• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  its all up in the air and we stand still
    Gale
    this is going to break me clean in two --
    this is going to bring me close to you

The redwood in front of him is impressively large, but it is not the tree itself that has captured Gale’s attention. A small squirrel is climbing up the thick ridges of bark, but it is the very oddest squirrel that Gale has ever seen. Instead of soft fur, there are pine needles and soft lichen growing along its back, and Gale is very sure that’s a small pinecone midway down its tail. The squirrel disappears around the otherside of the tree before he can get a closer look, and rather than alter his sight to peer through the tree, Gale instead recalls his original purpose in coming to the edge of the redwood forest.

He has family living here, family that he has never met.

Before the Darkness, he’d always planned to come here, but time had never been on his side. Now that he knows it is ticking down, he has seized the opportunity that the light’s return has given him, and come to Taiga.

Gale had arrived on foot, and the white feathered wings that he most often wears are nowhere to be seen. They are an extension of his shifting, and today Gale has chosen to not use magic. That includes searching out the body heat of any approaching horses, he reminds himself, and settles down to graze on the grass and ferns that grow thickly at the base of many of the large trees.

@[Yanhua] @[anyone]

There was too much for Yanhua to think about these days. Cheri was home, and so was Reynard it seemed. Targaryen had been accounted for as well, along with a band of horses who kept to the most remote locations in these woods. Yanhua knew about them from his mother, and had carefully paid them a visit to speak over everything that had happened since the sun’s return. To his surprise, their lot was as peaceful as he could’ve imagined, though a bit weird because they seemed differential to the state of the universe. For them, the sun was of little issue.

Yanhua was sure that eventually, given Leilan’s sudden reappearance and considering where he’d been, who he’d seen, Amarine and the rest would return to their post. Save one, of course… But he held that sorrow deep inside of his chest and thought of what Lilliana would want instead, if she were here. She would want him to do his best, be his best for the legacy she’d built here out of twigs, fog, the stars and a dream.

So Yanhua resigned to do just that.

He made his rounds much more quickly these days, almost as if the world had sped up around him and now he needed to be rushing in order to do several things at once. When before he’d had the opportunity to languish in a fine patch of rare sunlight or meander to taste the best patch of sweet red ferns, now he was doing exercises with his wings daily and flexing the small bit of magic he had in order to become intangible, so he could pass through the trees during his watches. This was the way of things; tradition fell heavy on his winged shoulders and Yan upheld it, pausing mid-trot on one of the main traveling roads winding out from the redwoods in order to get a look at who was waiting there.

“Come in, come in!” He whinnied, tossing the horns situated on his head as if to wave Gale on through. He assumed this traveler (having never met Gale) wasn’t aware that by now, the Taigan’s all but considered those customs relics of a time passed. There wasn’t a use in trying to prevent the coming-and-going, not with so little horseflesh capable or mad enough to do what Yan was doing constantly. Once in the morning and once in the evening, if Yan or one of his other family members could manage it. Among those living here, Yan felt comfortably sure of their ability to find lingerers or weed out negative energy without falsely projecting an image of heavily guarded woods.

He welcomed the idea of newcomers here, and perhaps (deep, deep down) he would even enjoy a bad apple trying their luck.

“I’m Yanhua, known as the Guardian around here these days. May the winds be at your back, good fellow.” He beamed down at Gale as soon as they were closer to one another, his wings of light cupping one another like a soft, golden cape over Yanhua’s chestnut hide. “Eat your fill; I know a good water source too, if you need it.” Yanhua’s smile was genuine, though his eyes flicked curiously over Gale. The other stallion was a large package of a horse, well-built with fur a striking shade of blue. Across his hide there was a random assortment of white markings, incomplete in their design but matching well enough with the stranger’s starch-white mane and tail. “If you need rest, you’re welcome to take that here as well. Taiga was lucky during the hard times, we have plenty to share. Just be wary if you go sight-seeing… the redwoods were not the place they were before the Eclipse.” Yan winked.
    YANHUA
    Image by Ani2ad

@[Gale]
    Gale

Gale has just taken a large mouthful when he hears the sound of hooves. He chews and swallows by the time the horse comes into view, and even without the magic of his Sight he recognizes his younger sibling.

There is a long tuft of hair growing from the chestnut’s chin, and though Gale had only Seen it as an adolescent sprout, it looks much less out of place on Yanhua’s face as an adult. He’d not noticed the glowing in his briefly borrowed vision from Nashua, but even in the daylight there is a glow to the stallion’s hair, and even something shimmering about his sides.

He already knows who Yanhua is, but the title that follows after isn’t one he’d expected. It takes him a moment to remember that the Guardian is their leader, and the realization is plain on his blazed face, as is his appropriately respectful nod.

Yanhua does not know him on sight, but Gale doesn’t expect him to. There’s not quite a chance to introduce himself between the other’s welcome, but the welcome is effusive enough that he doesn’t even notice, and warm enough that Gale is smiling without even realizing it by the time he mentions the Eclipse.

“This is my first visit,” the brindle admits, “And I do like snacks.” He’d spent most of his first years on Islandres eating everything he saw, after all, and it is hard to dislike anyone who so freely offers refreshment to a stranger.

“My name is Gale.”

@[Yanhua]

Gale’s comment was a brief but laughable one, which Yanhua appreciated only because it broke through the cloud shadowing his heart presently. The horns atop his head curved back, shifted out of place by the way his long, severe face lifted to bark out a short laugh. Snacks? They had those aplenty and, with Borderline and Memorie’s help, Taiga would soon have more. “All good things in time.” Yanhua checked himself, knowing that Memorie would most likely branch out like a ray of sunlight herself very soon, eager to explore all the world had to offer. Borderline needed rest, and above all else she kept watch over Wit who was growing by the day.

The goatish chestnut lowered his head, expecting all good things from present company until the blue brindle opened his mouth again.

“Brother?” Yan was quick to blurt out, the smile fading from his expression like snow melting from a green bough.

Yes, Yanhua knew Gale by name if not by physical appearance. He and Nashua had very little secrets between them, save the private moments and memories Yanhua respectfully avoided whenever they came together. The Taigan was well-aware that his twin brother was no stranger to their half-siblings, though Yan had never expressed interest in the venture of hunting down Wolfbane’s his sire’s other children. Why? Well… Yanhua would chalk it up to interest in other ventures, like rearing his own family — something he bitterly remembered his sire being the exact opposite of ‘good at’.

But that wasn’t Gale’s fault, and Yanhua (feeling her like a horse feels a constant ghost looking over their shoulder) knew Lilliana would want him to do the right thing in this situation, “so swallow your pride.” Yan schooled himself.

His mouth lifted again, hesitantly optimistic.

“I heard your name on the Alliance roster and thought about introducing myself then, but time got away from me.” Yan admitted. He’d never gone to the second round prior to winning his first bracket, then the Eclipse had happened… “It’s nice to finally meet you.” Yan nodded his head in the same fashion Gale had, with understood respect, and then turned with a flourish of one bright wing to the foggy depths of the summer redwoods. “And it would be my pleasure to lead you directly to the tastiest ‘snacks’ we have to offer. Come; you live on Islandres correct? Tell me about the isle while we walk, I’ve always wanted to visit you know.” The gilded stallion chirped away.

YANHUA
    Image by Ani2ad

@[Gale]
    Gale

It is clear that Yanhua knows who he is, but equally clear is the way his smile slips from his face like the water withdrawing from the beach.

Gale nods, and finds that the ground beneath his feet has suddenly become very interesting, so he inspects the delicate fronds of the fern beside his left hoof rather than respond to the chestnut stallion. He’s never put names to the type of emotions that his brother’s reaction elicits, because he has mostly ignores their infrequent presence in his life.

He might have stared at it until Yanhua walked away, but it seems that the horned stallion’s initial reaction is not going to color the entire interaction, and Gale looks up curiously at the sound of his voice and the mention of the Alliance.

The brindle stallion nods his head at the concept of time getting away from them all, and then manages a smile as Yanhua finally says that it is nice to meet him. Though Gale does want to like him, he wants to be honest even more, so he doesn’t repeat the polite phrase. At least not yet.

But it is hard to be unhappy with the prospect of eating in the near future, and Gale’s smile becomes less hesitant, and his nodding more enthusiastic as the coppery horse begins to lead him into Taiga.

“Oh Islandres is wonderful,” Gale says, describing the clear water, black beaches, and colorful flora. “Probably the prettiest place I’ve ever Seen.” The redwoods are impressive, to be sure, but they are brown and green and Gale doubts they ever change colors, though he does ask just to be sure.

“Nashua said you’re the Guardian now,” Gale continues, stepping wide around a very large mushroom, and then pausing both his walking and his talking to look underneath it. “Cool,” he says quietly more to himself than his companion. “We don't have these on Islandres.”

@[Yanhua]

If nothing flows between the two half-sibling naturally, at least conversation between them is easy enough. They’re used to talking after all, since Yanhua comes from a large family group and Gale is a seasoned chieftain. The only difference is that Yan considers himself a bit more chatty than his half-brother. He smiled to himself at the thought, hoping that Gale would think he was mesmerized by the descriptions of colorful fruit trees and clear waters, but in his heart he disagrees with the idea that Islandres is the most beautiful place. They might have melanistic animals and the lull of a temperate paradise to draw horses in, but no place will ever be as beloved to Yan as Taiga is. He tells Gale that until recently, all of the trees had been more or less the same, then he laughs while describing the silvergreens.

Taiga was evolving; what did the other territories have that could possibly hold to a candle’s flame to such a brilliant, roaring inferno?

“I am.” The tall chestnut says in response to Gale’s news. They paused together at the mushroom towering above them, clustered between the roots of an ancient redwood where smaller but similar fungi had also begun to sprout. “Word travels quickly by wing.” Yan claimed redundantly. If not for his twin brother, the faun stallion highly doubted that anyone would know of his new title for years to come.

“Our mother never returned from the quest that restored the sun, and I was her chosen successor.” He tells Gale quietly. Surprisingly, no hint of sadness escapes along with it. Only a hint of something like pride, and he levels the soft blue of his eyes to watch Gale inspect the mushroom before he turns to head off down the path again. He misses Lilliana, but he won’t tell Gale as much. They don’t know each other like that, and Yan is trying (at least for now) to avoid further discussion about their respective parentage. “King Leilan is going to host a midsummer festival in honor of the light. Think you’ll go? Everyone is invited, but you can consider this a formal inquiry if you like.” He grinned to one side of his mouth, slowing as the main path branched off to the right.

Yan figured he would show Gale the garden. It was a small patch of land that Roselin, Borderline, and Memorie had been tending to in the daylight hours. Roselin took the job to heart and spent most of her days here, while Memorie and Borderline visited occasionally to cultivate new additions or remedy an ailing plant when needed. The tended land was mostly occupied by flowers, but to one side there were edible goods harvested from nearby territories and regrown here with magical aid. Hardy northern white carrots, leafy blooms of purple-veined lettuce, a swath of clover so rich and sweet it was colored blue. If it was snacks Gale wanted, then Yan was determined to provide the very best.

YANHUA
    Image by Ani2ad

@[Gale]