• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Trait question
    Hello!

So, Niklas was the result of my "create-a-foal" prize back in 2012. As far as I know, he was the first Demon (I may be mistaken but I am pretty positive that I searched for one before I created him in 2012). I was not around when BQ was switched to this forum, so I was not a part of what a Demon is in the trait database, and - nothing AT ALL against those who did create the Demon trait while I was absent - it is not what I had in mind when I created Niklas.

My question is, can I create a new trait and make him a Daemon instead, with the following description:
    The daemon is a supernatural creature, originating from the underworld. They take on equine form when they're "topside", and are typically plainly marked. If they are somehow deprived of their physical body, they manifest as a column-like cloud of black smoke until they can find another vessel. Each daemon can fly/teleport in this smoke form, is immortal, and has a hellhound as a companion. Slightly faster and stronger than the average horse, trait immunity is inherent. Daemons can also wield the following traits: arcane darkness manipulation, possession, necromancy, creature summoning, fire-breathing, self-healing, telekinesis, plant manipulation, disease manipulation, and insect manipulation. The character may have 1 of these additional traits.

This is how I've played Niklas and would really like to keep his original character and how I've been playing him here.

Thank you!
    SET || NIKLAS || MEYER || DRETCH || DEMPTON
    @Dem

Hey! So unfortunately there are some pieces of the definition you've provided that would not work, specifically the vessel situation although we would be fine with having a horse form and smoke form, as well as being able to possess others. If you want him to have a different look after dying, regeneration is a possibility for an included trait - but the body would still be genetically his.

Would either of the already existing traits Archdemon or Demon Morphing work for your idea with Niklas? When we updated the demon-themed definitions we've allowed anyone with 'demon' to upgrade to the 5-space Archdemon which would give you more options on what can be included in the trait. Or, Demon Morphing could also cover what you're looking for where the smoke-form is the demon that Niklas can change into.
    No problem. So what if it were an equine form and a smoke form, with the ability to regenerate in the same body as an included trait? That is basically what I meant, I’m just a poor trait description writer.

Archdemon or Demon Morphing wouldn’t really work because he doesn’t look like a Demon/Archdemon, and he doesn’t change into a Demon, but is one and frequents the underworld;  nor have I written him as having very many of the characteristics/traits that both descriptions have. I’m not fishing for an upgrade for him or anything like that, if that’s how I’m coming across Confused I want to keep playing him as I have been, I just wanted to  make it clear that he’s not what BQ now defines as a Demon/Archdemon. I’m totally fine with a different trait name, if need be, I was just trying to pick something close to what I created in the first place.

To explain a little where I’m coming from - His basic premise is that Set and Ana produced something darker than either of them, something supernaturally different than his parents who weren’t born with their magic, and that he is “evil” without any pomp and circumstance (he’s plain, except for his eyes). He was born immortal, with a hellhound companion, and neither of his parents could control him with their magic if he didn’t let them. He’s taken on arcane darkness manipulation as a resident of the current forum, but did wield a rudimentary form of it as a child.

I swear I’m not trying to be a pain! It’s honestly just a real muse-killer to play him the way I do and feeling like I have to explain he was a Demon before they were a thing in BQ. Does that make sense? Anyway, thank you for taking your time to help me figure this out!
    We don’t enforce the appearance aspects of the demon/archdemon traits so if you want to ignore those, that’s totally fine! We’ll be updating their definitions to make it clear that there’s some leeway in how the character looks. And you’re not obligated to use all the traits listed under them either - the included traits can be tweaked to suit the character so long as they make sense under the general umbrella.

You’re always welcome to use whatever backstory you want for your character, both for how he came into existence and being the first/one of the first demons on site. A lot of our traits have undergone tweaks in the last 10 years so while I understand that it might be a little frustrating to have to adjust, the trait system we had when you first brought in Niklas is just very different from what we use now.

From the sounds of it, if you for sure want arcane darkness manipulation to be included then Archdemon would be the trait to use for him - since arcane darkness manipulation is a 5 space trait and won’t work as an included trait for a 4 space (which demon is). During the most recent update of the demon related traits we allowed everyone who wanted it the chance to upgrade from demon to archdemon. This would also allow you to use all the other features you’ve mentioned (smoke shifting, possession, regeneration, teleportation/flight) in addition to arcane darkness manipulation. Companions are listed separate from traits now but we can add in his hellhound companion to the database easily enough so he won't be losing that.
    Okay that sounds really great!

Should I just post in updates then, to upgrade him to Archdemon, and to have his hellhound companion added?
    Yes, please post in updates and we’ll take care of it next chance we get