• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  It's a long way to the grave; any

Even before, he had an affinity with the spaces between shadow and light. He could touch them and they would respond. He could draw them to him and wear them like a cloak - or like armor. Now though, it is so much more. The darkness itches across his skin with a new intensity unlike any he had known before. The creatures of the night slumber in his presence, vulnerable and unaware.

That is perhaps the most alarming change of all. He should have been pleased to discover it, especially when it made the hunt so much simpler, but Ion has never been fond of such one-sided savagery. At heart, he is a creature built on a foundation of fairness, and that includes the hunt.

He is distracted when she replies thoughtfully, though the words send a shiver down his spine. The eclipse had brought those powers to the fore, and he has not yet decided if it had been a boon or a curse. Where once he had found his affinity in the in-between spaces, now he only draws upon the darkness.

He is not certain yet what that says about him.

Ion stills when she makes her offer however, surprised she would do so. But then, perhaps it is clever to wish to know what one is housing in their kingdom. At the sight of her smile, he manages a small one in return, though it is tight and stiff with lack of use. “That… may be helpful,” he replies, eyes steady as he peers at her. Would she stand behind her offer once she knew more? “I am still working on controlling it fully.”

ion

in the empty of the grave, only distant dreams remain

@Mazikeen

m a z i k e e n .

Mazikeen’s sharp eyes don’t miss the way he stills after her offer, and though she does not know the reason for the reaction it causes that easy smile of hers to brighten a little more. Maybe he was surprised, but if they got to know each other well enough she’s sure he would quickly come to learn how easily she offered help - how readily it still came even (and perhaps especially) if it had a chance at being dangerous. More practically, the chance to learn more about abilities that weren’t shifting really was something she should do.

It had just become one of the many things that slipped her mind as she focused on other things - but she'll be grateful for the chance if this newcomer gives it to her.

Having given out the only warning needed, Mazikeen doesn’t think she needs to play tour guide - and she doesn’t want to keep pestering Ion with questions, though he’s been good-natured about answering those she has asked so far. Everything else about Hyaline was pretty self-explanatory - the lake, the mountains, the trees. Night always seemed to come a little earlier here, when the sun sank below the peaks, so maybe he would find more opportunity to explore his new abilities.

So with that friendly grin, she tells him - “I’ll leave you to explore on your own, but absolutely seek me out when you’d like to practice. Or some company. I’m always prowling around here somewhere.”

@Ion we can probably end it here? But I'd absolutely be up for threading them again whenever you'd like!