• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

in my restless dreams i see us there, wayfair
    CrownS
    He is determined that he will learn how to fly before the sun sets tonight. Crowns tells himself this as he sets out across the borders of Tephra with his chin held high and his shoulders back. It’s been a while since he last tried and he’s grown taller, stronger since the day he tormented Rosebay in the meadow. He passes through the autumnal woods of Sylva, over the sweeping hills of Loess, and finally the towering trees of the forest. He feels his confidence reach a crescendo when he draws near the river that carves Beqanna in two.

Carefully, he pulls the water from its current and forms his draconic wings once more. He flexes them to test the muscles and finds them to be much more powerful than before. The gust they kick up sends the dried enter leaves skittering from him and across the river rocks before being swept into the river. Crowns draws in a deep breath and takes a few steps back as he eyes the path he intends to run. Then, he bursts forward, galloping at full speed with those wings extended.

He glides, tasting the wind beneath him, but he ultimately stumbles into a landing on the opposite bank. This meager display does not count as true flight, in his mind. A snort of frustration leaves him as he turns to face the riverbank once more. Again, then, until he manages to carry himself aloft.

The boy repeats this same process from side to side, growing more frustrated with himself each time. But he does not relent in his pursuit. Rather, he tries harder each time, beating his wings in the hopes they will lift him at long last.
    @[Wayfair]

no wind blows in favor of a ship with no direction

Today, she has done the very thing her mother had told her not to do. Today, she tossed off the collar of control that her mother had placed on her at birth. Today, she lied to her dear twin brother. Today, she took the first steps towards becoming who she was meant to be and not who her mother insisted she be. It was not easy to give them the slip. In a family of telepaths, there is nothing that goes unnoticed, least of all thoughts of disobedience. Wayfair hated the thought of lying and hurting the only ones she has ever loved.

She hated the thought of wasting her life even more.

The spring calls to her in a way she has not experienced before. All around her the world is awakening, and to her young eyes it is like magic. The trees have cloaked themselves in their finest greenery, and the flowers have exploded in their brightest colors. She refuses to focus her eyes on any one thing, instead letting them drift and wander, refusing in her own way to miss anything. A warm wind blows at the soft white down that is her foal coat and she leans into it briefly before calling it back to her and forcing it to enclose her in its warmth. It does not resist, but does her bidding happily. Knowing that her mother has likely already started after her she does not linger in that spot for too long and bids the warm wind goodbye and continues on her explorations.

She finally slows as she reaches the river. The current is strong due to the melting of the snow and ice further north, and despite being very young, she isn’t stupid. She has a healthy appreciation for the power the river exerts and so she maintains a safe distance. Something distracts her from the rapids though, something that draws all of her attention. It is a colt, older than her but a colt all the same. The wings on his back make for an impressive picture, though he seems to lack the knowledge of how to use them. Each time he takes to the sky she holds her breath. She can hear his frustrated thoughts, and she finds her heart aching for him. Though she does not possess flight, she knows what it feels like to be so full of potential but unable to use it. The next time he leaps into the air she concentrates, concentrates so hard that a sweat breaks on her slender neck and her muscles tremble from the effort of it. As his wings spread she clenches her teeth, blowing air slowly out of her nostrils and aiming for the space beneath him. She hopes to create a thermal, a rising of hot air that will push him upwards with minimal effort on his part. A part of her wants to speak to him and encourage him, but she also does not want to break their collective concentration. So for now she remains quiet other than the small puffs of air that leave her quivering nostrils.

WAYFAIR&GANGPLANK

@[CROWNS]
    CrownS
    He has felt his elder brother running spidery fingertips through his thoughts, dissecting his emotions and turning them over in his palms. It used to terrify him. Surely Eucharist would tell their mother of the things his hides - his strength, his friends, his games. But one day their eyes met and the other boy only smiled that knowing smile; it was as much of a promise as it was a threat. Keep each other’s secrets and the pact would never be broken.

Now, he feels a familiar sensation as someone digs their way through his mind, but he lets her peer into his frustration and his displeasure. He also notes the warm gust that carries him higher, buying him enough time to beat his wings downward and rise on his own. Crowns follows that spidersilk thread that ties her to him, plucks her thoughts for himself to admire in kind. The boy tucks his left wing downward so his path takes a lazy circle back to her. Then, he angles his wings so the wind slows his descent and he lands with a clumsy trot near her.

His bright sapphire eyes take her in curiously. Would she be like Rosebay, trying to twist his mind to yield to hers, or would she be fun like Reign? A grin overtakes his lips as he finds himself eager to find out. A few easy strides bring him a short distance away, close enough for polite conversation without intruding.

Was that wind yours?” he asks, tucking the dripping wings against his back. “I’m very thankful for it. My name is Crowns.

He does not pry her mind further for her name. It would be rude to just let himself in like thatm he thinks.
    @[Wayfair and Gangplank]

Her thoughts have never belonged exclusively to her. From the very moment of her conception, her mother has been prying into her undeveloped mind, probing and prodding the girl into a mirror image of the former queen. Her brother too has made his way into the chasms of her mind, though his thoughts are much more frightening. Whereas Topsail merely had a steel spine and iron forged will, Gangplank thought of cruelty just for the fun of being cruel. She was not afraid of him though. While he may harbor a wicked streak, she has the wind at her back. Literally and figuratively.

The bay colt makes a beautiful sight as he angles into her wind, manipulating it to suit his needs much like she manipulated it in his favor. She can hear the beat of his leathery wings, and a part of her senses the disturbance in her created air flow. Still she concentrates, at least until she feels his fingers in her own mind. He doesn’t pry in the way that her family does though, so she makes no effort to mentally hide from him. It is nice in a way, to feel someone explore with permission. Her mother and twin certainly don’t ask before diving into her mind. There is little time to dwell though, as the bay boy seems to have zeroed in on her and is heading her way. She is envious of the way he cuts through the sky with so little effort, and she wonders what it would be like to feel the wind from that height.

As he trots towards her she offers him a smile, casting her eyes down demurely in typical foal fashion. He is the first foal she has ever met besides her brother, and finds herself relying on instinct rather than her own personality. She senses many thoughts in his mind, though none of them reek of malice in the way Gangplanks do. That alone relaxes her enough to swish her bottle brush tail and step forward to meet the winged boy. ”The wind was mine, yes.” she says, and her voice is soft and slightly broken from lack of use. Her mother never spoke out loud to them, and Wayfair has gotten herself into the habit to do the same. ”I’m glad you could use it...Crowns.” His name rolls of her her tongue much nicer than Gangplanks name. ”My name is Wayfair. I hope you don’t mind, but I could hear you. You were having trouble, i think. I bet flying is hard....” The words flow out of her like water breaking from a dam, but she finally cuts them off. It would not do to make a fool of herself on her first journey away from home.

WAYFAIR&GANGPLANK

CrownS
    He never thought to use the wind to his advantage and he’s rather impressed with the stranger who set him aloft. It shows in the way he grins so easily when he looks over her now, searching her for clues as to what other tricks she may have up her sleeve. But she hides her gaze, a shy thing in the presence of someone whose ego roars without shame. Crowns doesn’t mind. It’s a good contrast to who he is. Maybe he could learn a thing or two from her timid ways.

I wonder if it’s girls like you who whip up dirt devils,” he muses aloud as he watches the way the breeze rustles the electric green leaves of spring. It looks like small magic, to him, and he delights in the sound it makes. “I’m glad to have met you then, Wayfair! I don’t think I would have ever managed flying if you hadn’t come along.

He laughs, imagining himself just crashing on and on for eternity. But what did she mean she heard him? His oceanic eyes find her face once more, his head tilting curiously as he steps a little closer to examine her better. To pry into her mind still seems entirely uncouth, so he settles for just watching her like this for a few more seconds longer.

You heard.. my thoughts? My brother does that sometimes. I try to hear his but he’s very good at making that hard,” he laughs, but it’s the truth. Eucharist clouds his mind with nonsensical things all while he screams into Crowns’ thoughts until he’s dizzy. Someday he hopes to be so skillful but he’s an open book for nearly anyone to peek into, it seems.
    @[Wayfair and Gangplank]

To her, he is an other worldly thing. Young though he is, she is younger and far more sheltered. Her mother has been extra careful to keep the twins hidden from prying eyes, cocooning them under her wings and shielding them from any who came their way. But Wayfair is not a girl meant for such constraints, much like her mother before her. Though she was older and far more jaded now, Topsail had at one time been a young girl with a heart like a gypsy and eyes full of wanderlust. Despite all of her careful planning, the preening and the coddling, Wayfair was a mirror image of the youthful Topsail. A Topsail before the weight of crowns and kingdoms had settled upon her slender shoulders. 

She gives him a shy grin, her bottle brush tail swishing against her flanks happily. ”Maybe, but I dunno if there are more like me. I’ve never met them, if there are.” She has met no one, save her mother, brother, and now Crowns, so her knowledge is rather limited. He laughs and she smiles openly, happy to have been of service. No one has ever said anything about her being helpful before! ”Glad that I could help! At first, I was afraid I would blow you of course. I don’t have much practice.” she says, her dark eyes lit with glee. When he steps closer she stiffens, but only briefly. A part of her longs to explore his mind, but another, more cautious part begs her not to. Despite what her mother may say, it is not fun having ones mind probed like a fruit being examined for freshness. 

At his next question, she resumes her prior stance of meek shyness. Suddenly, her feet seem to be the most interesting thing in her life and she trains her eyes on them. She hadn’t meant to hear his thoughts, but she wasn’t always good at blocking them out. A consequence of youth, she supposed. ”I did. I’m not always the best at not hearing them, especially if someone is excited, in one way or another.” Frustration, anger, love, lust...they were all easier to hear, with little effort on her part. ”Your brother sounds like mine, which is not very nice. But I’m not afraid of Gangplank. He can just hear thoughts, but I can make dirt devils!” With a grin and a furrowing of her brow, she sets her sights on the closest dust, breathing out slowly until the dust rises in a funnel. She brings it towards them, but before it can pull them into the funnel she lets it fall harmlessly over top of them, leaving them both powder coated, but happy all the same.

WAYFAIR&GANGPLANK

ooc: i'm going to make wayfair her own account after this post to make things less confusing Smile  [@crowns]