• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  trying to find a better way

“Glowing counts. And of course there’s Astrum.” Whatever reason the little star has bonded to Aureus, Anuya thinks it is a very fortunate gift indeed. Her eyes widen a little at the idea of illusions, she’s not sure any of her family had been capable of that (thank the stars).

When Astrum comes down close to her nose, Anuya laughs and the warm noise of hers joins that of Aureus’. Her eyes are still on the star when he speaks but they drift to him and she tilts her head to the side a little so that her long ears flop a bit with the movement.

“You mean aside from wanting to escape my numerous siblings?” She asks with another bright laugh before actually answering. “There’s a great number of wonderful and terrible lands. The one I was born into was peaceful for the first several decades of my life but something corrupted the gods that ruled over it, and it became unsafe.” Very unsafe, even for the immortal fae that had originally populated it, like Anuya’s family. “My eldest sibling, Sidhra - she’s one of the good ones - and I left to find a safer home.”

Anuya greatly preferred to create her own excitement and not have to worry about whether the glowing green ooze coming from a tree that looked normal yesterday was poisonous or not.

“It took us a while but we found Beqanna and though it is…” And here Anuya’s truth-telling tongue stumbles a little as she tries to find a polite way to share her thoughts. She’s aware of the fact that she does not want to insult Aureus. Finally, hesitantly, she picks an adjective that works “...strange… it’s been relatively peaceful.”

Now she pauses, thoughtful, her turquoise eyes regarding him. “Or at least that’s the impression I’ve gotten?” She asks, curious now about what Beqanna seemed like to someone who had been born here.

oh, I see stars rushing through my mind, colours have no time to fade
    oh, I found out there's another side where the sea and sky collide

artwork by Skellri

@[aureus]
    Aureus

oh, these wings, they flicker and my feathers stir
    'til I'm an ancient soul in a cascade world

The conversation is easier when it is not focused on him, and he does not comment further on his lack of gifts. The fact that he emits a faint glow feels like the most pathetic of gifts and while he is forever grateful for the companionship of Astrum, he does not count it as a gift of his own creation. She is the one with magic, with presence, and he is merely the anchor that keeps her here on earth.

He does not think that is anything to be proud of.

So he just smiles at her kindness before turning his attention to her stories, trying to discern that which she tells him—imagining the worlds that she describes. It’s difficult, especially given his rather sheltered nature, to think of such things. Gods and lands. War and corruption. He had heard whisperings of such things in Beqanna, but they were always that—just stories. His life had always been quiet, uneventful.

He laughs a little as she gets to their current land and he shrugs.

“Strange is a kind way of putting it,” unaffected by the evaluation. There were days he had much unkinder thoughts about the world around them, although he did not have true cause to look down upon it. Beqanna had never wronged him in anyway, but that did not stop his fear of it, his aversion to it. It was a world he didn’t understand. That was enough for him to spurn him. Perhaps before it could spurn him.

“It is a world that can be many things to many people,” he hedges his answer slightly. “To my one father, it is a place to dream. To my other, it is a place to protect. To my sister, it is a place to explore.”

He pauses, unable to hide the frown that catches his mouth.

“And to me, I suppose, it has always been a place to avoid.”

and I'm quick with the bullet when it comes undone
    I got a head like a turret with a mouth for a gun

@[Anuya]

In response to his frown and the words that follow, Anuya’s gaze softens. She tilts her head again and regards him with an easy sort of smile. She understands - or thinks she does. After all, had she not spent the last several years here doing something similar? Avoiding pretty much everyone that she could while she sulked about a home she had left willingly and never wanted to return to. Her major complaint about Beqanna was that it just wasn’t quite pretty enough for her, and that wasn’t really so bad - given the list of other faults that could be present.

Her sense of superiority over the short-eared horses has lessened (just a little bit) and with it her unwillingness to tether herself to these lands has begun to loosen.

Not very long ago, if she had been told she would be genuinely happy to have made a friend like Aureus she would have laughed for a season.

And yet! Here she is.

She does not outright ask why he wants to avoid the world, but her voice is encouraging and gently teasing when she speaks. “Well come on, where’s the fun in that, Aureus? If you kept that up you never would have met me.” She flicks her dark tail and shakes her mane, holding her head high in a mock sense of pride.

It fades and her bright grin returns with a quick laugh. “And if I had continued to avoid everyone I would have never met you two! So maybe not avoiding the world all the time isn’t the worst.”

artwork by Skellri

@[aureus]
    Aureus

oh, these wings, they flicker and my feathers stir
    'til I'm an ancient soul in a cascade world

She is lighter than he had first thought when they had met—kinder, in some ways. She had looked so otherworldly that he had assumed her as nearly cruel. As uncaring, unfeeling, to those around her. But she had shown him friendship when he had assumed there was none to be had—shown him that perhaps he does not have to break the things that tie him to others, that he can be trusted with connection.

And for that reprieve, he is grateful.

He does not worry that he will break her.

“I have not always been known for my inclination toward fun,” he says with a smile—something that nearly becomes a grin—and he drops his head a little, forelock falling over his purple eyes in a bashful sweep. When he glances back up, the smile has not yet fully faded from his face and he studies her, trying to memorize the curve of her long ears and the slant of her eyes. The way she looks so very different.

He laughs, a little breathless, “But I think maybe I could try.”

A roll of his shoulders as Astrum comes back to rest against him, bouncing lightly along his spine so that he can feel just the flicker of silvery warmth she emits. “Maybe we can avoid the world again sometime,” he says it cautiously, unsure of where he is going with it, but willing to at least attempt it.

Another hint of a smile around his mouth.

“If I can find you, that is.”

and I'm quick with the bullet when it comes undone
    I got a head like a turret with a mouth for a gun

@[Anuya]

Anuya genuinely does hope that they can avoid the world together again sometime, which is an odd sensation for her. Not troubling in the same way she thought it might be - it is far too pleasant of a feeling for that. She likes watching Astrum dance and making Aureus smile - though he ducks his head to hide it, like he's not sure what to do.

A bright laugh escapes Anuya at the joke about being able to find her and she winks in a good-natured, easy manner as the sound fades into words. “Oh, with a little bit of luck, I think you’ll be able to.” Aureus was better at fun than he gave himself credit for, she thinks, but she doesn’t want to embarrass him by pointing this out. Not yet anyway - maybe by the time he makes his second joke. Then it’ll be fair game.

She shakes her head a little before bright eyes focus on the starlight pair before her again, enjoying the fond warmth that spreads through her when she does. It is good to have a friend again. “Until then, I hope you find more reasons to smile, Aureus.” She glances to Astrum and wiggles her ears once more to the star in farewell.

artwork by Skellri

@[aureus] just a little post to wrap this up <33