• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  sometimes nothing keeps me together at the seams

Mesec doesn’t reply to her question about the misunderstanding, just offers half of a sad smile with what is left of his face. He’s not sure he has the energy left to explain and, besides - it does not matter. He’s busy looking at her, this mare who has already made such an impact on his life. Who is free in a way he has never known, who he had hoped to see again - but under better circumstances. He had wanted her in his life, wanted the hope that she might want to see him again too.

When he cannot stand, she moves to him. Though it hurts to have her touch him, Mesec holds in any winces or gasps - because the hurt is not important. Not compared to the rush of happiness he can still feel, this close to death, at this act of kindness from the last friend he’ll ever make.

It’s the first time they’ve ever touched.

And he thinks he’ll remember it for the rest of his life even as he takes in a ragged, fluid-filled breath and knows how truly little time he has left to cherish her presence. At least he has this - at least he has her. She speaks the thoughts that are in his head about wanting more time and Mesec feels a soft sob escape him. It’s not dignified, and maybe he should be more stoic, but he thinks he’s earned the right to cry.

For the pain and for what could have been.

“It’s not fair.” He whispers back in a careful and slow voice, taking his time with each syllable. “Alaska…” He doesn’t know what he wants to say to her. Beyond all sense, apologies rise up. He wants to apologize for being in this state, for being the cause of that fear he saw in her beautiful golden gaze, for surely bleeding all over her. The flow is ebbing and he can feel his head grow lighter with each breath.

It will not be long now.

“I’m... glad you’re here. If there was a face in Beqanna I would choose to be the last I saw.” And his silver eye closes then. Keeping the memory of her to himself. “It would have been yours.”

In another time, he would be embarrassed about feeling this much - about being this truthful with her when they had only known each other such a short time. Those feelings are distant echoes now and even the pain seems far away, it fades from his battered and broken body and leaves him in peace.

He opens his mouth to say something else to her but all that escapes is his last breath.

Mesec

@[alaska]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: sometimes nothing keeps me together at the seams - by Mesec - 01-01-2021, 01:22 PM