• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

any!
    I need practice. Does anyone want to rumble?

Two posts each, no longer than 650 words
    one attack per post, counterattacks count
    one block for the entire thing
    traits are up to you
    lets agree to have no more than three days between posts

Winner gets a whole plate of brownie points!
    I can agree, you go first! Traits are fine if you have any - Kimber is without anything spare immortality.

Stats:

Kimber
    Female
    Black to blue ombre
    Andalusian Hybrid
    Immortal
    15.2hh
    Stocky build
    Fennick
    Male
    Black
    5 years
    Hybrid
    No traits
    16.2hh
    Warmblood build (powerful back and haunches, long legs, well muscled neck)

the darkest nights produce the brightest stars

On the battlefield Fennick was freed from his normal social anxieties. On this hard, sun baked earth he felt whole and centered. Here, all that mattered was him, his opponent and the brutal clash of their bodies. Fennick grinned widely. They may not be playing for any real stakes, but weren’t most battles about the glory anyways?

With a careful eye he sized up Kimber. She was about a hand shorter than him, but she was stocky. Their size difference wouldn’t be a noticeable advantage for him. Fennick could reach higher, as he was taller, but he would have to be careful when guarding his chest and barrel. She was well positioned to attack low. He momentarily considered attacking from above. He could rear to try and aim a bite at her ear, this using that height difference too his advantage. Quickly, Fennick dismissed that plan. She could charge him, and her lower center of gravity could put her in a good position to wipe his feet out from under him.

Fennick decided to combine his thought process and charged before she could launch the first attack. The big stallion barreled at Kimber, his haunches bunching as he hurtled forward. He needed to reach her before she could turn and lash out with her dangerous hind legs. He tried to keep out of kicking range as he aimed to T-bone her at her barrel. The stallion arched his neck and tried to latch on to her withers with his teeth. If he could get a firm grip, and if he hit hard enough, perhaps the force of his impact would knock her down. Unfortunately, there weren’t any rocks for her to trip over, but the earth was cracked and pitted, a careless horse could easily lose their balance.

If he was successful and Kimber fell, Fennick would fall too. But, she would be bellow him. She would, quite literally, cushion his fall. It was a risky move, an all out blitz, but Fennick thought it was worth it. He may be fast, but he was too large to out maneuver a truly nimble opponent. His strength and sheer size were his biggest assets, and he would play them to his advantage.

And besides, there was no reward without a little risk. He may turn a hoof if they fell, but she would bear the brunt of his weight and snapping teeth. He wouldn’t want to be her ribs if he landed on them. Fennick had cracked a rib before, and knew how quickly that pain could end a battle.

With his attack executed, Fennick's first priority was to put some space between his opponent and himself. The large stallion jumped back and began to wheel around, trying to present her with the haunches he had been so keen to avoid when he attacked.

He had lost some weight during the winter, and hadn’t yet replaced it with spring grass. His bone’s didn’t have a full layer of fat to cover them. His ribs, spine and hip bones were all vulnerable. If he was going to take a blow, he wanted it to land on the meaty part of his flank, or the padding of his rump. He could take a solid blow to the chest, but he wanted to protect his face and eyes at all cost.

Fennick
    Whale x Rea

the way to a man's heart is through the chest cavity with a chainsaw

Kimber has been a member of the Chamber a little over a year now and has trained, every day for most of that year but has yet to battle. She is usually quite mouthy, cocky but she knows that she is at square one and although she doesn't know her opponents past often stallions inherently are larger, more muscle and when she arrives; taller. She sees his cards, granted he doesn't have any hidden wilds. In her hand though, she has likely more agility, speed and compact.

There is not much time to deliberate attacks, her opponent is barreling towards her and she can feel her heartbeat in her temple...then her throat. Thu-thud, thu-thud as Fennick draws closer she goes to counter, instinctively by pulling her neck to the right and her front forelegs following to try to provide some space between the two. As she pulled her front to the right to lunge away from her attacker, she was not quick enough - as he aimed to T-bone her barrel, he landed not too far from his target. As her legs lunged forward, her stifle and the glutes became prone to injury. Contact is made.

GOD BLESS ALL THAT IS HOLY THIS. IS. TERRIBLE. Ok, Ok, I'm not dead but this motherfucker is about to get it. Asshole.

She doesn't waste much time, wincing as she can feel the bruising begin to start; the capillaries break, the blood pools, the knot starts forming. She doesn't give Fennick much time to put a good distance between them. She pulls her neck back to the left using her right side to pull her weight inward she sides up with him on his right side. She cannot use her left side to be weight-bearing as it could result in more injury. Just as he comes to turn to face her she stretches her neck up and kicks her front legs out, her balance shaky as she aims for his shoulder. Her teeth are bared, partially because if he tries to bite or retaliate inward she could try to make contact with his mandible or better yet; eyes - partially because she's a whiney bitch and in pain.

Let's discuss what could happen here shall we?

If Fennick moves to complete a front facing position, he subjects his head, the most probable area being his mandible (she's not quite high enough or with enough momentum to reach his poll assuming he will protect his eyes/head at all costs) or nose area. Resulting in a nasal bone being crushed, his jaw being crushed or fractured, teeth being jarred all of which could result in even more weight lost on an already thin frame. If she makes contact with the assumption she's approaching his right side at just shy of a 90 degree angle the shoulder is subjected here along with the elbow, potentially the withers or rib area. If he happens to rear in defense he may collide with her and end up causing more harm if contact was made sooner with more power. He could launch himself forward like she had, providing a similar injury or worse due to being an overhead attack this could take out that vulnerable hip or a spinal/nerve injury. Sidestepping was a slow task and she would surely make contact. The possibilities were endless, we can assume but the attack is over.

She has no option but to lag somewhat from her attack, luckily adrenaline is keeping her going as she the strain on her injury may not allow her to continue for multiple rounds. Coming down from the rear, she pivots to the right giving her a good distance from the front of her body from Fennick. She goes to circle him, one because a moving target is harder to hit and two because as much as it hurts she knows that the swelling will grow if she stays still.

Maybe she will rethink this whole army thing when this is over, shit.

K I M B E R
    sui domina et libera

the darkest nights produce the brightest stars

She is faster, faster than him and Fennick doesn’t have time to spin away from her before Kimber is on him again. He had gotten in close when he had body checked her, and while he had tried to spin away, tried to put distance between them, tried to present her with nothing but well padded rump, he was not fast enough. She lashed out with her front legs at almost a 90 degree angle from his right shoulder. While he sees the blow coming, all he can do is try and finish the spin. He already has momentum carrying him left, the best he can do is keep the trajectory, and hope to lessen her blow. He is still moving left, in what would be an impressive turn on the haunches, when her hooves strike directly behind his right elbow.

Fennick whinnies in pain. Unfortunately, she had not struck the thick, well padded meat of his shoulder. But, neither had she nailed him directly on the ribs. His elbow and the side of his pectoral muscle scream a protest none the less, and Fennick feels the horrible straining of bruised tissue as he completes his spin away from her.

He hurts, and he is not in the mood to do any complicated dance moves. He is not agile enough to maneuver in these close quarters, so again he goes for brute force. He musters all his strength and rocks to his front legs and bucks. Both his hind legs fly towards her in a brutal, if not immaculately well aimed attack. Even a partial hit with two back hooves would be enough to potentially bench even the toughest fighter. He doesn’t have the luxury of being picky about his aim, but hopes she is still within range.

His hurt elbow screams in agony as his full weight is transferred to his front legs. It is too much, and the limb gives way. With a crash and puff of dust, Fennick’s face smashes into the ground. But his attack is completed, and he feels nothing but satisfaction even if he tastes nothing but dirt. The second his back hooves hit the ground he is scrambling to his feet. He greatly favors his right shoulder as Kimber circles him. He still has three good legs, and the best thing he can do is keep her in front of him and in his sight. He won’t attempt another attack, rather, he will wait for her to come to him and play the defensive as best as he can. Pivoting like this is not easy. Every time he picks up his right leg his elbow pops menacingly, and he has to fight to keep from wincing. Yet, he needs to do this, needs to keep her in his sight. If at all possible, he would meet her head on. Better to see her attack coming and have time to dodge, rather than be surprised from behind.

Adrenaline from the battle and from his own injury surges through him. He grins, the red dirt looking like blood against his black muzzle. Bring it on, Fennick is waiting.

Fennick
    Whale x Rea

the way to a man's heart is through the chest cavity with a chainsaw

Yes! She has a small dance party in her head as she hears him whimper aloud, what a wuss. At least I died on the inside, never show it if you can help it. No time to poke fun though because it wasn't even seconds before he was retaliating with a buck, her first instinct is to jerk her head away from the line of fire and to the left but before she can come out unscathed his hooves sharply hit her center chest. She feels as though she could die right there, a whooping cough comes out - the breath was gone and perhaps he shook her heart into a different rhythm. Her shoulder was clipped by his right hind leg; she stumbles down to her knees and some of her blue hair must be still attached to his hooves because there's a new bald patch.

She lifts herself up as easily as she can with a previous injury to her left back side and now front right side. She continues to execute her plan though, circling him and keeping the stillness and in turn, stiffness out. Her stride isn't as smooth or quick but she is still agile as possible.

She decides to give him a taste of his own medicine, she circles up to the side where his elbow had been injured and kept her pattern to fake out a continued circle but instead lunged forward to use all her body weight into that shoulder area. She knows that she is going to stagger and potentially fall, whether she makes contact or not. She may be a couple hundred pounds lighter but any pressure on an existing injury is going to be like tight shoes on an ingrown toenail. She lifts her shoulders and legs slightly in hopes of making contact and using her upper body to really sink the attack. This could take out that elbow completely, a shoulder, any number of bones or tendons above the knees, not to mention if they fall together she’s heavy enough to bust some ribs. ”How ya like your own medicine?” she says breathily, out of breath to to be honest but she hurries to stabilize herself, bolting from him only to find that her hind leg is not pulling its weight. Fuck she thinks knowing she may not be far enough away for him to do a defensive attack. She pulls her neck forward to hobble further off and turning to face him.

She starts pacing back and forth, her eyes keeping contact on him. Although she isn’t too confident about her fight, she is proud that she’s done it and hopes that the Chamber won’t be too embarrassed of her…well, I mean she would if she cared about things like that. She can keep going, she’s the immortal one even though she isn’t aware of that just yet.

K I M B E R
    sui domina et libera

ooc: it was nice to write a battle post without a lot of pressure! I got a lot to work on but I appreciate you writing with me! Big Grin

I guess we need judges?
    Fennick 1:
    + Good observation of your differences
    ○ The extra bit about him considering an attack and then not following through with it is just fluff for me.
    - In your attack you don’t mention what side you are attacking. You want to be as descript about your attack as possible to leave no chance for misunderstanding on your opponent’s behalf.
    - This is also two attacks. There’s the initial shove/T-bone movement and a separate biting attack. As you continue the post, you also point out that they are two attacks.
    “If he could get a firm grip, AND if he hit hard enough…..”  

“But she would bear the brunt of his weight AND snapping teeth”
    (I’ve added capitalizing for emphasis)
    + I like that you realize that your attack is not without risk of danger to yourself, and you’ve pointed those risks out.
    + He’s also very well aware of his own disadvantages, which is nice.

Kimber 1:
    ○ I struggled to follow how you took Fennick’s first attack (which is partially due to him not specifying what side). Horses are solid masses, not rubber and will not just bounce off each other. That said, I would’ve liked to see either some type of stumble from taking the impact or a front leg pivot to try and move with the impact. 
    + Favoring your own injuries during your attack
    + Very simple attack, but definitely thought out. Like that you kept at only a partial rear both for speed and because of the size differences.
    ○ No point loss for teeth here because you only bare them, but do not actively use them to attack. 
    + Good pointing out potential damages and possible movements.
    - After her right pivot, does she continue to circle to the right or does she start circling to the left (which would be my thought as after she pivots away from Fennick, starting a left circle would make much more sense than finishing her spin to start a right circle)

Fennick 2:
    + I like that you play right through her attack and take the damage well.
    ○ I know you’re kicking blind, but would’ve like to see a few options for side movement on Kimber.
    + First thing I thought about when Fennick bucked was that elbow. Loved that you played through the injury well, even though it put your character at a disadvantage.

Kimber 2:
    + Good detail with taking damage and your own stumble.
    - You still don’t specify which way you are circling. We can figure it out from your next attack, but it shouldn’t be up to us to figure it out.
    + I do like that you are focusing on a single area to take him out though.
    ○ Would like to see a few more counter options for Fennick. He’s not just going to be a constant target. He’s likely to move and I like seeing that you as a player recognize this fact.

Winner: Fennick

Even though you both tied tally wise, I found that Fennick's attacks were a little easier to follow with less guessing on my behalf.  I loved that both of you followed through with your injuries, even if it put you at a disadvantage. This was a VERY close battle that I enjoyed reading. Just work on some more details (which I know is hard with word limits) and small specifications and you guys will both keep improving. 

I'll also point out that because this was a mock, I did not verify that the word count was under the 650 limit. In a battle with word limits, while not required, it's really nice to just have it posted at the bottom so we know.