• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  this is going to bring me clarity | Mazikeen
    Gale
    this is going to break me clean in two --
    this is going to bring me close to you

His blue eyes blink slowly as he takes in the morning around him, looking toward the sun, and then the south and at the bare branches and shallow snow on the ground. Gale had stopped counting the passage of time, but it looks to be already winter. So that’s weeks gone then, weeks at the very least. What has he been doing all that time? What has it been doing in his body?

Gale shudders, closing his eyes and taking a long breath. The sound of snow beneath hooves draws his attention up again, and he sees Mazikeen moving toward him in the snow.

He feels a dull weight in the pit of his stomach, feels the sharp burn of guilt travel up from his chest. He has not had time to think of anything at all, and only now recalls the bloodshed of their earlier encounter. The Curse - which has kept its promise to Mazikeen in all other ways - chooses this moment to share again with Gale the memory of where the injuries came from.

Gale winces, and looks away rather than meet her orange gaze.

“Well, I don’t have a headache for the first time in...well, a long time.” He looks at the ground, scuffing at the snow with one dark hoof. His thoughts are too numerous, and he spends some time sorting through them, his eyes downcast.

He should look up, Gale knows, should meet her gaze. But if he does, he fears he might break. So instead he forces his gaze slowly upward, to her long legs, beautifully patterned wings, the marble curve of her neck. He wants to memorize her, so that he might never forget how she looks no matter how hard the Curse might try.

Only when he is sure he can meet her gaze without crumbling does he do so.

The glow of her twisting horns illuminates her face, and Gale admires the familiar lines of her cheeks, and notices the dark hollows beneath her bright eyes. She is not sleeping much, those hollows tell him, and the guilt he feels spills out as words

“I’m sorry,” he tells her, “For whatever it’s done. I’m so sorry.”

@[Mazikeen]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: this is going to bring me clarity | Mazikeen - by Gale - 05-09-2021, 04:11 PM