• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  in a sea gone black
    oceane
    a little white light in a sea gone black

In the dead of night ─ or day, as she is quite unsure which is which now that the whole of Beqanna has succumbed to the darkness ─ the burning horns her newest companion possesses are truly a blessing. Oceane's golden eyes are drawn to them and to the dark obsidian contours of Fiorina's face as the reunite in the foothills of Loess. The inky viper she has employed for his infrared sight with her zoolingualism rests nearby, nestled beside a hot spring in lieu of the warmth of sunlight.

"I want you to know how thankful I am you've decided to join me here," she pauses, a faint grin finding her lips as she motions to the world around them, "Even in its current... state. Though it does hide the aftermath of the wildfire." Some areas of her home had still refused to grow foliage in the spring prior, and so she had held out hope for the coming rebirth in the new year ─ but now, in the darkness, she doubts anything will grow.

"And I want to show you my appreciate by placing you in charge of the Vanguard, if you'll accept it. It's number are... nonexistent at the moment, with Tarian held captive in Pangea, but I have a feeling you could inspire a following."

She is silent then, with bated breath. Part of her still worries about the xenomorph's origins, but Fiorina continues to show the Loessian Queen that her intentions are held out in the open for all to see, regardless of others' feelings.

And that's what the Southern Kingdom needs right now.

@[Fiorina]
    (hello i love u)
    ""

i must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
    and all i ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by
    don't be afraid of the fire, I'd never let you burn

Considering how when they first met, Fiorina had lashed out at Oceane for even suggesting that she had fire horns - she had certainly grown to appreciate them. They made hunting difficult, but now that she wasn’t blind at the same time she enjoyed the challenge. Enjoyed that her tail remained in shadows, ready to strike anything drawn or wary of her fire.

And now, with the world in darkness, she’s come to appreciate the flicker of the firelight.

It dances now over Oceane’s colourful form, illuminating the feathers that still inspire a seed of jealousy as Fiorina’s bone wings rattle against her armoured sides.

There’s a brief uncomfortable tickle at Oceane’s appreciativeness - Fiorina didn’t really know what to do with it. A smile finds its way into her dark eyes at the offer she is given, though and it eases away the discomfort. She likes the idea of helping - but, given her way, it would be a completely thankless job with no mention of it whatsoever.

“Non-existent is better than incompetent, at least.” Fiorina comments with a trace of amusement in her voice. “I’d be happy to take such a position. I have a few of my children that might follow me - they’ll behave themselves, however they may look.” Her smile brightens a little more at that comment, eyes dancing in the fire. She’s sure it won’t take much effort at all to imagine what sort of children she might have birthed (or sired) - and it’s with no shortage of delight that Fio thinks that anything Oceane might be able to imagine won't be far off from the truth.

“You mentioned some trouble caused by your predecessor. Has Loess always been this quiet or is this part of the fallout?”

art by Reitro

@[Oceane]
    oceane

Fiorina's comment inspires a small grin from Oceane ─ war and its catalysts had never come easily to the opaline woman. She could only imagine how counterintuitive it would be to place her upon the battlefield. Even in Nau-Aib, her position on the council had existed only in diplomatics. Incompetent in battle, indeed.

Oceane's gilded eyes watch the way the flames flicker across Fiorina's face, her own smile mirrored in the xenomorph's as the new Loessian accepts the role presented to her. She suddenly feels light in her chest, as if the stone weight that had been sitting there for over a year now had finally crumbled into nonexistence. For the first time since Lepis' death, the Queen of the South feels something akin to hope. Even the mention of Fiorina's children, likely just as intimidating in appearance and personality as the xenomorph before her, draws relief through her winged body. "I trust that you'll keep them in line," she responds in kind, with laughter on the edges of her words.

At mention of the harbinger before her, Oceane can only sigh and nod at the latter option Fiorina has presented to her. "Loess was lively when it became my home. But Castile's own spiral into madness caused many Loessians to flee, and then there were others who were not pleased that it was Lepis who bore the crown after his disappearance."

She continues into the history of her life in Loess, recounting overtly the times that both she and her son had been stolen away to live as captives in Pangea, and ending finally with the fiery razing caused by Ghaul and his counterparts that had leveled Loess and murdered Lepis.

She pauses briefly, her eyes peering out into the darkness around them as if looking for Pangean intruders again, before returning them to Fiorina. "And now they hold Tarian captive, the man I had intended to make Loess' Champion. I can't say that I blame those who left these foothills in search of something more peaceful."

@[Fiorina]
    ""

don't be afraid of the fire, I'd never let you burn

Some of the names Oceane tells in her story mean nothing to her - but others are surprisingly familiar. It comes with no shortage of amusement to know how pieces of their lives had been twisted together long before they met when Fiorina’s sight was gone. She listens with an interest that is not feigned and does not outwardly react to the mention of Pangea (where she knew her grandmother and mother were likely to have helped keep Oceane and her son under watch) nor Ghaul (who had sired two of her children).

Although she’s sure Oceane would’ve already guessed her blood ties to the Pangean monsters, Fiorina decides it is probably for the best not to remind her, nor bring up anything else. Privately, she is pleased to have this extra knowledge about Ghaul - to know he had grown up fierce and powerful, even if he had perished in the end as well. They had reunited when Fiorina had been blind and it had not been a gentle affair by any means.

Still. If the twins she bore him join her here, it is good that while they have strength in their veins from their father as well, they do not favour him in looks aside from their starry markings that can be seen on many these days.

She nods her head and there's a faint glimmer of a smile in her black eyes. “I cannot blame them either.” Her gaze drifts then too, scanning the dark landscape around them. It'll be good, she thinks, to have a purpose again. A tangible goal. “So long as I live here, though, I’ll do whatever’s in my power to make Tarian’s captivity the last Loess sees.” Her knife tail twitches a little and she does hope it will see some action in her service to this kingdom. Peace is all well and good - but a little activity wouldn't be scorned either.

art by Reitro

@[Oceane]
    oceane

Oceane concludes her recollection of Loess' recent history with a quiet sigh and a hopeful gaze flung in Fiorina's direction. The xenomorph had listened attentively, and though the Loessian Queen had guessed at her lineage back when they'd first met, she is still partially, selfishly, thankful that Fiorina does not draw added attention to it - though, in actuality, it means nothing. It does not change her decision nor detract from the growing trust she feels for the leader of her Vanguard.

It just is.

Fiorina's commitment to helping Loess find an age of peace, albeit not entirely, settles her more pressing concerns. "Thank you, Fiorina. Truly. If there's anything you need from me, I trust you'll let me know." Her golden eyes flick away from the obsidian woman, into the darkness beyond her, and motions with her chin towards the heart of Loess. "Let's go introduce you to the few others who still call Loess home. Then I promise you can be done with diplomacy for the day."

@[Fiorina]
    (i'm sorry it's so SHORT but i want to start a new one with them soon!)
    ""