• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  i just want to hold you close to me
    mazikeen
    Sometimes Mazikeen is lucky enough to forget the fears about how she is better at fighting and slaughter than anything else, as if she were made for only those two things. She let herself believe for the last little while that she could be something more, someone happy even when they weren’t entirely whole. Someone who did not need to fight and analyze and burn - someone who could live in peace.

These fears rise up but they are greeted with a memory of a voice that is deeper and kinder than her own, one that tells her the last year and a half has been more than just a tease of a dream. It's been real.

Gale’s lightning happens too fast for her to actively think about a reaction so she simply acts instead. Those instincts of hers come in handy, but they are driven by her love so perhaps not all is lost. The sooner she gets rid of this monster, the sooner she can find help for her children.

Mazikeen becomes stone, dropping to the earth in a statue-like facsimile of the phoenix just as the bolt connects with what had been feathers and skin. Like the mountains around her home, lightning does not bother Mazikeen in this form and it dissipates harmlessly against the resistive surface.

Encased in stone (or entirely part of it? She isn’t sure) she forgets for a short moment how to change again. She is aware of the weight around her consciousness, the unnaturalness of it all. This is not a shift she has done more than twice before - a new one she’d tried inspired by Myrna and her flowers.

Things she had not thought she was capable of, things she hadn’t known were possible at all before her daughter had shown her.

It’s this stray little thought that brings her back, accompanying a half-memory or maybe just a wish that she had seen Myrna begin to move.

When she returns, stone falls away to feathers bristling with electricity of their own - a large thunderbird that is a pale white mirror of the other that had come to roost here in Hyaline. Mazikeen cries out again, loud and fierce, as she dives close as though for another strike with her long talons. They stretch out, seeking to hook themselves in flesh and tear it apart with all her strength. She does not know how to kill him and make him stay dead but that isn’t about to stop her from trying to rip out his heart like he has done for so many others.

@Gale

Messages In This Thread
    i just want to hold you close to me - by Gale - 12-09-2021, 07:40 AM
    RE: i just want to hold you close to me - by Gale - 12-19-2021, 08:56 AM
    RE: i just want to hold you close to me - by Mazikeen - 12-23-2021, 09:07 AM
    RE: i just want to hold you close to me - by Gale - 01-09-2022, 10:04 AM