• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  give me the twilight two-way vision; any

so if your wings won't find you heaven,
    I will bring it down like an ancient bygone

The sun sets, leaving red, claw-like marks of sky piercing through veil of clouds in its wake. As the world darkles, the varnish mare wanders, a somberness in the way that she carries herself. Naluca is often lost in the shroud of gloom that swirls about her - both metaphorically and in reality. Despite the air of melancholy to her, she is content in her twilight ventures. There is simply much that weighs to her mind - particularly the overwhelming feeling of being displaced.

She cannot remember how she found these lands, only that she was suddenly here. She remembers very little of her past, and even the recent happenings of the present. In the moment, while she treads carefully through foliage and under branches, she tries to search her mind for what could have lead her here. She remembers fragments; flashes of lighting that crackle against bleak and blackened skies, the dissonant whispers and mutterings of faceless voices, all which send a shiver up her spine. The unknown was all too familiar to her, and she wishes that wasn’t so. All of these disjointed thoughts agitate her.

Naluca loses focus of her surroundings, feathered hoof catching a root protruding from the ground as she walks so carelessly. She grunts as she trips, stumbling over the root. Within moments, she is shrouded in shadow. Naluca has had the ability to shift into an inky black mist, swirled with faint ribbons of purple. She shifts back only moments later with a shake of her horned head, sparing herself from what could have been an embarrassing tumble.

Naluca

ooc: this is crap but I'm trying sobs
    YOU'RE WALKING IN THE SHADOWS OF YOUR FEAR AND YOU'RE HEADED
    FOR THE GALLOWS, SIN AROUND YOUR THROAT AND NO ONE'S NEAR

For years he had fought against becoming what he now is.

He had fought against the encroaching shadows, had resisted the aching hunger that told him to seek out fear and despair; he had clung to the boy he used to be before that twisted labyrinth of nightmares had changed him into this. He had refused to accept that that boy had died in those writhing tunnels — refused to think that a piece of himself would always be lost to them, and that this, this is what he had been left with.

That felt like a lifetime ago.

Whatever thin control he’d had was now lost to the darkness, and he cannot remember when this self-imposed exile had even started. There had already been so few that could make that monstrous heart of his beat as if he were truly alive, that could make him feel anything beyond the desire to feed. He can’t afford to think of her anymore; Despoina is buried to the far recesses of his mind, safe, her sorrow no longer greedily siphoned by him.

Everyone he sees now is prey, and prey alone.
    He doesn’t kill them, of course. He doesn’t need their flesh and blood; just their fear, their sorrow, their rage.

This place is rarely in short supply of that, though he will admit things have been dreadfully peaceful as of late. For so long there had been disaster after disaster — kingdoms leveled and sank, families torn apart. Fear and sorrow were rampant, and he had grown almost lazy with no longer needing to hunt.

But now, he slinks through the dark of the forest in his canine form, the shadows of his fur melting easily with the dimness of his surroundings. It is easy for him to remain undetected, his steps virtually silent. He has been tracking the mare for some time, although it’s largely unnecessary. There are easier ways to get what he needs from them, but it has become a twisted kind of hobby to trail them and see who they are when they think no one is watching. Usually the fear that floods them when they do finally become aware of the shadowed-creature with the haunting eyes following them is all he needs.

She trips, but instead of falling she spins into something shadow-like before becoming solid again, and that is the only thing that causes his predator brain to pause, something else briefly overriding it.

He is drawn to shadows, but not because of what he is.
    Shadows remind him of his father, of his siblings, and of Beryl — things that he had maybe once cared about.

And all at once he is slipping from the protection of the trees, shedding his canine form in favor of his equine one — still made entirely of darkness, but the shape is less threatening, save for the unsettling crimson-glow of his eyes.  “Are you lost?” he asks her, his shadowed tongue softening the gravel in his rarely used voice.
    T O R R Y N

@Naluca

so if your wings won't find you heaven,
    I will bring it down like an ancient bygone

She regains her composure, giving a shudder to roll the remnants of inky mist off of her spotted hide. Naluca’s heartbeat picks up pace slightly. She catches the feeling of the slight anxiety creeping up the back of her throat. Her brow furrows, purple eyes shifting to the flora in front of her. Surely, she was not the only creature to roam and wander the twilight hours. The forest was quiet, but most are in her experiences. In this instance, it is eerily quiet. Fauna that typically scurry and swoop between the foliage were exceptionally quieted as the sun fell behind the horizon. The night was young, but it darkles all the same. Nighttide was not a hinderance. in fact, it was often her advantage. Naluca flutters her eyelids to adjust her vision - the entire world becoming clear as day, but color washes away into shades of grey.

As she carefully observes the foliage in front of her, she neglects what could lurk in her wake. Naluca is not experienced in traveling alone. Her two siblings, though adoptive, were the ones who took her in at such a young and helpless age, cared for her deeply and as best as young horses could take care of one another. The separation of the trio was not calculated. However, it was a strangely welcoming experience to the horned mare, though nerve-wracking and exciting all the same.

There was a heaviness that befalls the surrounding area. The gloom creeps up every vertebrae of her spine and she involuntarily shivers. A voice drawls from the thickets behind her and her ears flicker backwards to catch the source. She turns, meeting with intense eyes emerging from the shadowed foliage. To her, they were grey, but the intensity of them made her assume them to be of a red or orange shade. Too bright to be any cool-toned colors. She would only know in daylight.

“I suppose I am.” Her voice is soft and quiet, “These lands are foreign to me. I’ve only just wandered my way here a few hours ago.” she ceases speaking, watching carefully. “I suppose that might be a bit obvious, though.” Admittedly Naluca wasn’t clever enough to make herself look like she knew where she was going, nor stop rambling when she was nervous - too in awe of her newfound freedoms.

“I’m Naluca.” Perhaps ever the fool, but her innate politeness overrides her wariness and she couldn’t refuse the compulsion to introduce herself.

Naluca

@Torryn
    YOU'RE WALKING IN THE SHADOWS OF YOUR FEAR AND YOU'RE HEADED
    FOR THE GALLOWS, SIN AROUND YOUR THROAT AND NO ONE'S NEAR

The fear that had briefly raced along her spine still hung in the air, lingering and enticing. He knows how easy it would be to feed that fear — how quickly they can go from being on edge to falling off of it, with just a little guidance from him. Fear to him is like blood to a shark; he wants to follow it, wants to devour the source of it, and it is infuriating to him how insatiable that hunger seemed to be.

But there are other things that he is hungry for, things that the monster does not crave but the long-lost boy always will. Her shadows distract him from the most base feeling of hunger and divert his attention elsewhere, tugging at his curiosity and prodding that aching pit of loneliness that he can never escape.

“Then I suppose a welcome is in order,” he says, his dark lips curling into a smile. The subtly shifting shadows of his face detract from what might have been a kind gesture, and shield much of the emotion that a normal face might have been able to portray. There are days where Torryn forgets that he is a monster; most often in conversation, when words flow and he thinks himself only as the blue roan boy born beneath the shade of the Taiga trees, sheltered by his father’s shadows. He forgets the way someone else might see him — billowing darkness and glowing-bright eyes — and that his very presence evokes anxiety and insanity.

He could almost forget entirely, if not for the faint wariness still radiating from her.

“Torryn,” he responds with his own introduction after hers, the intensity of his gaze never lessening, until he finally gives in to what had drawn him to her in the first place and comments, “I saw you dissolve into something like shadows. Have you always been able to do that?”
    T O R R Y N

@Naluca