• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  just our hands clasped so tight
    so I take off my face, because it reminds me how it all went wrong
    but I leave in my heart because I don't want to stay in the dark

Mesec had died. It was, if he thought about it, a long time coming - even if he had not been quite expecting it on that day. He had prayed for it once after he had hurt someone he loved. When he was a constant threat to anyone in his life. He had been denied it then.

And it had found him anyway. The violent death he deserved. And though he is glad to carry the memory of Alaska's kind touch with him, he wishes she had not had to see that. Wishes she could have been saved from that sorrow.

He arrives in the afterlife and is greeted by a handful of familiar faces. There is a bittersweet reunion with his parents (and he does manage to suppress his surprise at discovering his mother has a soul).

Time does not exist here so he does not know how long he lingers near them, his friends and his family. He just knows that he never feels the peace he had always expected. Instead, he feels restless.

He drifts from them. For a while, it feels as though his soul is aimless.

Until he arrives at the gateway.

Until he can see the world of the living there on the other side and he knows all he has to do is step forward to get back there.

If it is possible for a soul to smile, his does.

Because even though the world looks dark, he is not ready to stay here. He is not ready to die. He is given the chance for more time.

And Mesec takes it.

art by astralseed at deviantart.com