• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  you say you want your freedom, any

The light that meets the dark

No sense in staying put when the world’s sky was an open invitation, he meant. At the thought of it Cheri's wings itched despite being tired. The gift of flight ran halfway through her family’s bloodline like the random flip of a coin, missing her twin brother and hitting Cheri instead. Her uncle Nashua had them and her father Yanhua had been born without, only later understanding that they’d been present if not seen. She doubted her father would get much use of them; Yan was the grounded type. Her father loved Taiga with an almost unhealthy sort of reverence. Cheri though… she considered Starlore’s comment with a shrug of her colorfully lit wings.

There were benefits and drawbacks to everything. Her wings could hold her aloft and take her places eventually, but they were a pain currently. They’d waylaid her here in Silver Cove instead of doing their job appropriately, even if that mishap had a silver (or golden?) lining. They constantly got in the way, picked up debris between their many feathers, and required habitual preening to keep in shape. Starlore was right about one thing, however: they were totally cool. Cheri thought so and she was glad to hear that feeling confirmed from a near-stranger.

Cool, but still a pain in her ass sometimes.

“Somewhere near the ocean huh?” She smiled politely, lifting her head after taking a gulping drink. Had he ever heard of the islands to the west, she wondered? Cheri only knew of their existence from her father’s pining to visit them someday, and her uncle Nash’s travels. She didn’t know the names of the small land masses, or who lived there. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

Rubbing her damp lips over the curve of her knee, Cheri cleaned her mouth and readjusted. Her swaying legs stood square again and she flicked her vibrant, green tail against the slope of her patterned hide. Starlore looked… pensive. She wanted to comfort him somehow, promise him that time would fly between now and then, but the words died in her throat. In a world such as theirs, promises were hard to come by and even harder still to keep. In the end, Cheri felt it was best just to be sincere.

“I won’t forget.” She murmured softly, ears aloft and eyes steadfast on his comely face. This close to one another she could see the finer details of his skin, how the blue looked more like the surface of a stone broken up with strands of gleaming gold, and his eyes… Starlore’s eyes were a rich navy, not black like she’d originally thought. The Taigan filly committed this all to her memory before speaking up again. “Thank you — for helping me.”

And then her grin tilted higher.

“But I don’t think it was me that broke the rock. I’ve been trying the entire way here. Nothing.” She admitted with a quiet laugh.

@[starlore]

Messages In This Thread
    you say you want your freedom, any - by starlore - 02-09-2021, 03:15 PM
    RE: you say you want your freedom, any - by Cheri - 02-09-2021, 06:51 PM
    RE: you say you want your freedom, any - by Cheri - 02-20-2021, 06:15 PM
    RE: you say you want your freedom, any - by Cheri - 02-26-2021, 12:09 PM
    RE: you say you want your freedom, any - by Cheri - 03-09-2021, 12:36 PM
    RE: you say you want your freedom, any - by Cheri - 03-21-2021, 11:59 AM
    RE: you say you want your freedom, any - by Cheri - 04-06-2021, 01:52 PM
    RE: you say you want your freedom, any - by Cheri - 04-15-2021, 10:46 PM
    RE: you say you want your freedom, any - by Cheri - 04-27-2021, 02:28 PM