• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  and if we die, burn down the forest
    i'll burn your name into my throat, i'll be the fire that'll catch you.
    There is some unseen thread between them, he thinks. His father always scowls when he asks about the man with glowing eyes and dripping wings. But his mother is kind and she distracts him with her stories or a nice walk to the rivers and lakes he loves. Scourge has always adored the way the water hisses when it meets his skin. Anonya just enjoys the few moments she’s able to kiss her son’s forehead before he grows too warm to touch again.

But today he will not be sated by distractions and affections. Today he waits until his parents are asleep before he goes creeping into the woods with the light of his own glowing eyes to guide him. He wanders until the forest canopy overhead is so thick that it chokes out the light from the moon and stars. There, in that perfect black, he watches two blue eyes open before him. Scourge’s breath catches in his throat but he bites back the fear. Another step forward. The eyes blink slowly, like a pleased housecat.

Who are you?” he demands, but his voice cracks and his knees quake.
    “Only a distant relative,” a voice answers beside him, startling him so he jumps back.

When he looks back to that thick darkness, nothing meets his gaze.
    Slowly, foxfire blooms to life and Crowns emerges from behind the yearling boy. The magician says nothing as he comes to rest alongside the burning child.

Why do you keep following me?” he asks in a whisper.
    “Is that what I’m doing?” he laughs, hearty and full. “I suppose I’m bored and you just fascinate me.”

A long silence builds between them: the jack-o’-lantern and the jackal. Scourge can hear his heartbeat like a roar of thunder in his ears until Crowns finally speaks again.

“What is it you want from me, though? You’ve entertained me all this time and I’ve given you nothing in return.”
    I.. I want what you have.

More laughter fills the air, so loud and shrill it sends the sleeping birds from their roosts. The sound sends a shiver running up Scourge’s spine and he tastes bile on the back of his tongue. This was a mistake. Whatever hatred his father had for this creature seemed earned, now. But the wish has been heard and the serpent is already coiling itself around his heart. Though he sees nothing touching him, his chest grows tight and he whimpers in fear. The boy can hardly hear the magician proclaiming his stipulations.

“Five years. You can borrow my strength for five years’ time, and in the end I’ll collect what’s mine. Keep fascinating me, Kindling.”

Before the pet name leaves Crowns’ mouth, he is already running. Thick vines strung between the trees like pythons try to hold him back but they burn and wither at his touch. He runs until that laughter echoes only in his skull and not in his ears. When the sun peeks over the horizon and he is sure his legs can carry him no further, he collapses at the Tephran border, alone and terrified by what he’s done.
    Isilya

yet it was not that nature had shed o'er the scene
    her purest of crystal and brightest of green

The reign of nightmares continues to recede into Isilya’s memory, becoming just a dream itself - yet another time when she had existed as part of the forest around her instead of moving through it. She returns to her status as caretaker - not of the kingdom itself (they had a strong queen and king now), but the smaller lives she tended to within it. The few lantern birds that remained even now, years and years after the eclipse, and the gardens she grew.

Two new trees are growing in a particular corner of the forest that has become her nursery, and it is thoughts of those little dreamers that keep a smile on her face as she wanders elsewhere in the early hours of the day. Everything is still sleepy, waiting for the start of a new day, and there’s a light fog that swirls around her golden legs as she moves.

A small hum is just rising from her lips when she hears something that does not belong to the early morning quiet. Someone running? Not one to assume the worst, it is curiosity instead of concern that draws her forward closer towards the border. And that is when she spies the yearling boy, now collapsed, and all traces of a smile abandon her gold-and-green eyes.

Recklessly selfless, she approaches without hesitation - lowering her head and beckoning a soft glow from the flowers that adorn her that assists with the still-weak light from the rising sun as she looks him over, searching for something she can heal - something she can fix. “What happened?” Comes Isilya's soft voice, not bothering to ask if he is alright. Surely that is fear, and not just the results of a boy over-exerting himself for fun.

’twas not her soft magic of streamlet or rill
    oh! no, it was something more exquisite still

@scourge