• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  is a kiss an act of war; any
    He tries the subtle route first, a muffled noise under his breath; his companion ignores it, refusing to arrest his forward motion into the unfamiliar landscape. The darker boy is forced to resort to something else. "Danyel," he hisses it across the space between them, and the ire that simmers under the words is enough to make his brother falter, pausing to flash a hurt look back over his shoulder. The slightly taller boy trots a few steps to catch up, watching warily behind them. 

"Jac..." There's a long standing air of annoyance under the brighter boy's words, but his eyes are entreating. "We won't find anywhere if we don't mingle."

"You agreed to be cautious," comes the familiar retort, "We don't know anything about these people."

If Jac were being more accurate, he should probably say 'we don't know anything', but his twin doesn't call him on it. They are the youngest children of their patriarch by more than a few years; they'd been raised by their father and step-father in a mostly hidden place, but it has been more than a year since they saw hide or hair of either parental unit, and that's being generous. Home was safe, it was easy, it had everything they needed to survive; but it was not exciting. Jac, ever the more careful, had run out of ways to keep his curious younger half distracted or entertained, and so here they were. And while their fathers had taught them plenty of things, and told them plenty of stories, they know nothing of this world as it is now.

They also have had little chance to socialize, beyond their little family unit and some siblings who wandered through occasionally. Danyel is euphoric. Jac is reticent. 

"Everything is just so there," the lighter of the two exclaims, dropping his muzzle to rake it through the new spring grass before dropping unceremoniously to his knees and then to his side, rolling enthusiastically. "This isn't what I thought grass would feel like. Aren't you going to try it?" Jac gives him a Look that can't be misinterpreted, and the answer is very obviously No. 

The thing about Home was it wasn't exactly a corporeal Place; it was a magical place of their sire's creation, and they had been the only Real things in it, with the exception of those few and far between visits from other family members. So their experiences were crafted from what Brennen remembered of the world, and thus some things were more clearly experienced by the twins than others. The things that meant more to Brennen were more Real to his sons. Another truth Jac doesn't want to acknowledge is that he hadn't had to work very hard to keep his brother contained for a long time - it was only very recently that the way to leave had become known to them, and here they are already, in the unknown.

If I was dying on my knees
    You would be the one to rescue me
    And if you were drowned at sea
    I'd give you my lungs so you could breathe
    * Jac & Danyel *