• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
    you're a bolt of lightning in the sky now; Obscene

i am the mace, the map, the fall and the high

Reave has never been overly concerned with being liked, nor has he ever been one to inspire milder emotions in others. He had always found the possibilities to be so much greater when one’s feelings are heightened, wild and tempestuous in the same way his own so often are. Like the storms even now dancing through Obscene’s memories.

Whatever he might try to hide from him, Obscene would find it difficult to keep the truth of his feelings from the armored Northerner. Not when they practically lash themselves at him, a tidal wave of feeling carried by the memories they inspire. And as Reave watches it, the grin on his lips widens, the gleam of his blue eye deepening to something almost dangerously gleeful.

The biting question breaks between them as Obscene tries to school his voice into something uncaring. Reave almost laughs again but manages to repress it into an amused huff. He could feign surprise of his own, but he doesn’t bother. Instead he lightly responds with a question of his own. “Oh, you didn’t know we are related?” He tilts his head, his expression clear enough that Obscene would know the question is rhetorical if he cared to look. “Pity.”

When Obscene finally settles himself enough to allow his own caustic amusement to surface, Reave offers him a small, almost conspiratorial grin. And then he does laugh again - a true laugh this time. The glittering stallion’s second question may not have been intended as humor, but Reave finds it humorous regardless. “I’m quite certain she has,” he replies breezily, sharp gaze lifting to find the Fae’s. “And will do so again.” With a small, controlled toss of his head, Reave’s expression turns wry, his voice nearly dripping with insolence. “I know the warning will do no good, but I would have been remiss if I didn’t offer it.” The blue of his eyes brightens, grin twitching cheekily as he adds, “As a friend, of course.”

reave

@Obscene
    I can see through you, see your true colors
    Cause inside you're ugly, you're ugly like me
    It was one thing to keep his mind and feelings hidden beneath his snappish words to those that didn’t know any better. It was nearly impossible when it came to the likes of Aela and Reave. Partly it was his fault for revealing so much, for not smoothing himself quicker. However he doubts it would have mattered given the delight in the bony stallion’s eyes and the amused huff he gives in response to his “uncaring” question. Obviously he hadn’t known they were related and he doesn’t bother now to wipe the irritation from his face. It was pointless when Reave had already seen so much.

“She does have quite the extensive family doesn’t she?” He finally states flatly, recalling that first night he had met her and how she had immediately threatened him with her family. It seemed she had made good on her word after all and it only makes his hatred (and somewhere deeper, a thrill of pride that she defied him after all) intensify. And then another thought comes to mind, that if Aela and Reave were siblings… Aela and Cheri must be related as well. She had never told him… But surely she must know. A dark resentment begins to settle itself somewhere in the deep pit of himself where the snake lingers and begins to writhe in acknowledgment, its tongue darting in and out as it tastes this feeling. Remembering it.

Burying his bitterness and confusing emotions regarding the onyx and green mare, he settles himself into his scathing amusement and retreats further into the biting armor of his callousness as the other begins to laugh. “I’m quite certain she has and will do so again.” Well, Reave certainly wasn’t wrong about that and it makes the black stallion smirk and snort with self satisfaction in remembrance “I would expect nothing less from her.” He says smoothly, his stony exterior and smugness firmly back in place. It makes it much easier to match Reave’s insolent manner as he responds in kind. “Oh of course. And I do look forward to it.” And he means it, truth in every word.

It would be remiss to let Reave leave now empty handed and he expects Aela would not be pleased if he didn’t at least do something with this opportunity before him. “It is good to hear you consider us friends. Aela was under the impression that Nerine was a considerable ally. Of course I was “suspicious” but hearing it from your own mouth has done much to alleviate my doubts.” Of course he has twisted Reave's remark to his own liking but since he wouldn’t mind an alliance with Nerine and Aela had spoken highly of her brother and his abilities before, the words come out truthfully enough.

obscene

@Reave
    [Image: Obscene-Pixel.png]

The Fae stallion learns quickly, Reave would give him credit for that. Of course, Aela has always been free with her gifts - he would have had to be extremely foolish not to learn something from his experience with her. The bone-marked Guardian may not have the same level of ability with emotions as his dear, influential sister, but he certainly has enough. Enough that Obscene would have had to have been not just foolish, but lacking intelligence not to realize the pointlessness of attempting to hide them.

He is none of those, and as his counterpart drops the mask of indifference he had attempted to don, Reave smiles.

The Northerner would have never paused to add the last declaration if he had not seen it already of course. Reave has many friends (though perhaps friend is a strong word), but he never offers it unless he finds them intriguing enough to warrant his continued interest. He is a rather fickle creature in that regard, loyal instead to the reckless curiosity of his own heart rather than those who inspire it. A dubious honor, at best, but for now it would undoubtedly serve the purpose they both desire.

But Reave is not Nerine, and at the other stallion’s assertion, his grin widens into something far more savage. He’s quite certain Aela had not meant Nerine when she was suggesting allies. Even if the word had left her mouth, he’s quite certain it had not been the territory he guards that she had been imagining. Not with her hatred for the North still boiling in her veins. “Are you quite certain it was Nerine she was speaking of?” he asks, his words penetrating. He tilts his head, blue eyes bright behind the glow of his mask. Blue eyes eerily similar to the sister they now speak of. “I would be quite surprised to learn she thinks of Nerine and myself as one and the same.”

reave

@Obscene
    It is easy to meet Reave’s savage smile with the charming one of his own, pure and true that plays along his lips. Something flickers in the depths of red, the serpent sensing blood of a different nature as Obscene grasps what he wants and attempts to take it. “Aela has much free reign and I consider all of her advice. ” He admits to her brother, watching him carefully as he senses for signs behind the bones. “But I do not share her hatred of the North. And she does not rule here.”

He pauses for a moment, letting his gaze fall amongst the sea of wildflowers around them. Petals fluttering in the breeze, a peaceful and idyllic place. Aela was counting on the beauty of the flowered hills and the rather easygoing nature of his rule and tendencies for debauchery to keep “unwilling guests” as residents here. Aela was many things, things he both loved and despised. It’s what makes their sex life so interesting, what keeps him hooked and coming back for more. However, this was not the first time that someone had implied that it was Aela calling the shots when it came to the Pampas. And he was getting rather sick of correcting them, was growing sick of being seen as a puppet instead of one of the masterminds. 

“I have no intention of holding back your sister.” He finally says, although he doesn’t look at Reave, his thoughtful gaze still on the beauty before him. “Her ambition is admirable but dangerous. For her and all those she includes in her schemes.” And here he looks back to the bone stallion, a slight frown darkening his features. As he thinks of what he had not been able to protect her from and what that might mean for the future. And of what might be coming regarding the seeds of distrust she had sown in the South. What that might mean for Cheri as well, a thought he's not entirely comfortable with.  “It is my wish for... “friendship” between us and Nerine. Not the whole of the North. Just Nerine.” He pauses to see what Reave will think of this. He was called “Guardian” after all and regardless of what Aela had implied, he was what he was. Just as Obscene was what he was when it came to the Pampas. Just as he could not shred the responsibility to those that called it home the moment he had dusted off the crown and fit it snugly on his head.

There is a moment then, a spark of an idea, one that he thinks even Aela would be proud of. “Besides, Nerine does not have to always be a part of the North, does it?” He murmurs quietly, his gaze firmly trained on Reave. Just as the Pampas did not have to stay a territory of the South if they put a mind to it. 

obscene

@Reave

If Reave had considered Obscene little more than a puppet, they would not be having this conversation. No, he would be having this conversation with Aela instead. But he had come here, curious to see for himself the ways in which this Fae stallion would play into his sister’s machinations. Not because he thought him mindless, but because he thought there was something more lurking there. Something Aela conveniently seems to forget.

Still, Aela may not rule here, but even the Pampas Prince could not deny she has a great deal of influence. As Reave eyes his southern counterpart, Obscene’s declarations falling into the still air between them, he keeps the grin that wants to creep onto his features tempered. For now.

He doesn’t try to interrupt or insert his opinion, instead listening with a faintly curious tip of his head. The mention of Aela’s schemes nearly makes him laugh aloud, though he quells it readily enough. That simple sentence had just made it abundantly clear Obscene had no notion of how much Reave played into his lovely sibling’s schemes. Of how much of her schemes were in fact his. Perhaps Obscene finds it loathsome to be thought of as a puppet. Reave on the other hand finds it amusing. His antics are not taken to bring himself glory though. No, he is fueled instead purely by a desire for chaos. And if his sister should find glory in it rather than him? Well, he would find amusement in that as well.

After all, such visibility makes one an excellent target. And Reave does not care to be a target.

Reave is silent (strangely silent) as Obscene outlines his own desires, making clear his thoughts on separating of Nerine from the North. As though the northernmost peninsula of the continent could possibly be separated from its geographical location. Still, he understands perfectly well Obscene’s meaning. His suggestion. And in the wake of it, Reave remains curiously still, his features unreadable for the first time since he had entered this territory.

When he finally does speak, his voice is level, modulated. Dangerous. “Are you suggesting I might betray my own brothers?” Whether Obscene had realized it, he had just stepped onto a very narrow and treacherous path. Perhaps Obscene had forgotten that Reave’s own kin held the other seats of power in the North. Or perhaps he had banked on Reave’s fickle loyalty to sway him. Now however, regardless of Obscene’s original intentions, whatever he had to offer better be extremely tempting if he wished Reave’s (and Nerine’s) continued friendship.

reave

@Obscene
    If Obscene is bothered by the disquiet that quickly festers in the other’s demeanor, it doesn’t show. The rather bored expression lingers on his face as Reave chews over what’s been said, as his too level voice suggests that perhaps a nerve had been crossed. “Is that what I was implying?” The dark Fae asks innocently, a curious flicker in the vermillion eyes that watch the bone-touched stallion carefully. No, he had no intention on stirring the pot that much. Not now. It was merely a suggestion, something to think about if the nights grew too cold. But how curious to see a reaction he hadn’t expected in the likes of Reave.

“I only know how quickly power changes hands in these lands. How quickly things go sour. It’s merely a suggestion, should things change for better or worse.” He finishes with a nonchalant shrug, as if unbothered by such a thing happening or not. There could come a day when his beloved brothers fell from power and grace, when the North was no longer as peaceful as it was now. Nothing lasted forever and nobody was ever spared in the corruptive path of chaos. It wasn’t meant as a threat but if Reave took it that way then he would merely laugh, finding amusement in such miscommunication.

“Just something to think about.” He says with a small smile, meaning both their friendship in the present between two territories and what it could mean or influence in the future. Surely that interested one who delved so deeply in what could be? How interesting this meeting has been… for both of him, he thinks. He turns his head towards the sea of wildflowers around him, giving every indication of this conversation being at an end. “Until next time Reave.”

obscene

@Reave

Despite the thick veneer of innocence lain over the other stallion’s reply, Reave recognizes it for what it is. And for a moment, Reave is disappointed. For a moment, Reave had imagined the Fae might have ambitions far exceeding what he had initially suspected. But as he walks back his sly suggestion beneath claims of new powers on the rise, Reave knows that whatever ambitions Obscene might have, he is not yet prepared to follow through on them.

And Reave, in his chaos-loving heart, finds a taste of bitter disillusionment.

The red and white stallion knows just how quickly the winds of fate can change in this place. With the touch of madness lingering in one brother and heartsickness lingering in the other, he knows too that others would soon see weakness in the North. But if need be, Reave would gather them all under the helm of Nerine once more.

Perhaps Obscene could prove useful, if only he extended his bravado a bit further. If only he had dared cross that treacherous path rather than back down from it. With a decidedly wicked grin returning to his lips, Reave eyes Obscene as he insists it is something to think about. After a moment, he replies simply with, “I certainly will.”

With that, he takes his leave.

reave

@Obscene