• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  how can we wake without question
    selaphiel
    these days i don’t pray when i close my eyes
    Could he make her laugh again?

She says she’s not all right and his heart spasms. (The heart is a strong one and he feels the pain of this acutely. It sinks into the marrow of his bones and he wonders what he might do to help her. But he is just a wayward angel carved from ice, there is nothing he can offer her, not really. And even if he could, would he be brave enough to try? He had asked her once if she was frightened, what death she had seen, and she had fled instead of giving him an answer and his loneliness is so tremendous now that he does not want to risk scaring her off again.)

She does laugh again, though it has nothing at all to do with him, and he can feel the pulse of her embarrassment. (Why can he feel these things? He has never been able to feel them before. It does not occur to him that she is giving rather than him taking.) 

He smiles and nods. “I think it counts for a lot,” he says. It is an indication of strength, he thinks, but he does not say this out loud because he is not wise and he doesn’t want to sound like he’s trying to be. He just agrees with her and feels a little twinge of something he doesn’t have a name for when she invites him to walk alongside her.

He studies the ice that collects along the ladder of her spine and swallows thickly. He shouldn’t. (It is a specific kind of grief that steals through him, though he does not know how to recognize it as such just yet.)

Okay,” he says finally and moves to follow wherever she sees fit to lead him. He is silent for a long moment as they fall into step together.

I should apologize,” he says, quiet, “for the things I said the first time we met. I’m sorry, I didn’t know any better.” 

I just bite my tongue a bit harder

@keyna

Messages In This Thread
    how can we wake without question - by keyna - 09-10-2021, 12:06 AM
    RE: how can we wake without question - by keyna - 09-10-2021, 04:50 PM
    RE: how can we wake without question - by keyna - 09-11-2021, 04:03 PM
    RE: how can we wake without question - by keyna - 09-19-2021, 04:51 PM
    RE: how can we wake without question - by Selaphiel - 09-19-2021, 05:37 PM
    RE: how can we wake without question - by keyna - 10-01-2021, 01:15 PM
    RE: how can we wake without question - by keyna - 10-03-2021, 07:18 PM
    RE: how can we wake without question - by keyna - 10-17-2021, 03:58 PM
    RE: how can we wake without question - by keyna - 11-14-2021, 12:32 AM