• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I'm going to light it up
    Mazikeen
    Yanhua is the first to congratulate her on her pregnancy and she has absolutely no idea how to respond to that kindness for a moment. It is easy to find a smile though, because she does at least recognize that it is kind of him, and she manages a quiet “Thank you.” She appreciates his enthusiasm even as she wonders if this was how she and Gale would have reacted if they had a kinder future waiting for them.

She is surprised to hear that Yanhua has older children as well as some young ones, and her eyes widen a little to hear that he and Nashua both have five. Mazikeen laughs softly at the idea, mouthing that number to herself as she mulls it over. Gale had told her he had about a dozen nieces and nephews but she had expected them to be a little more spread out among his numerous siblings. Not basically covered exclusively by the chestnut and gold stallions from the north.

Some of her nerves ease as they continue along the path and she listens to Yanhua talk, taking some encouragement from what he says. Will she speak similarly of her children one day? It is difficult for her to imagine now, but she reasons with herself that maybe she just needs to meet them first. They still feel theoretical, even though they make her feel like she’s carrying around twin elephants and not foals.

Her orange eyes brighten when they break through the treeline and she sees the illuminated insects dancing over the water. In the moonlight, it is a beautiful sight. She’s wondering if this is some of the new biodiversity that Yanhua had wanted to investigate, and would have asked, but he speaks first.

Mazikeen’s ears flick towards the whispered question and she’s quiet for a moment before replying at a similar volume - anything louder did not seem to fit in with the scene before them. “He’s nervous, just like me. We…” But she trails off, embarrassed to admit that the pregnancy had been entirely unplanned and had shocked them both. In hindsight, they had been incredibly naive and she does not want to tell Yanhua, who so obviously loves his children, that getting the news had been a little disappointing as well as introducing to them a whole new host of things to worry about.

Instead of all that, she just grins nervously and says by way of explanation about their nerves “It’s both of our first time being parents.” She isn’t sure whether Yanhua knows that already - maybe about Gale, but though she’s still relatively young she supposes she could have been a mother already, much like how Yanhua had already grown children. Another quiet laugh escapes her - her eyes tracking the movement of the dancing lights. “If our twins are as wild as I was as a foal, it’ll be either the easiest or most stressful thing we’ve ever done. I was not good at staying in one place.”

In the peaceful night, Mazikeen finds it easy to forget the very big reason why they are nervous. She forgets about it more often than she should, so sure and hopeful as she is that Gale has more time. That they'll have a chance to be clumsy first parents and experience that joy as if they were just a regular couple.

@[Yanhua]

Messages In This Thread
    I'm going to light it up - by Mazikeen - 05-01-2021, 01:05 PM
    RE: I'm going to light it up - by Yanhua - 05-03-2021, 02:44 PM
    RE: I'm going to light it up - by Mazikeen - 05-04-2021, 09:35 AM
    RE: I'm going to light it up - by Yanhua - 05-05-2021, 01:52 PM
    RE: I'm going to light it up - by Mazikeen - 05-06-2021, 03:16 PM
    RE: I'm going to light it up - by Yanhua - 05-10-2021, 09:12 AM
    RE: I'm going to light it up - by Mazikeen - 05-12-2021, 02:39 PM
    RE: I'm going to light it up - by Yanhua - 05-16-2021, 12:31 PM
    RE: I'm going to light it up - by Mazikeen - 05-17-2021, 06:38 PM
    RE: I'm going to light it up - by Yanhua - 05-18-2021, 02:05 PM