• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  leave me where the light pours down
    it's a mystery to me
    we have a greed with which we have agreed. you think you have to want more than you need; until you have it all you won't be free. and when you think more than you want, your thoughts begin to bleed.
    Wishbone aches to know what happened to Sickle, but she thinks she might know the answer and it’s more important that she comfort the girl first. Clearly the experience was traumatizing, Wishbone can see that just by the way Sickle curls into her side and soaks her shoulder with tears. She remains patient and quiet, running her nose back and forth across Sickle’s head and whispering soothing words until her daughter has spent her tears.

As Sickle begins speaking, Wishbone feels heat flash across her skin. For a moment, there are too many emotions for her to name. Anger is the first one she can put down, mainly because it is the one that glows the brightest. She is so incredibly angry — at the Curse for threatening and harming children, at Mazikeen and Gale for bringing children into a dangerous relationship, at the world for the seemingly unrelenting darkness — but she is most angry with herself. It is her job to protect Malik and Sickle, and she had promised Mazikeen just that when they’d arrived in Tephra.

Whether the blood stained on Sickle’s blue skin is the girl’s or not, Wishbone can clearly see that she’s failed. She hasn’t protected the twins like she swore to do, and now they are getting caught in the crossfire of their parents’ love. There is one thing Wishbone’s proud of: she has loved Sickle and Malik as her own children. The sorrow that washes over her anger is evidence of that undying love.

Wishbone curls her neck around to hold Sickle close, her glowing eyes closing as her heart tightens in her chest. The twins are innocent in all this chaos, and the blue girl doesn’t deserve to experience the confusion and fear she must feel now. Wishbone contemplates telling Sickle the whole truth, but she quickly decides against it. For the girl to learn that her father is not all she expected and that Wishbone isn’t her blood mother would certainly be the final crack into whatever’s holding Sickle together.

So she answers her daughter’s question with as much honesty as she can muster. “No, he wasn’t. He used to be kind and friendly. But there is a curse that has been in his family for a long time, and your dad has that curse now. It turned him into someone mean and dangerous.” Wishbone opens her eyes again and moves her head to look down at Sickle. “You and Malik came to Tephra with me so I could protect you from him. I’m so sorry I failed you.” Wishbone’s never been one to cry, but she finds tears are softly trickling down her cheeks now. “I’m going to try even harder to keep you and your brother safe.” Her rough, honey-whiskey voice cracks at this promise, and Wishbone is quiet for a moment before saying, “Are you hurt, sweet girl?”
    credit to eliza of adoxography.

@Sickle

Messages In This Thread
    leave me where the light pours down - by Sickle - 06-27-2021, 07:43 PM
    RE: leave me where the light pours down - by Wishbone - 06-30-2021, 07:31 PM