomach rumbles hungrily. The swim had taken quite a lot out of her, it seems.

“Is there food here?” Barley inquires, the soft pink of her nose lifting in an effort to follow the smell. “I’m super hungry.”

“Oh before I forget! Did you hatch out of an egg?” She asks, as politely as she can given her enthusiasm. Barley’s sibling had told her that Tephran horses hatch out of eggs, and she is eager to confirm this with the very first Tephran she’s ever met. “I’m Barley, by the way!”

@[Lyali]

Lyali smiles happily when the girl joins her in the shade and the sand, happy to share this pleasant littles spot with someone else. Even if they are just talking about whether or not Lyali is sick. And this filly seems to know an awful lot so Lyali happily defers to her greater wisdom and answers all of the questions posed. “No sneezing or itchies… except if I lie in the sand for too long.” She looks down as she thinks about this but so far it had been fine today - one day she fell asleep in the sand for ever though and it had gotten everywhere. “And yes! They’ve always been orange.” It sure made hide and seek hard when she stood out so much.

At the question about whether there is any food in the area, Lyali stands - shuffling her wings a little and sending sand cascading back down. “There’s lots to eat! Come on, there should be some fruit nearby.”

The next question comes as a bit of a surprise and Lyali pauses before they can go any further - her golden yellow eyes bright and a small laugh escaping her. “No, no eggs. But I bet that would’ve been easier - I’m one of four sisters my poor mama had all at once. Why did you hatch out of an egg?”

At the introduction, she brightens a little further - thrilled to have made a new friend. “I’m Lyali!”

Lyali

@[Barley]