• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

let's hang together, shall we, Straia?

I have an unreserved respect and affection for queens over kings.

Oh, yes, it's probably sexist of me and horribly biased, but let's face it. I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks.

You see, mares are just as capable as stallions to rule (or anything) but we often get a bad rap as being bitchy and emotional and liable to burn a kingdom down because someone stared at our ass too long. And I say, what's wrong with that anyway? Perhaps we are just better at channeling our outrage in fun ways. Men wish they had our ability to kick ass and sport flowing locks all at once.

Not to mention, anyone who can rule a kingdom while hauling around a massive pregnant belly knows the true meaning of sacrifice for their cause. Gods, if a stallion tried pregnancy he'd never fuck again in case he had to deliver a second baby.

But I digress. A lot.

Straia is a queen I have met in passing, on an official diplomatic mission. For all that she rules the Chamber, a land I am never inclined to admire, I have to admit to curiosity. She has a lineage of royalty, and from what I've gathered from Kushiel's mind, is more than equipped to handle her job.

And that can't be an easy one, knowing my son. He's a full time job in and of himself.

I approach the borders of the Chamber and toss my head, a tad irritable. I've had a rotten touch down again, because of course in the hundred plus years I've had my wings, I haven't mastered a fucking landing and my leg throbs from where it collided with a log.
    Logs should not be just lying around.

I whicker, confident that someone will hear my call. Come closer, and let us make plans for some fun, my dear queen.

Never mind that I am not the Valley's ruler and have little authroity. That can always be changed. After all, I have a deeply personal interest in my darling's welfare, and I have a feeling that my devotion for my home barely outpaces Straia's for hers. If only, if only there were a way to measure that.

G A L L O W S
    We must all hang together or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

She has never thought twice about being a King versus a Queen. Perhaps it does make her more badass simply being a she, particularly considering a large number of her members were in fact male and seemed to follow her rather loyally. Of course she knows they serve the Chamber and not her (she too serve the Chamber and not herself). But this is almost more rewarding, because if they believed she was failing the kingdom, the crown would not still be on her head.

But no one has ever questioned her place as Queen. Not when she used Eight to help her usurp her father (and of course, as an added little perk, sold him to the Valley). Not in her decisions, though she made very few without at least consulting her kingdom. Not even so many years later, when the crown of feathers and ash and thorns has sat on her head for so long.

She has never really thought much of her lineage, in truth. She only believes she has earned the throne by dedication to her kingdom and hard work. But she was born to rule. It comes easily to her. She does feel the weight of the crown pulling her down. And perhaps this is something to do with her bloodline. She is the product of the old dynasty and the new in the Chamber, and at one point was related to the ruling families of three other kingdoms in Beqanna. She is not nothing, certainly. But she could have been born a meadow bum’s daughter, and she would have made sure she was not nothing.

The ravens alert her to the visitor, and Straia knows this to be the mare from the Valley visit based on the description the ravens give her. She clears her mind, leaving a cute little dancing raven in her head instead – birdbrain. Literally. Not that she knows for sure that this mare is a mind reader, but she has her suspicions. And she does not yet trust this mare, or the Valley. She wants to, of course, but she is no fool.

She slowly slips her way through the pine trees until she sees the mare. She grins slightly, that mischievous gleam in her eyes. “Did you miss us already?”

straia

the raven queen of the chamber

image © Squirt

Use of mild power playing is allowed; no injuries without permission

She arrives in a timely fashion, which is commendable considering the activity in her kingdom. I can't admit to being entirely good natured about that. All of the kingdoms ebb and flow, I know, but it's worse when the ebb is happening to the place that claims you. I snort. Demian is doing a decent job as far as that's concerned. I'll give credit where it is due.

Not to his face, naturally. What would be the point?

"The company, if not the environment." I grin easily in response to her question. "Doesn't that beating heart thing get a bit maddening after awhile?"

The Valley has the good sense to hold still, I might add. I don't say that out loud, of course. Something about diplomacy and blah blah blah. No point in starting a Chamber versus Valley banter so early in the conversation. After all, nothing else would get accomplished if that happened.

"I'm Gallows, and I happen to know you are Straia."

I didn't need to read her currently raven occupied mind to know this. Kushiel has provided a lovely reference picture in his own mind. He's such a helpful son. All mothers should have one, I think. I can't overtly approve of his, how shall we put this? Lifestyle choices? But if he had to choose a kingdom that wasn't the Valley I suppose the Chamber is the best of the options.

God, he could have gone to the Gates. I might have killed him.

I glance around, absently, wondering if I will spot his tall gray form working. Well, not working. Let's be honest. This is Kushiel we are talking about.

"You know about Demian and all that nonsense, of course." I say this affectionately, the way a mother looks at her naughty child and can't help but laugh at their disobedient antics. "I'm here to see what interest there is in an alliance between the Chamber and the Valley. I believe of all the kingdoms we are most alike in background and future plans. And perhaps, we could do something interesting together." I grin wickedly. "Something fun."

Oh yes, there's more to life than hedonism, but really, how much more? I ruffle my wings, and wait.

G A L L O W S

The beauty of being a Queen is she is always timely. Even when she’s late, everyone else is simply early. She’s never late. Not even fashionably late. She is the party, after all. Everyone else simply has to wait.

That said, the ravens do make quicker entrances far easier. They alert her to guests and where those guests are to be found, rather than relying on her own sense of smell to lead her. Otherwise, it just happened to be Gallows lucky day that Straia wasn’t otherwise occupied with something more interested. Though truthfully, Gallows was very likely to be one of the most interested options Straia has. She is curious what the Valley thinks of fun, after all. She is also curious about Gallows, given Kushiel’s recommendation.

And warning.

“I was born to the beat of that heart. It is as much mine as it is the Chamber’s,” she says simply, dismissing any possible insult to the land. Straia has been to the Valley many times, and there is nothing interesting or distinct about the land. It’s perfectly acceptable. The Chamber, on the other hand, has it’s own built in army deterrent in the form of misty pine trees, a beating heat, and now a tree that is constantly on fire. And also ravens, but those will die with their Queen.

She doesn’t find it weird that Gallows knows who she is. Whether her son had given that information away, or Gallows was simply smart enough to identify the Raven Queen of the Chamber. Straia is well known as such throughout Beqanna, and she doesn’t keep herself a secret. After all, the crown of raven feathers on her head is as good as screaming her name these days.

Though she is slightly more curious as to just what image of herself Kushiel may have given his mother. Some of them were less than mother-friendly. Though nothing R-rated. At least not yet. She makes no promises. She rather likes the boy.

Thankfully, there’s still a dancing raven in her head. He’s very good at keeping her mind occupied and off potentially revealing thoughts. Also, he’s sort of cute. And amusing.

“I do,” she says, because of course she knows. She can’t mind read, but she has an army of spies. She knows most everything happening in Beqanna. “I believe you and I might share a definition of fun,” she says, simply because if the mare was here mentioning fun, Straia assumes this one likes chaos as well. You don’t see a different type of fun in the Chamber. “But what does your King think of fun?” This is the real question. Gallows may be a great friend, one day, but what of the stallion that made all the calls?

straia

image © Squirt

I have a sneaking suspicion that my son has something to do with Straia's lovely dancing raven. His admiration of her was easily accesible when I spoke with him. Which is all well and good, one ought to be loyal to one's queen, but not at the expense of one's mother. And I know exactly how to punish him for it. I growl mentally, planning a surprise for darling Kush. He's forgetting how very testy his mother can get when she is messed with.

I toss my head slightly, my equivalent of a shrug. "Demian enjoys fun and has only been seeking a good opportunity for the Valley. He does what the majority want. If it ever came to an issue of him holding her back, well, he wouldn't be a ruler for much longer."

I say this calmly. It isn't news to anyone. Demian himself would hear those words from my lips if I felt he needed to hear them. The Valley is more important than any one of us. I wouldn't stand for an ineffective and incompetent king and nor would she. The Valley that is. For though the Chamber has a beating heart, the Valley is pulsing with life whether she has inhabitants or not.

"I'm old school, Straia. I believe there are kingdoms that will always tend more to the restrictions of morality while there are others who need to point out the flaws in a moralistic society, no matter what the new order of Beqanna is.

I snort derisively. The kingdoms may not have the alliances of light and dark but little that I have observed has changed. There must always be places for those who want freedom and those who want their decisions made for them.

You can guess which I would choose.

As you know, raven spies or not, we are small yet, but there is still strength in the Valley. And I believe we could find mutual pleasure in one another's company. And it would be useless of the Valley to seek alliance with any and every kingdom if our missions are not aligned. This practice of making peace with all to avoid skirmishes takes quite a bit of fun out of life, don't you think?

After all, it's terribly boring just being pleasant all the time.

G A L L O W S

She doesn’t find Gallow’s comment about Demian particularly unsettling. That was the thing about the Chamber and the Valley. They didn’t tolerate worthless monarchs very well. Straia knows this. She knows very well that should there be a day the Chamber no longer wants her on the throne, she won’t be on it. Granted, she has no intentions of letting that be the case. When she is no longer the best for the Chamber, she will remove herself and place the best in her place. Because the Chamber deserves the best. The Valley seems to think along those same lines.

Other kingdoms though? No wonder they suffered so. They tolerated worthless monarchs. Their loss, and Straia’s gain.

She likes Gallows though. The mare is straightforward enough, and answers Straia’s questions. No beating around the bush, or wasting time. The dancing raven doesn’t go away, but Straia lets a few thought on the Gates slip through. Just as a preview of what the Chamber is already starting. Its not like that skirmish wouldn’t be public knowledge soon enough anyway.

“I don’t understand the point in being friends with everyone. Because let’s be honest, so many of them are fools.” The Gates King and Queen, the Falls. She had little love for either kingdom, though both were small fish. They were just the appetizers. In the end, she wants a bigger target. And the Amazons and Tundra were quickly making themselves look tasty for dinner. Though she knows the risk there as well. “I would love to continue the alliance that exists between our kingdoms. If we are as likeminded as it seems, then I believe our alliance can be mutually beneficial.”

She pauses for a moment, and then adds. "If you could choose anywhere, where would you light the first fire?" Because of course, this is always her favorite question to ask.

straia

image © Squirt

"The Amazons" I reply instantly. The Dale is a very very close second, but that's a personal grudge and I do try not to indulge in those if they don't make strategic sense. "They have the reputation of tough warriors but when was they last time they were tested? And with a new queen on the throne, things could be unstable."

In my opinion, it's better to go after the stronger opponent first so they don't have time to gird up for war when they hear you are out chomping on the little guys.

I am instantly intrigued by her thoughts on the Gates. A silly, redundant kingdom full of butterflies and other shit, no doubt. One might as well combine the Gates and the Deserts for all the power they actually wield. They could have the world's strongest magicians and still stay happy and peaceful in their home instead of doing something with their strength. And I have to say, it was wise on Straia's part to unleash her dog for this endeavor. Gryffen, I mean. He seems to have quite a bit of pent up energy that needs an outlet. After all, his play pen will only satiate so much blood lust. His mind is quite the dark little place.

"It's gratifying to see someone make good use of what they have." I grin a little wider, responding to the thoughts she has let slip. "Especially seeing as you managed to get Kushiel off his ass. That's an accomplishment in itself."

Fire skills he has plenty of. Ambition and initiative? Well, is there a word for less than none?

I am eager to see the outcome of Straia's move on the Gates, if the Amazons or the Dale will step in to help.

"I kidnapped a monarch once myself. Amusing business, really, but I couldn't understand how they could allow an ineffective idiot to continue ruling. I really feel I did them a favor."

Oh sweet nostalgia.

"So tell me, Straia. How can the Valley help the Chamber? For I have a feeling if we help you, we will be helping each other equally. And I can say with quite a bit of certainty that the Valley would be very interested in helping you with future, hm, parties, should we say?"

G A L L O W S

Her answer is quick, and Straia simply smiles in response. She doesn’t have to let her thoughts slip on the matter, her smile is enough. She doesn’t disagree with that. A battle with the Amazons means the Amazons, Falls (they hardly count though), and potentially the Deserts against the Chamber and the Valley. They would be outnumbered, but Straia wasn’t sure that they would be outmatched.

“Their new queen is thirsty for a raid. Give her a reason, and she would come knocking. Though I think I’d rather be on the offensive, even if it means navigating the Jungle.” What was the point in letting the Amazons set the terms? Besides, she refused to have anyone burn her trees again. They had finally regrown, and she didn’t need an army knocking down her pine forest.

Though she is aware of the drastic advantage they have inside the Chamber. The pine trees stand sentry and make it difficult for any advancing army. The Chamber could probably hold them off inside the forest forever and end a war without seeing another horse.

Still though, she really did love her trees. Sometimes it was hard to choose.

“I lit a fire under his ass, so to speak,” she says with a grin. What she really did was win him over with some flirting and then give him a fire raven to keep so long as he served. She gave him the one thing he’d always been lacking, a constant source for his power.

”Though one of the Deserts magicians decided to put their nose where they didn’t belong and save the Gates. As if there was anything worth saving. I believe your son has been teleported to the Deserts.” She isn’t worried about the boys, though she’s mildly annoyed at baby magicians playing god so very often. Her ravens, of course, are keeping her constantly up to date on the boys whereabouts, and should they need assistance, she can send it to them from anywhere.

She commands more than just an army of spies. The rest of the world seems to forget that, though she doesn’t mind. Let them forget.

“How big of a party?” she says with a grin. The dancing raven steps aside, and she reveals her thoughts. Thoughts on the Amazons and how many of the Chamber members they have stolen or attempted to steal. Lyris was still here, they could keep her. They could bring the Amazons to them. It was an option. 

Thoughts on the Deserts and those pesky little magicians. She lets Gallows know that Camrynn and Lagertha have been talking, though no alliance has been reached. But maybe, maybe they could take them both out at once.  

Or maybe they just start sneaking into all the kingdoms and lightning them on fire. Either way.

straia

image © Squirt
    Figured we could consider our conversation concluded and continue it in the Valley with your new thread… if that's all right with you, darling?

I shall post there directly.