• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  wherever our adventure waits

Thus far, of all the seasons this place endured, spring wasn’t completely awful. Winter was absolutely the worst and Anuya had taken to travelling south just to avoid becoming utterly depressed by the monochromatic winter landscape.

And yet, for all her complaining, she’s still here.

Lurking and doing a great job at being a snob but still here.

The reason? Well, it was pretty simple - of all the homes she’s had with her sister, this was one of the safest. And that absolutely counted for something.

Besides, despite the boring landscape, it wasn’t so bad. It had magic and a good number of colourful horses so the dirt-brown ones didn’t burn Anuya’s eyes very much. It’s the small blessings. She had even noticed last spring there was an unusual number of galaxy and star coloured children wandering about which made her feel right at home.

The afternoon is growing late when Anuya steps out of the forest and into the meadow, admiring the way the golden light plays on the spring wildflowers that sway slightly with the breeze. Her long ears twitch as her pale eyes scope things out. Her initial instinct is to be disappointed but she tries to put a clamp on that and just give this day a chance. She could manage that much, right? Her natural outgoing personality has been in constant conflict with her relative distaste for the Regular Flavour horses come in and one way or another she's just going to have to get over that.

Because, gods, does she miss talking.

oh, I see stars rushing through my mind, colours have no time to fade
    oh, I found out there's another side where the sea and sky collide

artwork by Skellri

for @[xii] <3
    Winter in the Field had been an experience, and not one she is eager to repeat. Danger lurks in the claimed lands (or so the residents have claimed), and Xii is reluctant to expose herself them. Her encounter with the shadowy figure had been enough to convince her of the truth in their tales though, and so the dark-eyed jenny has kept to the Meadow and the Field. The openness of the land puts her at ease, and her long ears are ever turning toward sound and danger. She is not by nature a calm creature, and the knots of anxiety in her chest have only pulled tighter since she arrived here. The plant life in these flat plains is limited, and Beqanna is so far from the rest of the world that Xii has abandoned hope of a trader coming through. She’d made do with chamomile and lemon balm but would give an inch off her left ear for some kava root.

She is looking for more mint when she sees movement at the forest edge. She stops, knowing that whatever it is has a clear line of sight on her. She’s mid-shed of her chocolatey winter coat, and with the bits of pale summer skin showing through make a mottled and obvious against the bright spring grass. The afternoon shadows are long and obscure much of the distant horse but is that…

Are those normal ears she sees, or just a trick of the light?

Homesickness gives her the courage to move closer. The kiang’s trot slows to a walk as she determines that the woman is colored by a curse. It is stars though, and Xii has heard the stories of Beqanna’s dark god. This stranger is not a kiang, but perhaps she is the child of one of Xii’s people and the star deity? Cursed, yes, but perhaps worth testing her magical protections to socialize with.

“Hello!” she calls out, raising her left wing and turning the wrist in the customary greeting of her people to a stranger they wish no ill intent. “It has been a long time since I have seen someone else with ears of a natural length.”

@[Anunya]

Anuya does a visible double-take when the winged stranger comes trotting over towards her. Are those… normal ears? On someone that is brown? It’s an absolute surprise - she was used to only herself and her sister being the ones with long ears in this land (not that she had looked particularly hard, however). They seem friendly, though, even if Anuya doesn’t understand why the left-wing is raised and turned slightly.

Odd, but her voice comes out of her in a rush of excitement despite any misgivings. “I know right??? How do all these horses or whatever they’re called hear anything?” Anuya wonders if she should raise her voice a little next time she tries to talk to one of them - or maybe test to see how low her voice can go. She knew how quietly she could talk around her sister, Sidhra - which was a volume that did not exist. Even when she just mouthed the words, Sidhra seemed to be able to catch them anyway and shoot her a disapproving glance. Or an amused one, depending on who Anuya was making fun of under her breath.

One of a number of questions that are floating around her mind comes out, and she makes some vague efforts not to be rude or blunt - her expression open and curious as those long ears twitch slightly. “Are you a fae? I’ve never seen one your particular… shade.” But she knew there were courts she had never bothered to meet. She had never had to, being the youngest child and with almost a dozen elder siblings to do all the boring jobs while she just flitted about.

oh, I see stars rushing through my mind, colours have no time to fade
    oh, I found out there's another side where the sea and sky collide

artwork by Skellri

@[xii]