• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

and some by virtue fall; Gallows

To look at him, you would think Kushiel was a grown man who relied on no one. Those who knew him would tell you otherwise. In many ways, Kushiel was just an overgrown kid. Now was one of those times that he felt like it. It may be a remnant of a rather rambunctious childhood, but he always got an uneasy feeling in his stomach when his mother wanted to talk to him. His first reaction, as ridiculous as it might be, was, “oh shit, what have I done?”

It was not something he was proud of.
    So, it was with some unease that he fidgeted in the meadow. He tried to think of the things that could have displeased her. That list was uncomfortably long. Let’s see, what had he done since they last spoke? He had told Straia about Gallows’ mind reading. Then there was that business of burning the Gates’ mother tree to the ground. And lets not forget the diplomat he had kidnapped and then followed home. Kushiel winced a little.

Dammit, this might be a long talk.

But still, certainly most of those things would be less offensive to his mother then they would be to most mothers. She already had expressed her displeasure at the spilling of her secrets. She had bit him, really hard. True, it hadn’t done much more than bruise, and true he had it coming, but still. It shocked him to his very core.

And still it left the question of what Gallows could have to say to him. Kushiel hunkered down by a tree, and tried not to feel like a little boy sitting in the time out corner.

@[Calli]

Gods, has the Meadow always been this far?

I hate walking. I have rediscovered that about myself. Walking is just… it's completely pointless when you have wings. The ground, woo hoo, nothing I haven't seen before. But the sky! The landscape there changes a dozen times within a day. I will never grow tired of stretching my wings and catching a thermal over the Valley.

But of course, I had to go and get knocked up once more which significantly impedes my ability to fly. It makes me grumpy at a time when I am already grumpy.

Lucky Kushiel.

As to this pregnancy? I love my son but I wanted a daughter as well. Thankfully, that is exactly what I'm getting. Mind reading does, in fact, extend to the unborn. Although babies tend to think in pictures and lights, and they don't make great conversationalists. Mostly I tune out the kid's contented ramblings. Just wait, girl. It gets a lot crazier out here.

I get a wonderful sense of glee thinking of this little one driving her big brother to distraction. Just a bit of payback, perhaps, for his tumultuous childhood.

Not that I would change Kushiel for the world. He's made quite an impression on Beqanna with his fire skills, and I am the picture of a proud mother. I catch sight of him moments after crossing over the border, half sulking against a towering tree. I scan his mind a bit, picking up some details to flesh out the stories I have heard. I greet him with a grin. Poor boy, I ought to go a bit gentle on him. It's not every grown son whose mother publicly humiliates him on the challenge field.

"You have been busy, Kushiel. You're the talk of quite a few minds."

I nuzzle him, rubbing the sore spot on his neck. After a moment I indicate my growing stomach. I swear it grows by the hour. Soon I will have my own moon.

"I've been busy too, darling. You are going to have a little sister."

Honestly I shouldn't have to say it. You would have to be completely dense or self absorbed not to know I am pregnant at this point. Then again, I always thought Kushiel was paying attention when I was teaching him fighting tactics. We saw how that turned out.

"And please don't throw a tantrum about it." I tease. "Of course I'll always love you and all that other required parent shit I'm supposed to say. And yes, you will be babysitting although so help me, if you turn this child into a chamberling I will seriously consider filicide."

Of the two of us, I'm going to be that Kush is the more ecstatic one. And I swear to the gods if he mentions my age I will kick his ass again, pregnant or no.

G A L L O W S
    We must all hang together or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

Waiting had never been Kushiel’s forte. When he was waiting on anyone, one minute seemed like ten and ten seemed more like an hour. So, by the time he saw Gallows, Kushiel was lounging against a tree like his feet hurt. He had passed the (extremely short) time by groaning loudly and making exasperated faces. All the other horses in the Meadow had given him a wide, wide breath. He was free to grouse and pout without fear of interruption. 

When he did see his mother he jumped to his feet, momentarily forgetting he was dreading this interview.

“Finally!” He crowed, though it had been a remarkably short time. Still, he said it with a smile and greeted her with an affectionate head but. She nuzzled his sour spot and Kushiel pulled it away, cringing though he barely felt it at all. Men unused to physical pain were worse than the smallest, silliest of girls. Kushiel made an art of milking small injuries for all they were worth. Still, he recovered quickly enough at the sound of praise. He grinned roguishly at Gallows.

“What can I say, Ma? When you’ve got it, flaunt it.” By “it” he meant his fantastic skills. It never crossed his mind that his skills were, in fact, inborn, and he had done nothing to improve them. The fact that he was fantastic despite zero effort on his part simply proved his superiority. Hard work and disciple would ruin that. He was was so busy admiring himself that when Gallows spoke again he didn’t say anything for a long moment. His dopey smile disappeared to one of astonishment.

“Wha, wha, what?” He stuttered stupidly. Did she say sister?! Kushiel’s mind went blank with panic. Then flooded with images of a little girl version of himself. Some impish little devil torturing the Valley. A little spritely girl whining about how her mom always knew what she planning. Kushiel’s jaw snapped shut and his stunned expression turned into a beaming grin.

“That’s, that’s, FANTASTIC!" He nearly shouted the words, hopping a little on his four feet. His flame mane burned a little higher. He was going to have a sister, and she was going to just like him. Kushiel’s one regret in being a man was that all the other men got such a raw deal. There was no one of his caliber to lavish attention upon them, nobody with his flair for the dramatic.

Now all that would change.

He grinned down at his mom.

“I mean, don’t get me wrong, the idea of you…you know…is incredibly traumatizing, but hey! For a little sister I’ll deal with it.” It was perhaps the first time he ever willing “dealt with” anything. The idea of his mom making that sister was one he would need to lock far, far back in his mind. He was just fine with assuming there really was a huge stork that brought babies to the craziest women, thus ensuring no child would grow up to be normal, and therefore criminally dull.

Her next words did cause him to pause for a minute. He had never even entertained the idea that a sister could threaten his place as the apple of his mother’s eye. He would need to give that some serious thought. He always assumed that would be completely impossible. Unless the goddess of love and beauty herself came out of that womb he was almost certain to have anyone beat. But still…competition was not something Kushiel accepted readily. He squinted down at her. A second later he shook his head sheepishly. What was he thinking? Nobody could threaten his place as first, and best son. He chucked his mother under her chin.

“On this one thing we are in agreement. No sister of mine is going to set foot in the Chamber until all those horny bastards are dead.” His thoughts immediately went to Gryffen and he shuttered violently. Oh hell no. He’d have to find a muzzle for that dog before little lady Kushiel was born.

(OOC: yay! I'm as excited as Kush Big Grin ))

I swear this half grown stallion in front of me is more excited about his prospective sister than I am. Which, I suppose, is typical of him. He has always had an affinity for children, whereas I love my own and pretty much despise everyone else's. I consider that a step up from my mother, who was indifferent to the lot of us. I'm not angry with her about it. Hell, it's probably the best thing she could have done for Cade and I. Our abandonment is just a fact of life. And it's not like I suffered any for it.

I grin a little, pleased with Kush's response.

"Yeah, well don't think about it for too long, Kushiel." I give him a sour look. "You ought to have more pity for me. I'm the one who will have to see her son get laid because it will probably be the foremost thing in your mind."

I can feel myself growing larger by the moment, I swear, and this little one is ten times more active than Kushiel was in utero. Half the time I was convinced he was dead he was so still. But no, he was just lazy from conception. This filly, however, is already bursting with energy. Unfortunately, she bursting with energy into my ribs.

I wince at a well placed kick from her hooves.

"I haven't got much time. I'll send word when she's born so you can meet her. Behave, Kushiel."

He knows what kind of behavior I mean. The very kind he is best at.

I wish I could gracefully fly away, but instead I have to settle for an ungainly lumber while I count down the days until I can regain my old body back. Gods, I miss flying.

G A L L O W S
    We must all hang together or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

ooc: little lady Kushiel. *giggles*