• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

from the ashes a fire shall be woken | helion
    “If I had tried to drown you, you’d’a been drowned,” she tells him, the serious expression on her face ruined by the way the edges of her mouth keep turning up in a smile. She is only teasing him, because she has never tried to drown anyone and the closest she’d ever come was drenching Helion with water at their first meeting.

She leans closer to playfully push against him, and finds that the pearlescent scales of her shoulder grow crisp and firm in a way that is not exactly pleasant. It isn’t painful either, and the scales recede to reveal stormy grey horse hair that is far more resistant to sun. Moira has shifted to most everything on the spectrum between nereid and mare, but she’s never gone so far as to lose her scales in a shift.

Despite the lack of physical discomfort, there is something jarring about seeing her scales recede. She’s a nereid, not a landwalker. She hadn’t even known she had horsehair, and for a long moment she stares down at it in bewilderment.

“I, um. I think I need to go home now, Helion.” Her voice is uncertain, and that softens the shrillness of it much as her singing had. She turns away, toward the water that beckons with glistening fingers. Before she moves toward it, Moira looks once more over her grey shoulder and smiles up at the golden horse.

“I will see you in Loess,” she promises, and leaps into the river, As front hooves touch the water, her hind legs are replaced by a finned tail, as dark as the rest of Moira’s body but edges in a wide and glistening fan of amethyst and golden fin. She is showing off, but she’ll have to wait until she sees him again to see if he’d appreciated it.

But first, she needs to find out exactly how far this horsehair problem might spread. 

@Helion