• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  show me where the light is, any

despite the overwhelming odds, tomorrow came

The night was long, and I couldn’t sleep. It is not unlike most nights since I’d returned to Taiga. Perhaps it was the constant state of anxiety that was wreaking havoc on the rest of my health as well. In the middle of the day, it was easy to see the toll that it was taking on me. My eyes had sunken in, and the spark of life once within them was gone. I still smiled for Memorie, but the genuine happiness she had once brought comes fewer and farther in between now. She looks so much like her father that I often find myself doing a double-take, thinking it to be him. And it’s not that I don’t love her, because she is absolutely the most precious thing to me, but it’s not enough to heal a broken heart.

It didn’t help that Yanhua was often busy these days, making his rounds, going on adventures into other lands, and…taking care of his other family. The thought leaves a resounding emptiness within me. It didn’t help that the giant redwoods made the world feel so large and me so small and insignificant. I felt completely alone, except for Memorie.

In the darkness, I could barely see her little figure, curled up at my hooves. Filtered moonlight glints off of her ever so slightly, though, and I can just make out the little horns on her head. They had only just started coming in, and were still small yet. She also has her father’s coloring, right down to the same color mane (though her tail matches my own), and she shares his beard, his cloven hooves, and his stockings. She could have been his carbon copy, except for that tail. I love you so much, baby girl, I think to myself, though feeling entirely guilty at the same time.

Just then, she shifts beneath me, uncurling her tiny head from her body, and I can see a glint of her eyes looking up at me. “Mama, I’m thirsty,” she says, though I suspect there’s more to her stirring than just that. I was almost certain she could feel my emotions, now. I had been watching carefully for indications of it ever since I’d first suspected it when I’d just returned to Taiga. She has so much of her father in her. I give her a sad smile. “Okay, little love,” I say, lowering my head to nudge her little butt, “Well, pick your little butt up, and let’s go find some water.”

She scrambles easily to her little, cloven hooves. The first thing she does is gently brush my side with her velvety nose, then I step forward, leading the way. She had only been here a few days, so she had yet to learn where everything in Taiga is. I, however, knew that there was a little brook on the far side of a cove along the ocean shore, so this is where I lead her. Her little figure disappears behind me, and from there she plays with my tail while we walk. It isn’t long before the giant trees thin out, though their shadows are still long.

Not hidden by shadows is a figure that races across the beach with a…ball of light? The sight is so utterly unnerving that it stops me in my tracks for a moment while I watch it draw nearer. Memorie seems content to stay behind me as the horse and the ball of light draw nearer. Suddenly, it stops, just close enough to shed a sliver of light on me, and then the horse turns to face me, and I recognize @[lilliana].

Now, Memorie’s curiosity seems peaked, and she peers out from behind me, just as the ball of light brightens. It bathes us in its light, making us more visible to the other mare. “Lilliana!” I say, still slightly rattled by her presence here. Memorie slips in beside me, her little face lighting up under the glow of the ball of light. “Hi.” I’m not exactly sure of what to say to the mother of the stallion who had broken my heart.

borderline

Photo by Sharon McCutcheon from Unsplash

Messages In This Thread
    show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-07-2020, 10:32 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by Borderline - 12-08-2020, 12:24 AM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-08-2020, 03:22 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-08-2020, 11:51 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-09-2020, 06:12 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-10-2020, 12:04 AM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-12-2020, 12:12 AM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-13-2020, 10:06 PM
    RE: show me where the light is, any - by lilliana - 12-17-2020, 12:31 PM