• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I think it's strange you never knew

Avelina had been feeling not quite like herself for some time now. At first, she thought it was upset over having failed at rescuing those trapped in the afterlife - or wherever it was. Then, when more signs began to point to her being pregnant - well, that would certainly make her feel a little off... wouldn’t it?

Butterflies certainly flutter in her stomach whenever she thought about being a mom - about how happy she was to be sharing this experience with one of her dearest friends.

She finds out what is off about her - what has changed - in the worst possible way. She finds out as she reaches down to touch her daughter, a beautiful girl of charcoal and stars, and her muzzle goes through the filly. She finds out as the girl stands and falls and Avelina is unable to catch her or help her back up.

She finds out when the girl goes to feed and cannot.

An ache twists in her heart at the filly’s hunger and distress. It inspires something new in Avelina - determination. And even though her soft green eyes are welling with tears, she tries to focus on being solid. Tries to make herself accessible - maybe if she tries hard enough she’ll be able to be enough.

The daughter she hasn’t yet thought to name begins to cry too and it breaks her concentration - the fireflies that normally dance so close to her are moving erratically in wide circles, picking up on her stress. For once, Avelina does not worry about them - she is instinctively lowering her head to soothe the crying filly only to be reminded when her skin does not come into contact with the girl. Her voice cracks when she speaks as she tries to use words instead, as if words could fix this. “I’m sorry baby, I’m trying.”

@[isakov]

Messages In This Thread
    I think it's strange you never knew - by Avelina - 03-28-2021, 01:53 PM