• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I'm going to light it up
    Mazikeen
    The arrival of winter has done nothing to cease Mazikeen’s restlessness. There had been idle thoughts that maybe the colder temperatures would encourage her to slow down, maybe even den somewhere in Hyaline until the little lives she was carrying were ready to emerge. But though she had settled into Hyaline, taking to a permanent home with more ease than she ever thought she would, actually physically staying was not something she excelled at.

So she moves as if prowling will erase her nerves and the thoughts that plague her or the general unease that’s settled into her body. She patrols the borders of her home and when that is still not enough to tire her out she takes paths through the mountains and follows the river north. Mazikeen purposefully chooses routes that are unnecessarily dangerous and ones she does not know well. Though she does not particularly want to be a mom, she’s not trying to risk anything by navigating the steep slopes and testing her skills against gravity - she is just relishing the challenge and the puzzle these routes provide.

And yes, flying would be faster, but the last few days shifting into a bird has been particularly uncomfortable. While she’s pretty sure it’s just because the twins are growing, she also can’t shake the idea that if she’s a bird then the eggs will simply fall out of her so there’s a chance that the discomfort is more mental than physical.

She’s pleasantly winded when she arrives on the banks of the river, looking across it to Taiga. Mazikeen has often looked at the redwoods of the neighbouring land, what she could see from the mountains of her home, but she has never thought to visit. Now, she considers those large trees and wonders why she’s never been tempted to climb them. She thinks of it now, thinks of the different shapes she could take to climb to the very tops of the crowns. How she could swing between the branches in a world so very unlike the one on the ground.

And she thinks too, how Taiga is the home of one of Gale’s brothers - the one who she did not get the chance to properly meet at the festival. She’d recognized his name when he had been called before the crowd, and she’d laughed (quietly and without malice) at the flower crown he had been bestowed with at the ceremony.

Two pleasant thoughts are enough to encourage her to shift into a bear to wade across the cold river and then back into her horse-self on the other bank. Her horns are absent as her head tilts, regarding the forest before her that's illuminated by the cool winter afternoon sun. She lingers there where the two lands meet, aware of her own dislike for visitors that just waltz in and thinking it'd be hypocritical for her to do anything else. Mazikeen doesn't call out either, though - she's got no real purpose here and doesn't need anyone to rush over - and if she's not discovered, home is just a river away and she will pick another challenging route back to the valley.

@[Yanhua]

By the time Yanhua catches the clean scent of the unfamiliar mare, hours have passed. Afternoon dwindled into evening, the stars blinked out from the night sky as if awakening from slumber, and the moon - pregnant with light - ascended to her throne in the heavens in her most full and lovely form. It was a beautiful night for strolling. Yan enjoyed the walk alone through the foggy darkness, not feeling winter’s bite as sharply as he should underneath a thickly-growing overcoat. The season’s past had been good to the Taiga herdland; his clan and the ones remaining were well-fed and ready for the long snap of cold to come. Recently, the new Guardian of the redwoods had heard news of Reave’s ascension as well, given how quickly word could travel in the north these days, and a few weeks had passed since two of his elder offspring had moved out into the world on their own. Life was ... good.

As the chestnut stallion ducked underneath a towering red mushroom, he thought of how happy he was to see Reynard, his eldest son, staying put for the time-being. Nash and Noel’s daughters seemed to turn up now and then as well, though his twin brother had been making frequent trips to the Eastern Kingdom - for what, Yanhua could only guess. He slipped down an incline woven through with roots, picking his footing carefully, and made a mental note to speak with the Hersir of the Isle soon about the comings-and-goings.

Like a wayward lantern, he himself floated eerily along until Mazikeen’s particular smell came up in the wind’s shifting directions, and he altered course toward the riverbanks with a shake of his curving horns.

“Come in, come in!” He called out from far away behind the trees, that same old familiar way he’d done when Gale had come to visit. She looked like an ethereal phantom herself, hard to place as his half-sibling’s mate at first, but the closer Yanhua came the more prevalent Gale’s connection to her was. He remembered her clearly from the festival (even if she was missing a pair of horns he was sure he’d seen on her forehead before) and did nothing to hide the surprise and satisfaction of seeing her here. “Sorry to have kept you waiting lady Mazikeen,” Yan apologized, “I was on the far end of the territory. To what do I owe the occasion?”

YANHUA
    Image by Ani2ad

@[Mazikeen]
    Mazikeen
    It does not bother her, the time that passes - and in the end she’ll be thankful no one arrived while she was still winded from the trip over. While she found it pleasant, the drain of energy, it would’ve bothered her for someone else to see her in a weakened state.

And it is peaceful here, near the river as the sun goes down and the stars come out. Mazikeen has not quite gotten around to thinking about turning to go home when she hears a voice in the shadowy woods call out, inviting her in. It’s Yanhua, and his friendliness inspires an easy smile in her bright orange eyes. Was everyone in their family like this?

It gives her hope for her children. That with a cursed father and a faulty mother, they might still end up okay.

She moves into the trees to meet him, distracted by how small they make her feel, though her attention is (thankfully) easily drawn to the horned stallion and she shakes her head at his apology. “Oh, nothing important - nothing official.” Mazikeen now looks briefly up at the trees surrounding them, their crowns disappearing into the darkness of the night, wondering how to best explain the multitude of reasons she’d found herself here. “I was just feeling restless and I realized that even though I’ve been living in Hyaline for four years I’ve never visited any of the neighbours. I can't believe I haven't tried to climb these trees yet.”

She wonders now if it’s strange that she’s curious about Gale’s brothers, wanting to meet them because they are in his life and he cares for them, so she doesn’t mention that she’d been hoping to run into exactly who ended up greeting her.

“And please, just call me Maze.” Her gaze turns up to his horns, and she grins at the pair of memories that come to her - of Bolder chattering about his uncle and of a flower crown that had been draped over them the last time she had seen the bearded brother. It’s that second memory she speaks of - the teasing note in her voice is as warm and without malice as her laughter had been during the ceremony. “How long did you keep the crown on?”

@[Yanhua]

As Mazikeen wove her way through the evergreens, Yanhua thought about how much he liked the idea of her being here. The inclination wasn’t a possessive kind, nor was it a sense of attraction (though Maze had a raw, powerful beauty.) It was strictly familial. Mazikeen being here meant that the likelihood of Gale coming and going had increased, which could also tempt Yan’s other half-siblings to come around more often. He knew there was bad history linked to this place and their lineage, knew that a concept like openness between himself and the rest of Lepis’s brood might be a heavy undertaking years in the making, but seeing Mazikeen look up in wonder gave him a similar sort of hope as well. That things, as tumultuous as they had been in the past, might be alright in the future.

It gave him reason enough to smile, shake his heavy shoulders with laughter that sounded faintly musical, and reply, “It’s never too late to pick up a new hobby.”

The redwoods could use some climbing, he thought. They were more accustomed to being leapt off, as his twin and Nash’s children were prone to doing. He even suspected that Cheri or Mem had given it a try, too. Mostly their branches were weighed down by nests of all sorts, their leaves rustling with activity from the magical wildlife or blowing and creaking during a particularly windy spell.

“Maze.” He thinks warmly, not at all offended by her tone or the mention of the ‘crowning’ ceremony on the Isle. “I chucked it off like the thing was on fire.” He rolled his eyes, adjusting comfortably. Perhaps he should’ve had a bit more tolerance for the flower crown, considering some horse had gone through the trouble of making it in the first place, but even wearing it for the short amount of time had felt like an unnecessary target for mockery. “As if my horns alone weren’t reason enough to stare.” Yan knew, peering back at Gale’s mate under the dim glow of his yellow-gold light. “I’m off to investigate some of the new biodiversity around here,” He told her, “Want to come along?” Yan offered.

“You could catch me up to speed on things in your neck of the Mountains, tell me how Gale’s been doing. Is he still living in Islandre’s?” Yan moved off a few paces in one direction, careful to leave space for Mazikeen so she wouldn’t feel crowded by him. He knew that time was a rare commodity these days and that she was a busier horse than most, so he wouldn’t be offended if she declined.

YANHUA
    Image by Ani2ad

@[Mazikeen]
    Mazikeen
    At the mention of new hobbies, she replies with an easy “Next time for sure.” She says it with a grin, looking down from the trees. Though she does itch with the desire to try claws and hands against the bark, she likes the idea of coming back for that specifically. Maybe she and Gale could make a day of it, racing each other up to the crowns and back down again, seeing who could find the tallest tree.

She laughs at his response to her question about the flower crown - knowing she would’ve done the same thing. Her laugh is not nearly as musical as his, it is wild and bold even when it lingers in her bright eyes. It is not a lie when she responds to his offer of checking out the new biodiversity with an “I’d love to.” She’s never had a head for plants, aside from the small number she knew were safe to eat she did not think about them - but she’s curious about the animals that live here. Maybe she could find a shape she’s never tried.

So Mazikeen falls into step with Yanhua, shifting her eyes to those of a feline so she can better see in the growing darkness outside of the faint glow he provided. Half to better see this land that’s entirely new to her, and half because she is unable to turn off the part of her that watches for threats.

She might have asked what was so new about the biodiversity here but she’s distracted easily by Yanhua’s question - it is one of her top favourite topics to think about. “Gale’s actually living in Hyaline now with me.” Mazikeen doesn’t bother to fight the brilliant smile that comes with this statement, though she is a little embarrassed by it, and even though the reasons behind the move were complicated. There’s a pleasant flutter in her stomach when she says those last two words: ‘with me’. She’s been enjoying having Gale close, more than she ever thought she would. It feels right, waking next to him. And it helps her forget for a little while longer that they may not have much time at all.

As for news - she’s unsure whether she can, or should, share all of it so she shares what a family member might be interested in. Her smile fades a little as her nerves settle in. “We’re actually… we’re expecting. Twins even, if the magician we saw can be believed.” She doesn’t doubt Isilya, the strange tree-mare had been kind to them when they needed it though her experience with magicians is limited to that single moment and she does not know how trustworthy their powers are as a whole. “Do you have any kids?” She’s pretty sure Gale told her they all did, his brothers and sister, but she didn’t learn the particulars. And she’d rather hear Yanhua talk about his family instead of trying to sort out her own feelings on the one she and Gale accidentally are starting.

@[Yanhua]

Taiga had lots to discover these days and Yan was happy to discover them with Maze in tow. Ever the obvious type, he doesn’t try to smother the giddy expression that accompanies her acceptance of joining him on the hunt for new flora or fauna. Yan moves off into the redwood forest with a purpose and a pal, and he only looks back or aside to gaze at the pale mare when they’re speaking to one another. Otherwise he’s intent on finding something a bit more rare - some creature he’d heard only showed itself when moonlight was present. Tonight seemed the perfect night for it.

“So he’s closer now? Good.” Yan stated rhetorically, ducking under the soft bristles of a silvergreens colored pine needles. From the sound of it, Mazikeen felt the same. He understood: it was important to have your loved ones nearby, especially in a world so chaotic and rife with unseen dangers as theirs. Nothing ever went to plan and even things that did often had unexpected results. It made the heart less frantic when a horse could know they weren’t alone, and Yanhua himself is a firm believer in the concept of “stronger together”.

“Oh Maze - that’s wonderful news!” The chestnut paused in his journey, resting along a worn-down ridgeline of trees and jutting stones. He knew the hesitancy in her voice, could feel the echo of her worries reflected back on him as memories of a time when he’d been nervous himself. It felt necessary to him that he should give her an iota more of attention in this moment, to impress upon her the joy that such an occurrence would bring into her life no matter what. “From the bottom of my heart I congratulate you both. I do have young ones, old ones too if you can believe it despite my age.” He chuckled, trodding off again now that the conversation had turned to his private life.

“Five now - the same as Nashua.” He rumbled mockingly. The twin he loved so dearly and yet, the same brother he felt most eager to keep up with. “Two from this past season and three elder ones.” He sighed, bittersweet. “I could swear just yesterday I was a foal myself. Now I can’t imagine this world without them in it. They’re … amazing.” He smiled to himself, breaking out from the treeline of evergreen woods to come across a small, trickling stream of water. Up above them, the black sky was like a tear in the canopy showing hazy stars and twisting planets. Their largest and most prominent moon cast her silver glow over the stream and tinted the black world with her light, so Yanhua dimmed his in response.

In the hush of the night, blue orbs flickered above the water. Lunaflies - a rare species of magical butterfly - hovered and dipped above the water's surface in search of mates. They danced through the pewter beams and gleamed with a bluish-purpilsh tint.

“How does Gale feel about fatherhood?” He whispered cautiously, interested to learn more about this half-sibling who everyone seemed to admire and love so much.

YANHUA
    Image by Ani2ad

@[Mazikeen]
    Mazikeen
    Yanhua is the first to congratulate her on her pregnancy and she has absolutely no idea how to respond to that kindness for a moment. It is easy to find a smile though, because she does at least recognize that it is kind of him, and she manages a quiet “Thank you.” She appreciates his enthusiasm even as she wonders if this was how she and Gale would have reacted if they had a kinder future waiting for them.

She is surprised to hear that Yanhua has older children as well as some young ones, and her eyes widen a little to hear that he and Nashua both have five. Mazikeen laughs softly at the idea, mouthing that number to herself as she mulls it over. Gale had told her he had about a dozen nieces and nephews but she had expected them to be a little more spread out among his numerous siblings. Not basically covered exclusively by the chestnut and gold stallions from the north.

Some of her nerves ease as they continue along the path and she listens to Yanhua talk, taking some encouragement from what he says. Will she speak similarly of her children one day? It is difficult for her to imagine now, but she reasons with herself that maybe she just needs to meet them first. They still feel theoretical, even though they make her feel like she’s carrying around twin elephants and not foals.

Her orange eyes brighten when they break through the treeline and she sees the illuminated insects dancing over the water. In the moonlight, it is a beautiful sight. She’s wondering if this is some of the new biodiversity that Yanhua had wanted to investigate, and would have asked, but he speaks first.

Mazikeen’s ears flick towards the whispered question and she’s quiet for a moment before replying at a similar volume - anything louder did not seem to fit in with the scene before them. “He’s nervous, just like me. We…” But she trails off, embarrassed to admit that the pregnancy had been entirely unplanned and had shocked them both. In hindsight, they had been incredibly naive and she does not want to tell Yanhua, who so obviously loves his children, that getting the news had been a little disappointing as well as introducing to them a whole new host of things to worry about.

Instead of all that, she just grins nervously and says by way of explanation about their nerves “It’s both of our first time being parents.” She isn’t sure whether Yanhua knows that already - maybe about Gale, but though she’s still relatively young she supposes she could have been a mother already, much like how Yanhua had already grown children. Another quiet laugh escapes her - her eyes tracking the movement of the dancing lights. “If our twins are as wild as I was as a foal, it’ll be either the easiest or most stressful thing we’ve ever done. I was not good at staying in one place.”

In the peaceful night, Mazikeen finds it easy to forget the very big reason why they are nervous. She forgets about it more often than she should, so sure and hopeful as she is that Gale has more time. That they'll have a chance to be clumsy first parents and experience that joy as if they were just a regular couple.

@[Yanhua]

Taiga, the North, and all her inhabitants would not be who they are today if not for the solid foundation laid after years of conflict. It took tragedy and heartbreak to mend a broken land, strength and trust in one another to bring the North into the light it was these days. Hardship after hardship came raining down on them, bitter conflicts for power and total destruction at the hands of their neighboring Kingdoms, but the warmth of this community is so much sweeter now. Maze and Yanhua observing the Lunaflies peacefully is a testament to that.

If it was anything Yanhua could promise to soothe Mazikeen’s hesitations, (whatever they might be) it would be this: that she will never be alone in a time of need. That despite the torrid past between Yan’s mother and Gale’s father, family is family - no matter what.

In the twilight hours of the night with the moon spinning high above them, Yanhua smiled encouragingly at Hyaline’s Alpha. Her worry over the future to come is understandable, even if Yanhua has little to no idea about the much deeper, much more concerning issues she and Gale will face. He thinks it only right to share with her some of his shortcomings as a father, because despite the picture painted for the outside world to see, nothing is ever perfect.

“It’s both for me. All day every day. You worry for them, try your best, and despite how much you love and want the world for them, you’ll disappoint them.” He cautions with a distant-sounding sigh, remembering how many times he’d done so in the past. “I lost my twins at the beginning of the Eclipse. They could’ve died, easily. Borderline - my first wife - she left me and took my eldest daughter with her when she found out about my relationship with Amarine. I missed out on so much of Mem’s early childhood because of that.” He revealed to her.

“But I never gave up, and neither should you.” He smiled again, shifting to bump her pale shoulder lightly before gazing back out at the Lunaflies and their mating dance. “Your children, Gale, your Kingdom … they’ll remember that more than they’ll remember your shortcomings, Maze.”

YANHUA
    Image by Ani2ad

@[Mazikeen]
    Mazikeen
    She’s eager for whatever advice she can get so she listens intently when Yanhua replies - though the mention that she’ll disappoint them isn’t exactly encouraging. He goes on to share a story - which does make her feel a little better, to know not everyone else on the planet had been born a perfect parent like she was starting to assume.

Privately as well, Mazikeen cannot fathom being in a relationship with more than one other - Gale already consumed most of her thoughts there was rarely room for anything else (proving, she thinks, just how poor of a leader she is for Hyaline). Love was new to her, she didn’t yet understand all the different forms it could take. Doesn’t even realize how many there are already in her heart in various ways.

And then Yanhua continues and his easy encouragement blindsides her.

It rattles Mazikeen to have lived nearly seven years and just now be finding out there’s this much kindness in the world. Gale is kind, yes, but she had thought him a fluke. She hadn’t expected it to echo throughout his entire family. She admired all the mares who had raised and lived with her, burning bright in their intensity and ferocity and inspiring her with their strength. And from them she had known some kindness, of course, had discovered support when she hadn't expected it but the encouragement she’s used to is often accompanied by phrases like ‘why are you being such a fucking idiot, Maze?’ And here Yanhua’s few words strike at her core. At almost every single insecurity, the ones that had driven her up the Mountain seeking a stronger form of shapeshifting, and the ones that have haunted her ever since.

She returns the bump easily, wondering if this is what it would've been like to grow up with siblings. Her eyes are bright and her voice uncharacteristically quiet as she repeats the phrase she had said moments ago, but with a little more sincerity this time. “Thank you, Yanhua. That means... that means a lot. And I'm glad you didn't give up. I hope that means things worked out?” She won't mind if he doesn't want to explain any further, her head is still buzzing a little bit anyway. She wonders if it’s stupid how much it means to her, if she shouldn’t be so affected by kindness. But it means a lot, even if it doesn’t change anything. Even if she wakes up tomorrow and chokes on her fear that everything she hopes for is impossible. She’s going to try to remember these words.

Mazikeen isn’t really too sure where to go with the conversation from there - and she's quiet for a moment before she shifts the topic back to something that doesn't make her feel like the ground is sliding out beneath her hooves. “Are these new?” She gestures with her red-marked nose to the dancing insects, hoping he won't mind the redirection.

@[Yanhua]

The secrets other horses keep are theirs to hoard. Yanhua has enough to burden his heart, losing his mother and having a rough time during the eclipse as it was. If Maze had truly confided in him, he’s not sure he could be as supportive a shoulder as she perceived him to be - he thinks he’s only helping her in the natural way a father should. Had he known what Gale was beginning to show signs of, she might’ve found a much angier, much less appreciative horse standing in his hooves.

Perhaps it’s good that she doesn’t. Perhaps it’s best that Yan keeps himself blocked off from the perception of one’s memories, out of the kindness of his heart.

“They worked out in the way that things are supposed to, not exactly the way I would’ve imagined or hoped.” He chuckled softly. “And you’re welcome. I’m truly glad you decided to visit. Taiga is open to you and yours whenever you’d like.” He murmured, slipping pleasantly into the quiet afterwards like one slips into a dreamless sleep.

The night and her moonlit glow are enough of a wonder that speech is unnecessary. Together they stand, white against chestnut, taking in the rare sight of what wonders Taiga had given birth to since the return of the sun. Once or twice Yanhua smiled, noting the odd patterns of flight or finding himself amused by a few Lunaflies bouncing off one another, as if to say: this is mine! Back off! They were curious creatures, strange additions to an already strange world.

“Mmhmm.” He confirmed Maze’s question, keeping his tone low and soft. The Lunaflies had given them quite an audience but now the croaking of invisible glass frogs could be heard; in response to their natural predators, the glowing blue insects began to rise higher into the sky as if to disperse themselves back into the redwoods. “I call them Lunaflies. They’re odd little things, only coming out to flitter in the light of a moon.” He hummed gently.

“Taiga has been showing an increase in mythical phenomena since the Eclipse ended.” He told her, taking a step back from the small stream’s edge. “Now we have giant mushrooms sprouting up, glass-skinned frogs, and most of the critters who were here before are now exhibiting signs of magical alteration. Squirrels, birds, smaller rodent species … they’re growing needles and showing fur that’s more like lichen or even bark.” Yan explained as he padded softly back the way they came.

“You’re more than welcome to explore and observe as you see fit. Hybrid species are appearing as well, some that I believe will need culling in order to maintain a healthy ecosystem.” The glowing goaticorn smirked kindly. He’d tried before to offer an excursion to the past Hyaline Alpha - a shifter, though he knew nothing of Maze’s ability - and had been more or less ignored. Perhaps, if Maze still had a few predators wandering in her mountain realm, she could send them north to deal with the Mammoose prey and the deadly, dangerous burrows of the spider wolves.

YANHUA
    Image by Ani2ad

@[Mazikeen]