• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  i'ma do just what I want on the regular; reynard

Boundaries are not really a thing as far as Honybee is concerned. She wanders the world, unknowingly crossing in and out of territories as it suits her whims. At nearly two years old she has an innate belief that her young age and charming good looks will cause the world to forgive her much. She hasn't always wandered the world alone, picking up companions here and there since she left her mother, but ever since the eclipse fell, Honybee has met no one.

With a bounding canter, the golden filly makes her way towards a forest with a peculiar smell she's never encountered before. The dark doesn't bother her terribly much and the allure of the heady redwoods mixed with earthy pine draw her forward despite the danger. Ghostly tendrils rise up to swallow her. The fog bites like ice, swirling strangely around Hony's long, lean legs and tasting vaguely of salt. Vainly, she wonders if it sets off the creamy gold of her coat, something she's missed with the disappearance of the sun.

The land smells occupied, but she sees no one at first. She casts her bright eyes towards where the sun used to be and pouts prettily, as if the disappointment of one small girl is enough to revert the worldwide crisis. Soon enough her interest in the massive trees pull her out of her grumpy self-absorption and she heedlessly sprints forward to trot in circles around the base of the giants, ears pricked and completely at ease.

Honybee
    sweet little unforgettable thing

Rey dozed in the bower of a young half-fallen redwood. It had been caught by a fellow, and now leaned at an angle, roots exposed and branches barren. The tree was long dead, but the shelter it had created was a welcome hideout. 

Now the moon spotted youth rested there, eyes shut but ears twitching occasionally as sounds filtered from the forest. Chirring insects and the occasional bird call weren't uncommon, but it was the wind in the trees that filled his head most. That almost constant roaring had been his lullaby since birth, since before the sun went out. It was the sound of home. He sighed deeply, falling very nearly into true sleep. 

His eyes snapped open. 

A sound that didn't quite belong teased at the edge of his awareness. A vision of death-quick monsters flitted across his mind's eye before the thud of hoof beats registered. Not a rhythm he recognized from his family, though. 

Lifting a head with short but sharp horns crowning it, he blinked the sleep from his eyes, hoping for a glimpse of whoever it was. A blur of paleness, maybe, threaded through what he knew would be tree trunks if he could see them properly. He frowned, wondering if he should get one of the adults. No time, he decided, a moment before his own voice broke the quiet. 

"Who's there?" He hollered, doing his best to deepen his voice to something like maturity. He emerged from his twiggy shelter, hesitantly moving in the direction the blur had been moving in. 

@[Honybee]

Honybee has seen the ocean once before, and she starts to recognize the scent with a surge of excitement. Crashing waves on the beach have been her favorite discovery on her journey. It was better in the before, when the morning light lit the water with shades of pink, purple and gold. She could feel the warmth of the sun on her back contrasting with the ice of the sea and watch the strange creatures that lived there dart around her. Is the salty body of water the reason the trees here grow so big? There has to be a reason, after all.

The voice jerks Honybee from her contemplation of flora. Her gangly legs, not quite grown into, stumble a bit as she comes to a graceless halt and cranes her neck to find the source of the disturbance. It doesn't occur to her that she might be the disturbance. To the golden haired mare, the world is her personal playground. She feels assured of her welcome.

The stranger's form isn't fully visible yet but the timbre of his voice makes him sound close to her age, although somewhat rough, like he'd been chewing on twigs. Her answering call is in her usual friendly and open tones. All that remains is to introduce herself and be greeted. She pricks up her ears and trots towards the hoofbeats, words spilling from her lips.

"Oh, hello! I'm Honybee! What's your name? Do you live here?" She pauses to take a breath, before filling the next moment with a half dozen more words. "It's so beautiful! Do you know what makes the trees so big? I wish I could see to the top but I bet you couldn't do that even before the dark came."

Honybee
    sweet little unforgettable thing

ooc: I know that was quick. XD I just happened to be already writing so I decided to put this up tonight!
    Rey found himself halting almost before he'd even begun to move. The stranger covered ground faster than he did, and moved with a confidence that seemed almost wrong in the dark. That she began talking almost immediately was the only reason he didn't take off, as no monster he'd ever met spoke with such fluting tones. 

It was a giveaway, in more ways than one. Discomfort etched his face as he glanced around. "You shouldn't be so loud," he scolded, maybe sharper than necessary. Memory of his twin's assault lingered though, and a sharp tongue was much better in his mind than sharp teeth. "You don't want to attract them, do you?" He asked, baffled. 

This darkness was nearly all he'd ever known. Memory of the time before was a vague thing, when he and his sister had been learning to walk and run and had been thoroughly caught up in the action of being foals. They hadn't drank in the sun just to feel it. Hadn't spent days memorizing what flowers looked like at different times of day, or traced out constellations at night. The world was dark, and had been for the majority of his existence. 

So meeting someone without the survivalist behaviors engrained was exceptional. Voice demonstratively hushed, the colt scowled at the ground. "I'm Reynard," he replied at last, ears swiveling for any off rustling. Not that the monsters generally tipped you off when they arrived. Your first warning was often the last. "Yeah, I live here. Sort of. My family's grove is a bit further. What are you doing here? Where's your family?" 

He couldn't imagine trying to get by without his tangled clan around him. Mothers, sisters, father, all looking out for one another. She could be like Cheri, though, determined to wander despite the risks. He loved his twin dearly but had to wonder sometimes if the brains had been divided unevenly between them. 

@[Honybee] sorry this is so late!
    @[The Monsters] please mess with his Intangibility please!
    @[Reynard] your intangibility has mutated into elasticity