• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  Pangean Panini; Any

He is born in Pangea, in a narrow canyon with a floor made of sand and smooth shells and the bones of little fish. It sticks to him, this sand and detritus. That is one of the first things he actually knows, that he is sticky, mucky and wet. His mother stares at him with her very bright pink and blue eyes. She is not surprised by his appearance but doesn’t seem to know what to do with him now that he has arrived. Instinctual behavior does not come to her “instinctually”, as it were, and it takes her a long time to decide that she will clean his face and most of the rest of him.

“You don’t look like me” observes the mother, Morgayne, her dark face tilted as she continues to stare at him. At his dark coat with its indistinct pink markings, and the liquid black eyes that stare unblinking right back. She stands, and he does too, unfolding himself and rising up. His mother blinks, takes several steps away. On her face there is an expression he will soon recognize as her own brand of morbid curiosity.
    He walks collectedly across the mealy sand and bites down on her pretty pink flank.

He grows in Pangea, and his mother calls him Bonebone because it amuses her. He has a strange slinky leanness made more apparent by the way his pink markings stand out from his mud-black hide and highlight the distinct edges of bone beneath his tight skin.

The hard earth is furrowed from the passage of water, carved and smoothed and now baked into a strange solid topography. A canyon for small crawlers. Bonebone steps over the gullies and balances on the sandstone ridges of this miniature Pangea. Cocking his head in a smooth, odd way, he observes one of its miniature occupants. A very large stag beetle marches along, it’s segmented legs moving in a slow, deliberate, indifferent way.

He has misplaced his mother, or she has misplaced him. They are much the same in their carelessness, forgetting to look for one another for long periods of time as they go about their separate entertainments. He has not met his father yet, but knows his name is Draco and that he’ll probably see him at some point. Morgayne had told him this absently when he had asked how he came to be, she had been finishing the work of healing a break in his foreleg and is never talkative when at her work.

The beetle tips off the edge of the mesa it has been walking across, landing on its back and pinwheeling its legs around as it tries to buck itself back onto its feet. Bonebone blinks, cocks his head in the other direction. “Oh dear.” Says the boy in his smooth, refined voice.

i don't mind if you fuck up my life
    Bonebone
    Darkling

The seasons pass, but the dust and cloying heat of the wasteland he calls home always remain the same. Darkling pays little mind to it, too absent to do more than note the passage of time. He has such little interest in things outside his own carefully crafted world. Most would call it selfish. Darkling would only laugh and call them naive.

What does he need with other worlds when his own is infinitely more fascinating?

Pangea has always been his true home and he suspects it always will be. Though there is little to love in the barren landscape burdened only by the stone of its canyons and scrubby vegetation that struggles to survive here, he enjoys it all the same. The nothingness of this place is the perfect canvas on which to paint his dreams, and so that is what he does.

He does not notice the boy at first, even as strange as he is. When he does however, there is something curiously unpleasant in the gleam of the palomino stallion’s dark eye. He is curious what the child watches so intently. As he approaches slowly, a rat scurries from beneath his feet towards the cracked earth. Except this is no normal rat. It is a thing made entirely of darkness, it’s beady eyes glowing eerie yellow in it’s impossibly depthless form. The rodent scuttles in silence, no sound heralding its presence as it dips into the crevice and finds the overturned beetle.

Without a single glance spared to the colt, the rat takes the beetle between its black jaws, and with a sickening crunch, the insect is dead.

As Darkling settles across the crevice from the boy, a faint, barely there smile crosses his lips. The rat scurries from the earth, darting between the unicorn’s golden limbs before vanishing in a curl of black shadow. “Excuse my pet,” Darkling drawls as he eyes the young boy. “He seems to be lacking manners. I do hope you weren’t attached.”

you're burning up the sky, you're a constellation
    I think that I could die for this revelation

@Bonebone