• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  this is going to bring me clarity | Mazikeen
    Gale
    this is going to break me clean in two --
    this is going to bring me close to you

Had Gale known how his refusal to look at Mazikeen made her feel, his apologies might never have ended. His visceral reaction to the memory of the assault was to his own involvement, and his guilt at having been unable to do a single thing. The Curse had promised Mazikeen not to tell Gale about their deal and to leave them be during the day, but this had been far too delightful an opportunity to pass up.

(The Curse is not sure why Gale is not exhausted and in pain this morning. Last night had been no different than any other. The strange workings of magic, perhaps, or maybe the chicanery of a quarter moon. It has had a busy evening though, stalking deer and eating only the hearts, cornering a snarling sky blue bear and wrestling just to test its mettle, so it soon drifts away and leaves Gale to the first morning he has had in months)

That she had not left him is something that he was vaguely aware of even in his semi-lucid state. She was a pale shape at the corner of his eyes in some of those rare moments they were open, and the scent of her was often on the mountain wind. It comforted him, and the comfort made him feel guilty.

He is a danger to her.
    And yet there is nowhere he wants to be but right here beside her, except perhaps closer still.

He needs to leave.
    And yet when she moves closer he meets her halfways, so that her hesitant stop doesn’t even matter and he is sweeping her up in a tight embrace.

If she struggles, tries to get away, he will not blame her. He would not want to be close to himself if he were her either. But he is not her, he is only himself, and her nearness still makes everything better.

‘You have nothing to apologize for’ she says, and Gale laughs at the absurdity. At first he thinks she must be joking, but then she continues, saying that she is sorry, and Gale struggles to imagine what for.

For keeping her promise?

Gale pulls back, his navy face creasing into a frown. He meets her gaze, her fiery determined gaze, and hears the doubt she has in him - in them - when she makes her promise.

Some things it’s better he doesn’t remember. Something he has done has sown that doubt, he thinks. The Curse has shared a single memory - are there more? What else has it hunted in the darkness of night?

“You are the one thing I will never grow tired of Seeing,” he swears, pushing back a lock of her hair before drawing back to meet her gaze.

“But promise me you will not risk yourself for me. I cannot bear the thought of you getting hurt, not when it should be me, when I’m the one who is Cursed.” He chatters, as he often does, whatever filter between his thoughts and words falling away as it always does with her. “Keep yourself safe, and the children too. You’re more important than I am.”

@[Mazikeen]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: this is going to bring me clarity | Mazikeen - by Gale - 05-09-2021, 08:43 PM