• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  let no good time slip away

Tamlin wakes and finds it’s another day without the sun. Or maybe it’s just nighttime and in a few hours the sun will be up? It’s the same thought he has every single time he wakes up - a year worth of disappointment. It never lasts very long, though.

There’s always something to distract him.

Today it’s the fact that Lockie is pregnant again. He’d suspected it for a while now but it’s pretty obvious today. She’s getting old, though - more grey hair around her muzzle (which incidentally makes her look more like her namesake and never fails to make Tamlin laugh). This might be her last litter.

Those sad thoughts are chased away by the excitement over having new pups to meet in the spring, and Tamlin extracts himself from the pile of other wolves that he had fallen asleep with in order to greet the matriarch properly. Most of the others continue to doze but everyone wakes when movement nearby draws their attention.

“Aero! Is that you?” Tamlin likes to ask this question, even though this particular sister is one of the lucky ones that gets to keep her flesh during the all-exclusive darkness vacation they’re being treated to. Some of the others aren’t so easy to tell apart - but Tamlin’s never been too worried about being identified. Not when he’s surrounded by a pack of wolves lazing around, anyway.

t a m l i n

artwork by space1993

@[aero]

only silence remained, holding my breath in the dark; gasping for air with the lungs of a lark

Aero has never quite understood why she feels like an outsider amongst the pack that is her family—why she feels as though she is perpetually on the outside looking in. Perhaps it is because there’s something so profoundly sad within her when she has no reason to feel that way. Perhaps because there’s a dark neediness in her that is constantly clambering for more. Perhaps it is, instead, that she was poisoned at such young age with Molech’s specific brand of manipulation and she would forever be chasing that high.

Whatever it is, she does not often expect to be sought out by her siblings.

And when, today, she is, she is not certain how to react.

She hears the call of her older brother and she startles, lifting her head suddenly and swiveling toward the source of it. Without thinking, she shifts into the form of his favored wolves—choosing one that is red and rangy, built for traveling with a keen nose and sharp ears. She considers bounding away back to her solitude, but there is a loneliness that pangs in her breast and so she lopes forward instead, doing her best to hide away the more intrusive thoughts behind a shy smile when she breaks through the shadows.

Her faint glow is lessened in this form, but she still manages to emit it as she nears him, studying the now familiar skeleton that so much of her family wears these days. “Tamlin,” she says with a genuine smile, shaking her head and then the rest of her body, padding closer toward him. “How have you been?”

She pauses then, laughing nervously and dropping her gaze with a frown.

“I’m sorry—that’s such a silly question.”

aero

Tamlin doesn’t let his own smile falter (forgetting for the moment that it’s invisible to her anyway) - but he feels his heart ache when Aero’s expression falls into a frown and she apologizes for her perfectly good question. Tamlin considered it a personal mission to make sure that no one frowned in his presence and he was going to add ‘no one feels the need to apologize’ to that list too. Clearly, he and Aero were just going to have to hang out so much more until she was both all smiles and completely sick of him.

That was his usual method when it came to family relationships.

Besides - it hadn’t been a dumb question at all! All things considered, he hadn’t been minding the whole darkness. For one, their home was illuminated both by the magma rivers and the birds so it was only a little dark. The biggest pain was just being stuck as a skeleton.

He was incapable of worrying about whether this would last forever so, even though they were in the second year of it, he still felt pretty confident that it was temporary.

But he’s not really thinking about the state of the world right now - he’s too busy doing his best to be the dumb goofy older brother he wants all his siblings to see him as. “I’m so jealous you can shift, you know. Shift AND glow, you’re so lucky. All I got are my shiny hooves.” He tilts his head, his smile showing in his bright tone. “I miss having flesh but other than that, I’m not doing too bad though.” He looks behind him to where his pack is relaxing, thanks in part to the steady stream of calming thoughts Tamlin is sending their way.

His skull head tilts to the side in a puppy-like movement when he turns his attention back to Aero. He doesn’t return the question - not because he doesn’t want to know, but because he’d rather do something that might make her smile again. “The wolf I named after dad is pregnant again, wanna come meet her? You're dressed for it!”

t a m l i n

artwork by space1993

@[aero]