• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  You've changed and it sucks
    Awakening to the darkest of nights and the longest of black days; this is how I greet Islandres the day after returning home to it. Her score of animal inhabitants are now secured in their true colors, blended naturally into the neverending eclipse. I am not so lucky as to be granted their abilities, except that of flight and no matter how high I careen and pitch with my wings it would be useless. I still couldn’t see.

I’d had a dream the night before, a dream where my world was foggy and grayscale but not unseen. There, inside the waking nightmare, I walked and walked but found no end and no purpose to the journey, only frustration when I’d found that the path led in a circle. Again and again I tried, unsuccessfully, to navigate the false world and its riddle and each time it seemed like the circle only expanded but never changed shape. I was walking farther and farther to nowhere and nothing. Until I roared, angrily, and out of the dinge came a twisting little creature suspended on a string.

A spider, glistening and expert at its craft, dropped down to look at me with interest and then it began to weave. Thread by thread, line by line, it told the story of a pegasus mare looking down at her young foal and then taking to the sky as soon as his back was turned and his guard left down. Where she went, the spider would not say. I watched it weave and spin until I realized that I was small just like it, insignificant but building the story myself with a shining silken thread of purpose, wandering aimlessly along the paths I’d crisscrossed already time and time again.

When I awoke, there was darkness and the sensation of a thousand prickling limbs scurrying over my skin.

I tried. Someone nearby spoke up and I came to with a start, reacting by tensing for flight or a certain fight, but the disembodied voice said again, I tried.

“Who are you?” I demanded to know, smirking. Quizzical. Unusual. How very interesting. The voice refused to respond. I opened the palm of my magic and swept it across the space in front of me, looking to place that thread of connection with whatever living soul I could find nearby, and found my attempt swatted back by a much more powerful iron fist.

“I said who are you.” The question came out as a snarl, and I went from smiling to sneering, bristling underneath. Barely contained.

Narcisus

A thread with myself for plot purposes
    [Image: decgetu-410f2b50-f05d-4438-bd4c-5d54e999...4Ft1YXr36M]

And the walls kept tumbling down in the city that we love

He’d only just been a baby. A little foal the last time Eyas had seen him, though she’d seen through his eyes as they aged a hundred or so times more after that. Beautiful, she’d named him at first because he’d been so handsome and every time she looked into his lovely, warm eyes she saw the gaze of everyone she’d loved and lost before staring right back at her.

Narcisus had been God born and sent, and he (like Carnage) had fooled Eyas utterly and totally in the beginning. For months the little pegasus mare had fed him, bathed him, cared and loved him in the shelter of the forest where most vagabonds wouldn’t venture alone and where most others avoided because it lacked a direct route to any one main land. After the fall of her parents, she’d withdrawn there and cradled his growing form inside of her warm belly like a precious, terrifying secret - too afraid to tell anyone what had happened, though she was absolutely sure Gale knew where she was.

What else could Eyas have done? Brought him home to Islandres? Recognized him as her get, her blood-and-flesh despite the incestuous nature of his creation? At first, she’d considered it highly, but then as the months turned on one another and Narcisus grew she realized that what she’d thought was love had only really been the illusion of it. How could she love the little monster who killed innocent insects under his hooves for the simple joy of hearing their hard shells crackle beneath the weight of his tiny body? How could she love the spitting image of herself, filled with everything she hated about her own existence, out there walking and breathing the air like it was his inborn right. Like he was a gift to the world and not the other way around, as it should be.

So she contemplated killing him and found that she couldn’t do that, either.
    Always had Eyas been the weakest triplet, despite what Tiercel and Gale thought.

“I tried.” She muttered to his sleeping form, finally deciding to come to him before he uncovered her at last. Her little grown colt startled awake. “I tried.” Eyas sighed.

He, on the other hand, demanded to know who she was, which Eyas chose not to satisfy for the sake of disliking his tone. He reached out - offensive creature - to try and force the answer, and in retaliation she slapped the physical pull away with her own glancing sword, swift and deadly. That he did not like.

“I am all that you are and more.” Eyas replied bitterly. Narcisus fell silent. She was speaking in riddles, but Eyas longed to avoid the obvious while she could.
    Narcisus, however, wasn’t so blind despite the darkness.

Grey clouds roll over the hills, bringing darkness from above

► Powerplay Me : Powers (any)
    “Mother?” I asked incredulously. Mother? Why was that such a hard word to say? Why did it stumble off my tongue and shudder to a stop, and why did it have a way about it that revealed how insecure I truly was?

Mother?

Eyas, the mare spat back. My name is Eyas. She gave life to a word I’d known only as a foal, and then killed it in the same expert stroke of cruel intentions. There was ice in her voice, in her mannerisms - no warmth for the child long lost many years ago. I stepped forward to the sound of her teeth clacking together, snap snap! A warning to tread no closer, so I stopped. But why? Why should I? “I’ve been looking for you for so long-” I told her, breathlessly.

I know. Came her reply, and it was just as hateful as anything else she’d said to me so far. I didn’t understand… why the animosity? Why wasn’t she holding me, why wasn’t she crying? I’d searched the world over as far as I could, flown every single day when the light had dawned in order to find her. Asked a thousand questions and then a thousand more with no success. And all this time… she knew?

“Why?” I asked her, starting to pant. I could feel something burning in my gut, something growing and making my insides tremble. My cheeks were flush and unseen in the dark, and I could feel the tingling sensation of a hundred tiny limbs scurrying over my skin. Uncomfortable. I was starting to get angry with her - with this mare. “Why didn’t you come back?” I wanted to know. She owed me that, at least.

You’re a monster, Narc. She spat at me. An evil little wretch. I’m glad I can’t see you now, or else I’d be fooled into loving you all over again, but I always knew what you were in my heart. She told me, and I could hear the sound of rustling feathers in the long night. So I left you. But you couldn’t stay away, could you? You had to come here of all places. You couldn’t just disappear. Eyas said, and every word felt like a stinging lash against my hide. I thought she would finish then. I thought the worst was said, over and done with, but apparently I was wrong.

You’re a bastard-born, inbred demon and you will never be a son of mine. I refuse you, Narcisus. Her voice lowered. She stepped forward; I reeled backwards. I banish you. Do you hear me? She insisted, and at first I didn’t get the hint. My skin was crawling, itching, uncomfortable. I wanted to tear it off.

I said, I banish you. Get out. She snarled. Get out of here. Get off of this Island and never come back. Eyas hissed, the sound of a viper rearing its head for the strike, and I felt powerless against her decree. I unfurled my wings and stumbled backwards into the darkness, tripping over vines and pulling myself away from the void that sneered back in the dark. The cackle and chitter of night creatures loomed over me, but they were a welcome reprieve from the hate I couldn’t see with my own eyes.

If you return, I’ll kill you. She threatened at last, but I was already flapping my way through the impenetrable jungle, fighting my way through the canopy out toward the dark sky where I could breath again and choke away the tears.

She might be right; I may be a monster, just inbred bastard blood, but Eyas was wrong about one thing: I would return, and when I did… it would be her life I took instead.

Narcisus

[Image: decgetu-410f2b50-f05d-4438-bd4c-5d54e999...4Ft1YXr36M]