• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  They won’t let me swim free

a little white light in a
    sea gone black

Though nearly innavigatable on her own, the Loessian Queen has grown comfortable with the endless dark that has befallen Beqanna. She has yet to venture from the familiarity of her beloved foothills since the sun had made its final departure, instead opting to stand in solidarity with the residents who also belong to her kingdom. Her nerves continue to settle, albeit minimally, as time passes and no assault or clandestine strike comes at the hands of Hyaline. The presence of Tarian and Fiorina have assisted in that regard, she has no doubt.

Oceane offers the pair a polite nod and gentle smile as she gazes at them in the near dark, the trio illuminated by the flickering of Fiorina’s flames. Despite the impression of privacy the Long Night gives them, the opaline woman instinctively keeps her voice low as she addresses her Champion and Vanguard Primary.

“I’m sure you’ve crossed paths at this point, but I wanted all of us to meet to talk about the future of Loess,” she offers hardly a preamble, a reflection that these days she has been shying away from time-consuming, shallow small talk ─ more so in the company of those she trusts.

“What are you finding in your roles so far?” She extends the inquiry to both of them, curious and eager to hear how they’ve been fulfilling their respective duties and what, if anything, has caused them trouble. Oceane is not disillusioned by any means ─ Loess’ numbers are still minimal but seem to be growing, prompting hope that some will opt to join the Vanguard beneath Fiorina’s command. It’s Tarian who she hopes has had a quiet time of things since assuming his role as Champion; it’s an important role, deciding whether those who journey across their borders are friend or foe, and dealing promptly with the latter.

She falls into silence now with a flick of her lavender tail and an expectant look in her bright amber eyes, ready to receive what Fiorina and Tarian have for her.

@[Fiorina] & @[Tarian]
    “”

n | r
    i must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
    and all i ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by
    Lady Oceane continues to surprise him but Tarian always conceals it behind a stoic expression. It's not a hard thing to do when it's the face that he has worn his entire life but some part of him is still surprised that the opalescent queen had made a vagabond from outside Beqanna the Champion of Loess.

What surprised him, even more, was that he wanted this; that as more time passed, Tarian found himself coming to enjoy the role that afforded him an identity again. It's been some time since he has been anything other than a nameless rank in an army. Another life to gamble with on the battlefield.

He nods in greeting to Fiorina because she is one of the few faces he recognizes (apart from their Queen). They haven't spoken before this but he is aware of her. There are only so many to be aware of in Loess, after all.

Tarian had been curious what her plans as the Vanguard Primary consisted of. Battling techniques and tactics were what the majority of his time consisted of in Beyond - training for the Air Guard in Liridon, as as an heir in Paraiso. His ears prick forward now, hoping that she might say something of them. What @[Oceane] asks of them both makes the silver stallion reflect before speaking. His dark mouth presses into a thin line as his mind replays the hours of patrols and journeying outside the Loessian borders.

"Quiet," is what he finally tells the Queen. It's said slowly, as if the winged stallion hasn't trusted it (and he doesn't - this perpetual night has cast shadows of doubt in many places for Tarian). There have been no travelers who have come across their borders that have sought anything more than rest. But there had been more in the beginning is what he explains to Oceane. It wasn't uncommon for him to find a wanderer seeking water or a place to hide in their canyons from the monsters.

But the steady trickle has almost died out.

That was when he had started venturing outside of Loess and this is something else that he reports to Lady Oceane and @[Fiorina]. They've gained another (temporary?) member in Ashhal, a still-healing stallion who had a particularly nasty wound. With the planes of his sterling face illuminated by the flames of the armored mare, he sighs and resettles his wings against his broad barrel, allowing the silence to settle around them once more.
    don't be afraid of the fire, I'd never let you burn

Fiorina had not technically been working very hard at her job so far. Or, parts of it at least. Finding new recruits to boss around and train for Loess’ defences had not quite seemed so important as the darkness had stretched on and on. She spent most of her time patrolling and looking after her youngest set of troublesome twins.

It is amusing to think back on her last meeting with Oceane and how Fiorina had made a point to mention her offspring, alluding to those with armoured ridges and sharp teeth, but in reality, it had turned out to be two spotted foals with tendencies towards (harmless) mischief.

The light from her fire horns makes this meeting almost cozy as Fiorina regards the pair with her. She cannot help but scowl at the wings that adorn Tarian’s sides - though she makes some effort not to allow the expression to linger for long. It often feels like the fates mock her every time she’s forced to interact with someone with feathered wings. Her own bony appendages rattle slightly against her armoured sides but she focused on Oceane - on this meeting.

She notes with a veiled amusement how their queen lowers her voice when she speaks, as though they’re about to share some secrets. This huntress casts another glance around them but all her senses are telling them that they are alone. Tarian speaks first, drawing her attention back, and his observations are as uninteresting as her own. Aside from the perpetual darkness, Fiorina hasn’t found this to be a very interesting little interlude.

She hasn’t even had the chance to test her mettle against one of the shadowy creatures. All those she’s come near have shied away. Looking for easier meals, perhaps - but it was rather disappointing.

When it’s her turn, Fiorina would lament that she doesn’t have anything interesting to share - but she doesn’t mind. It’s better that way, probably. “I’ve nothing much to report - quiet is accurate. My main focus has been keeping the borders safe in the darkness. Encouraging any of those shadow beasts not to pester those within.” She doesn’t call them monsters - they’re not family.

art by Reitro

@[Oceane]

a little white light in a
    sea gone black

Quiet.

The news confirmed by both Tarian and Fiorina comes as no surprise, though Oceane feels reassured nonetheless. While they grow accustomed to the absence of the sun’s diurnal travels, quiet is good.

And while their Vanguard remains scant, quiet is great.

The information Tarian provided them regarding Ashhal had piqued her curiosity, however, and she circles back to it after Fiorina has finished her own reporting ─ “Do you know the cause of his wound?” Oceane possesses no qualms or reservations in relation to housing those who require safety from whoever it is they may require safety from, but if the source of Ashhal’s problems is anything other than the shadow beasts now roving the whole of Beqanna, it’s best they all be aware.

She listens to Tarian’s reply intently, her ears pressed forward and amber eyes evaluating his expression in the firelight. When she is content with the information and they have determined whether any additional attention would need to be paid to Ashhal’s situation, the Loessian Queen guides the conversation toward the next topic on their agenda.

“I’d like you both to visit one of our protectorates. I’ve yet to hear from them since the shadow beasts arrived, and I had concerns about them even before that.” She’d only interacted with Noah and Sabra once since Lepis had died and she had taken Loess’ helm, but the opaline woman hadn’t been overly impressed in either instance. “Fiorina,” she turns her gaze to the xenomorph and offers a small, amused smile, “I think it would be best for you to be the one to visit Sabra in Sylva. She might prove to be a bit difficult to converse with.” She indicates to Tarian that that leaves him with Noah in the Pampas ─ she doubts that conversation will be eventful, if it even occurs at all. “I’d like to know how Sylva and the Pampas are faring, and your honest opinions of Sabra and Noah upon your return. I am comfortable here on my own for now, considering the recent silence, but I still ask that you return as soon as you can with your reports.”

@[Fiorina] & @[Tarian]
    “”

n | r
    i must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
    and all i ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by

The stallion nods with an answer. "It was one of those foul-," and then bites his tongue. "A monster," he replies a moment later with a steadier voice. The orange flames of Fiorina's horns offer enough light for the gray stallion to rise to the amber eyes of the Loessian Queen. A solemn explanation follows when he meets her gaze: "One came upon me and Ashhal took the brunt of the attack."

It's a matter of honor with him. The thing had leaped at him and Ashhal had been the one who jumped towards it. So it becomes a debt for Tarian and the silver pegasus has never left one owed.

"The wound isn't fatal but my knowledge of healing is limited and I'd prefer not to invite infection." He looks to Fiorina because Tarian isn't entirely sure of who else might reside within the South. The armored mare had come before him so perhaps she might be able to help - "If either of you knows a healer..." Aiding a warrior isn't a kingdom affair. But his best chance is asking the two mares he keeps company with now. (It's just that this is where the winged stallion struggles; Tarian isn't accustomed to asking. Years alone have prevented it.)

After he has spoken, the conversation shifts to @[Fiorina] and the silver horse listens as she tells much the same story that Tarian had. The borders were quiet. Those still inside Loess seemed to be quieter than the things outside their borders and that seemed to work in the Southlands favor. He's seen death and decay - more outside the Southern Kingdom than in. Another point in their favor.

He takes the chance to openly study the sharp and fierce angles of the armored mare while their Queen makes her next request known. The leader of the Vanguard is to go to the blazing forest and find its leader - Sabra - while he is to go to the Pampas, where he may or may not find its keeper, Noah. Tarian casts one more look at Fiorina before his blue eyes return to find those of Lady @[Oceane]. "As you wish, My Lady." There is a moment of worry in the back of his mind that once both and the Vanguard Primary leave, something could go wrong.

The monsters could become unleashed, ravenous in a way that they hadn't been before. Maybe what little light they have could be snuffed out altogether. Maybe danger would come for the Queen or whatever other Loessians in another shape entirely.

Maybe the weight of your worries will make the stars come crashing down, he chides himself. Maybe the sun will return, only to light the entire world in flame and we all perish.

Thoughts like these would do him or his Kingdom any service. He waits for anything that his other companion might have to offer before nods again, realigning himself to the present and the mission that has been asked of them. "If there is nothing else," says the silver pegasus, "I will leave for the Pampas immediately."