• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  kindness never looked good on me; Aela

you can run but you can't hide
    breath on your skin, I've arrived

Hearing her wisdom would never be quite the same as understanding provided by experience. Heartfire understands far too well. In many ways, the black and ivory mare had been fortunate to be able to witness the mistakes others made, sparing herself the need to repeat them. But she had found ways to make her own. Even with nearly the entire world open to her viewing pleasure, she is far from omnipresent.

In the end, Aela would need to make her own mistakes as well. But Heartfire could at least provide her some knowledge to make them less painful.

In the heat of the moment, it’s no surprise that Aela does not appreciate her bald statement about Carnage. It’s a rare horse that would, but as far as Heartfire is concerned, Aela needed to be made aware of just how insignificant she is to the ancient magician. Even if it is a brutal comparison, it does not lack for accuracy.

She can’t help the smile that causes her lips to twitch at her granddaughter’s petulant denial. Aela’s temerity would drive her far in this world, but only if tempered by sense. Heartfire has never been terribly good at offering advice without a sharp edge to cleave the way, but in many ways, she suspects that is exactly what the young girl needs. Better to learn at the hands of someone who cares for her that the world does not pander to sensitive egos than for her to find out at the hands of someone who would happily crush it.

“Ants understand patience,” Heartfire replies after a lengthy silence, her voice gentle despite the faint reprimand in the words. “And so should you if you wish to be something more.”

When Aela continues, clearly wishing to change the subject, Heartfire pauses to glance around the dim confines of the shallow sea cave. A brief wave of humor wraps around her thoughts before she replies, “Remind me to introduce you to a few more of our relatives some time if you wish to know why I don’t tire of shadows.”

She remains silent then for a heavy moment, considering how best to continue the conversation. To explain why she had really reached out to Aela this morning. Finally she sighs, deciding simplicity is the better part of valor. “It will need to wait a while however.” Pause. “I will be leaving for a time. There is.... someone I wish to find.”

heartfire

@[Aela]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: kindness never looked good on me; Aela - by Heartfire - 01-08-2021, 01:24 PM