• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  to the lonely sea and sky; cheri

a bright and dangerous spark

A healer, a prophet, a genie, a warrior, and a troubled heart. The Loessian court is a fair spectacle, and her inhabitants are as varied and wayward as the land was itself. From rolling prairie to maze-like canyons, from sea to sky, she was a beautiful and bountiful land. Ripe with history and home to a promising future.

And Oceane … her words leave so much unsaid.

“Ruler for nearly a decade.” Cheri thought, admiring her Queen. Ten years of being filled with both the hindsight and foresight to lead a Kingdom through the darkest times of their lives, through dragon’s breath and chaos. Ten years of history Cheri had dutifully learned, then ten more behind it and ten more behind that. And now the years have fallen away like grains of sediment pulled off smooth river stones, leaving them polished and perfect. Cheri wonders how many years it would take her to become one-half of the stone Oceane has become.

For a long time now Cheri has questioned her self-worth. She would never have imagined that at some point, her life would lead her to a place that would become more than a home, more than a lifestyle. That Loess would become her legacy. And of the things Oceane tells her: that she is kind and smart, bold yet loving - if Cheri had heard them from anyone else she might not have believed it.

She sniffled, taken aback by the emotions and feelings this moment had brought on. It was impossible for Cheri not to think of her past faults, which Oceane promises will come again. Such was the way of life. But she felt empowered to know that even then, in those moments, her Queen honestly believed in Cheri’s capability to see them through.

“I’m speechless … truly.” Cheri struggled to find the right words. They came slowly and built upon themselves, lending her strength though she didn’t particularly feel especially strong. “But hearing what you’ve said and understanding that you think all these things about me, it gives me reason to believe you might be right. I’m not one to shy away from a challenge, though I might not look it.” Oceane’s understudy laughed carefully, blinking away her astonishment.

“However …” Cheri quieted down again, what little happiness she’d had before fading into something much more serious. “I think there’s a few things you ought to know. About myself and Obscene.” The younger pegasus sighed. She’d wanted to avoid this conversation for as long as possible, but Oceane’s comment about fostering positive relations ruffled her. “I had feelings for him once. I’m not entirely sure they’re gone, but the longer I spend away from him the less I feel inclined to believe they were ever there to begin with. I know he’s our neighbor, Oceane, but I just … I can’t stand him. It’s more personal than anything, I know, but I honestly don’t think I could trust him. And I’m afraid that if I become Queen I won’t be able to overlook those feelings of resentment in order to make the best choices for this Kingdom.” Cheri sighed. For a moment her own eyes flickered out across the wide expanse of natural wonder, and she struggled with her thoughts on the matter.

“What can I do?” The student asked of her teacher.
    Full-sized image link

@Oceane

Messages In This Thread
    to the lonely sea and sky; cheri - by Oceane - 06-22-2021, 08:09 PM
    RE: to the lonely sea and sky; cheri - by Cheri - 06-22-2021, 09:36 PM
    RE: to the lonely sea and sky; cheri - by Oceane - 06-24-2021, 06:45 PM
    RE: to the lonely sea and sky; cheri - by Cheri - 06-28-2021, 11:38 AM
    RE: to the lonely sea and sky; cheri - by Oceane - 07-27-2021, 09:49 AM