• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  take the black out of the night, jamie
    Jamie
    He knows very little about the things that had taken place when he’d been away at the Plains. He does not know that Pangea had been torn apart and then rebuilt. He does not know about the woman who had been tasked with leading it or how the earth had swallowed her whole when it had deemed her unworthy. He had heard news that Desire had taken the helm but nothing about how she had arrived there. So he does not know what she means when she says she had simply done what no one else did.

But he smiles that shark-tooth smile all the same. Things are changing, he can feel it.

The darkness swims around them, pulsing with life. He can feel the shadow things calling to him, beckoning for him to follow him into the depths. He struggles to keep his attention focused on Desire, congratulating him. And he makes no effort to shirk her congratulations, he does not think himself unworthy of them.

No, the heart swells with pride. He is not humble, Jamie, not in the same way he used to be. He tilts his peculiar head and studies her through the dark. Does she know, truly, how far he had to climb? From the crippled child he’d been to the creature that stands before her now. How steep the climb had been. How spectacularly meteoric his rise. But he will not gloat.

He drags in a rattling breath and nods. “I am proud,” he rasps, fog gathering around his legs. “My life has been strange and dreadful,” he tells her without any trace of self-consciousness. It is the most natural thing in the world for him to admit this. “It seems only right that there should be nothing outside of my reach now.

He’d earned it, he thinks, even before he’d ever set foot on a battlefield. But he does not elaborate. He has said enough already.

( FROM THE DESTRUCTION, OUT OF THE FLAME
    YOU NEED A VILLAIN, GIVE ME A NAME )

@[Desire]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: take the black out of the night, jamie - by jamie - 01-31-2021, 02:44 PM