• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

we are aching bones and wasted years; becca, mast, any

you and I both know that the house is haunted
    and you and I both know that the ghost is me

That moment when someone accepted an invitation to call your home their own was always intoxicating, and this moment was no different. Magnus’ smile widened a little, his gold-flecked eyes burning as he took another step to close the gap between them, breaking the barrier between them as he nudged her neck gently. “I am so glad to hear that.” He jerked his head toward the border of the meadow.

“Are you ready to see your new home?”

With that, he began to lead her toward Heaven. It was, thankfully, not a far walk. In fact, the Gates was one of the closest kingdoms to the Field—a fact that Magnus was grateful for every day that he made the trek toward the place of souls looking for homes. It would be infinitely more difficult to keep up a steady hand at recruiting if he was constantly spending the better part of his day on the traveling alone.

As they journeyed together, Magnus did his best to keep up a steady stream of conversation, pointing out small landmarks or telling her more about what to expect when she got there: the lush green, the sweet air, the shy wildlife. Even the place where the attack had struck them, where the Chamber had burned the Gates. Now only a year later, they were only beginning to regrow the vegetation that they had lost.

Still, the kingdom would carry the marks of the magical burning for years to come.

It is only when they come to the border of Heaven that Magnus falls silent, taking in a greedy gulp of air as he watches the afternoon light slant over the rolling hills and open, grassy fields. He exhales slowly, the peace of being here spreading throughout him as he turns his gaze toward her. “Welcome to Heaven.”

MAGNUS

once general. once lord. once king.

© robert bejil photography

@[Becca]
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]
    She smiled as he stepped forwards lightly nudging her, Becca turned towards the kingdom obediently, dark chocolate ears perked as she awaited the golden stallion to lead her off to her new home. " Yes." she spoke with excitement. Prancing forwards as he took the lead becca couldn't help but, show her excitement keeping to his pace she pranced playfully.

As they got closer, the brute began to point out multiple land marks few word large rock formations while others were meadows, rivers or mountains that had been lightly damaged by the attack of the chambers, as she had heard.

Once both of them reached the border she stopped, watching Magnus's body language her ears immediately pinned to her dark chocolate cranium. Her golden strands of mane and tail flowed behind her as she willingly strode beside him. "Heaven.." she smiled turning her head towards him as she spoke the words softly with a pleasant tone.

" So, do I continue on my own? Or are you coming?" she whinnied striding forward a few hesitant steps. She hoped he would come with her to her new home, for it was he who convinced her, that perhaps she wasn't prepared for herd life, and perhaps she longed to return to a kingdom. Becca stared at him patiently, pawing the ground with her right front she awaited his answer so they could continue on together, through the gates of heaven.
    [Image: untitled_drawing_by_caninevulpes-d9e6vik.png]

Magnus loved Heaven best in the morning when the light was soft and the land seemed to glow with it, but if he had to pick a second favorite, it would be the late afternoon when the sun was beginning to descend. Heaven took on a warm glow then—washed with the warm colors of the dying day. It was one of the times that he felt most at peace and when the constant agony of his memories seemed to subside.

It was easy during these times to pretend that everything was back to normal.

Of course, he did not share these thoughts exactly with his companion. Instead, he just smiled at her gently. “I’m coming,” he answered easily, nudging her neck lightly before taking a step forward. “I would never just abandon you.” His ears perked as he began to lead her throughout the kingdom. 

“If you would like, you can join one of the castes of the kingdom and begin to climb the ranks.” He paused thoughtfully before continuing again. “There is the diplomats and the soldiers. On either side, you can gain promotions through recruiting in the field, challenging, performing steals, and visiting other kingdoms on diplomatic missions.” He looked at her with a kind smile, “Or you can choose neither and simply live here as one of the residents. The choice is entirely up to you and what you prefer.”

Glancing around the quiet kingdom for a second, he glanced back. “If you want, I can find our King, Mast, and introduce you to him.” Magnus did not often see their monarch, but he knew that the deer-shifting king was not far away at any given moment. No king worth his salt ever was.

MAGNUS

Gingerly she strode forward, she did enjoy his company yet the neck nudging was beginning to draw the line, she entered the gates cautiously as the sun began to set behind the hills causing the sky to flourish in a scarlet pink color. Gently she lowered her head sniffing the ash scented ground cautiously, both dark chocolate ears perched upon her head. " Alright." she added a late response more interested in the aroma of her surroundings than anything else.

" Maybe I will." she spoke softly. Lifting her head the mare allowed herself to quicken her pace a bit uneasy about her new surroundings she flared her nostrils faintly. " Yet, it's not a sure decision." she could rank up and she would enjoy doing so.

She began to relax a bit more getting used to the terrain of the kingdom, swaying her head as she walked slowing down her stride. Her florescent eyes directed there attention towards the sky, it was now a darker pigment of purple slowly turning to the dark navy velvet of the night sky seeming to be punctured with little holes, stars. " I would love to meet your king." she spoke gingerly catching his comment. She had heard the King of the gates had the ability to shift his form into a deer, this ability was completely alien to Becca yet, it was so far that her curiosity could spand, as of how the chambers burned this place down recklessly.

" I'm guessing you rank up for bringing me here?" She broke into the trot so she would be beside him only to break down to the walk. She was curious as of how he would rank up would you need to recruit many horses, or just one in order to obtain a higher rank.

Magnus knew that she would eventually put two and two together, and he laughs lightly. “I’m not sure,” he says quietly, honestly, his gold-flecked eyes finding her own. “Although, to be honest, I don’t recruit for the promotions.” He had held a lot of different positions within kingdoms throughout his life, and he did not hunger for the rankings like some did. It was an acknowledgment of his work, but that was it. He wasn’t interested in furthering his own legacy or leaving his mark on the world. It just wasn’t his desire.

“I recruit for two reasons.” He glances around the kingdom and takes a deep breath. “One, because I like to help people—especially help people find a home and a purpose. It’s always been important to me, and I have found a lot of lost souls in the field who just need direction.” He pauses, a half smile forming, “Not that you were lost, but I digress.” He continues to walk with her, leading her toward the center of the kingdom. “I also recruit because I love this kingdom, and I love to see it full of life and energy.”

Any benefit he gained from it was always an afterthought.

“Mast should be around soon—or another member of the kingdom.” Night was beginning to fall around them, but that did not necessarily mean that Gates would be slumbering soon. There were many souls within it who liked the peace of evening—himself included. “Do you have any other questions?” While they waited, he may as well help explain kingdom living to her as best as he possibly could.

MAGNUS

@[Mast] Anyone else is welcome to join in! :]

I've heard there was a secret chord
    that David played and it pleased the Lord
    but you don't really care for music do you?

Slowly but surely they were waking from their slumber. Like the phoenix rising from the ashes, or winter turning into spring, it was something done without fanfare. It was a barely there change, but something the gray king took note of. Though winter was creeping in on them, there was a gentle hum of noise that was music to his ears. From the horses to the forest creatures, everyone was stirring quietly. It was only a matter of time before they awoke completely, and this time with the wind at their backs.

Dusk was settling around the kingdom, and still the gray king wandered. First through the forest, before finally stepping into the dying light of their small meadow area. Sleep hadn’t been easy for him the past…the past what seemed like forever. Each time he closed his eyes he could see their kingdom in flames, or the desperation in Fiasko’s eyes as she had given herself up to save them all. Worst of all was the memory of himself having done nothing. And so when sleep failed him, he wandered. It was a decent way to wile away the hours, if nothing else. Tonight though, there was a new face to break the usual monotony of his strolls. Magnus, with a new face following him. With a smile he made his way to the pair, his eyes sparkling in a way they seldom did anymore. “Good evening, Magnus.” the king said pleasantly, dipping his head at the buckskin. “I see you have a friend. Care to share a name? I’m Mast, and the pleasure is all mine.” He was genuinely pleased to offer her a home, and spoke it aloud. “Welcome to Heavens Gates.”

M A S T

The Golden Princess
    I'm not a princess, this ain't a fairy tale, I'm not the one you'll sweep off her feet, Lead her up the stairwell This ain't Hollywood, this is a small town, I was a dreamer before you went and let me down, Now it's too late for you and your white horse to come around

Becca stared up at Magnus as he explained how ranking up worked, she did wish to maybe do so someday but, she had not yet consulted or met with the royalty of the kingdom. " No." She spoke softly as she caught sight of another stallion heading there way. Perhaps this was the deer shifting king she heard of yet, she was still unsure.

As they confronted the stallion she quickly studied his frame, if he showed a hostile nature she would retaliate as she did to many foolish stallions who confronted her with little respect. Gently propping one of her hind legs at an angle she placed herself in a relaxed tone. Hearing his name she knew it was familiar this was the king Magnus had spoken of, " I'm Becca." she answered gingerly dipping her head in a greeting." And it's wonderful to finally meet you Mast." she added softly, golden locks of forelock covering one florescent cobalt eye." And Thank you." she paused looking up to the now Navy sky, speckled with small little white dots, stars for just a moment, and placing her attention back onto the stallion in front of her. 

Gently directing Dark chocolate ears in his direction she perked them cautiously, " So, you can shift into a deer?" She was alien to magic and mystical abilities she had never seen it nor heard of it before, and was definitely curious how everything worked. "Sorry, if it's a weird question....I've just never seen magic or mystical abilities before." she didn't want to come off weird to the King, she was just was so curious by the aspect of being near someone with mystical abilities.

becca

image © nathan walker
    Magnus was correct in assuming that it wouldn’t take long for the shifter-King to find them. He glances up in time to see him approaching the duo, and his smile is bright—genuine. It was comforting to know that inside the borders, Heaven still felt as welcoming as ever. It was even more comforting to know that there was a good King leading it. He had worried at first whether or not Mast was the stallion that deserved to wear the crown, as he always worried about the unknown, but as the months had wore on, such concerns had been laid to rest. Something about the shifter reminded him of Bond; that was enough.

He dips his head in greeting, “It is good to see you are still awake, Mast.” It was a good night for it, he thought to himself as he lifted his head to look at the stars beginning to twinkle in the sky—but, then again, the buckskin stallion often thought it was a good night to be awake. If you had to be an insomniac, there were worst places to spend your nights wandering than the gentle beauty of Heaven’s Gates.

Becca’s question brings him back to the present, and he just smiles at her gently. He wasn’t sure if Mast would view the question as intrusive or not, but he had a feeling that the other stallion would be open about his own abilities. It was not often that the gifted horses of Beqanna felt the need to be secretive of what they could do. From what he had seen, they actually enjoyed flexing that muscle. So he just turns toward the king and smiles, a little amused and mostly relaxed, for the first time in who knows how long.

I've heard there was a secret chord
    that David played and it pleased the Lord
    but you don't really care for music do you?

He was thrilled to see so many new faces. With the new faces came hope- hope for a brighter future, hope for change. If they lost hope, then what would they have? Hope was the thing that kept them afloat even when they were taking on water. Hope was the only star in an otherwise dark sky, something to lead them home. Though they were still a small kingdom, there was hope amongst them, and that would be what sustained them. He could see it in all of their faces, though some was buried beneath the bitterness of what had happened to them in the years prior. But it was there nonetheless, and that is what the gray king would cling to.

He smiled at her curiosity, though he wasn’t offended nor taken aback by it. Beqanna was full of oddities, and if she wasn’t native to the lands then it was only natural for her. Even some of the normal horses weren’t normal at all, instead possessing mind reading, or like his own daughter, telepathy. Furthermore, it wasn’t his gift to hoard. It had been given to him by the kingdom, and to be used by him for the kingdom. So he couldn’t tell her no, even if he’d been inclined to do so. Instead he continued smiling, though he closed his eyes in concentration. It didn’t take long, and soon there was a whitetail buck standing where once a gray stallion had been. His antlers were impressive and cloaked in velvet. His fur was a rich, mousey brown, with a white blanket beneath his throat. Large, liquid-brown eyes stood out on his fine face. “Becca, welcome to the Gates.” Though his form had changed, his voice was still the rich velvet baritone that it had always been. He turned his antlered head to the buckskin stallion, that same smile still on his mouth. “I assume you told her before hand what to expect.” he chuckled, rubbing his antlers against his foreleg. “Its natural to be curious. What I can do is mild compared to what others have up their sleeves.” he said, thinking of the raven queen of the Chamber, and of her fire wielders, and his own powerfully magical ancestors. “Some come by it natural, some gain them through the goodness of faeries, and others gain their traits from their loyalty to their kingdom.”

M A S T