• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  I'll keep on putting myself on the line
    Whoever she is she seems delighted to see him, and he cannot help but glow a little brighter at her easy bubbling warmth. “Well you are!” He says in a way that is both gentle and stubborn. But his eyes alight with his own delight at the way she has noticed how like the sun he is. “Just like my dad!” There is an almost shy kind of pride in the way he puffs his little chest at being so physically like his father. “I can also get really warm and walk through things.” He absolutely does not offer to show her the latter because sometimes he misjudges and just ends up walking face first into the trees.

He is momentarily surprised when she pushes so unabashedly close to him, but it passes almost instantly as he is once again distracted by her easy warmth. She is the first anyone he’s met outside of his own family, and the novelty of it blooms an unfamiliar kind of giddiness in his chest that he struggles to keep politely squashed down. “Is it like my glowing?” He asks, and those lapis lazuli eyes immediately move to study her skin a little more closely like maybe he’ll see something if he looks harder.

Which is why he misses her wild grin entirely and has no warning of mischief except for the tail end of her sentence that he dissects too slowly. She shifts, and for a moment he doesn’t understand at all where she’s gone until a beetle bumps into his nose and falls away like a dropped stone. But it lands as a cub, then changes again to a squirrel, and it is all he can do not to stare wide-eyed and mouth partially agape as the squirrel becomes the iridescent blue filly once more. “Woah.” He says, and his voice is harsh like a whisper but not at all quiet. “You almost went up my nose!”

But her laughter is absolutely irresistible and at once his dark face is a crooked grin and shining blue eyes brighter than even the most perfect fall sky. He knows the giddiness he had been trying to hold back is now spilling from him in the laughter that fills the space between them, but he feels surer now that she won’t mind. “That was really cool.” He tells her once the laughter has abated and he instead once more all crooked grins.

“Okay now it’s my turn, but you have to come here and touch my shoulder.” He shifts a little so she can reach more easily, lifting the wing on that side up higher in a way that makes light refract in strange patterns over her iridescent skin. “I promise it won’t hurt!” Mostly because he’s not so good at it yet and the most he can do is match the heat of the sand after it’s been sitting out beneath a noontime sun. “Ready?” He knows he should wait for an answer, but he’s too excited to show her one of his own tricks. So he closes his eyes and focuses really hard until a sensation not unlike friction starts thrumming beneath his skin. “Do you feel it?” His voice is a half-grunt as he peeks an eye open to look at her face as heat flares across his skin.

aeson

though your heart is far too young to realize
    the unimaginable light you hold inside

@[Sickle]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: I'll keep on putting myself on the line - by aeson - 06-22-2021, 12:07 AM