• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

the dead are gone, and the living are hungry; draconis, any

the dead are gone, and the living are hungry.

Once again she’s on her own, exploring the Jungle’s dense undergrowth. Her mother has disappeared for the day, off on a whim or on kingdom business, and Lexa is bored and alone. She’s already explored much of what the Jungle has to offer, and today she wants something … new.

But of course, nothing new appears. There are no other children about (the Jungle is sadly lacking in young these days), and the beasts are unusually quiet. So, grumbling to herself, she settles in to a secluded clearing to practice. It’s taking a bit of a leaf out of her mother’s book, but she’s otherwise at a loss for what to do.

She closes her eyes, concentrating. Her senses expand, connecting her to the very molecules of the Earth. It feels so … wonderful. So alive.

She draws the carbon to herself, encasing herself in a thin, black shell. It hardens about her, and yet, stays flexible enough that she can move with ease. She hasn’t perfected it yet, but with practice she knows it could become a very useful tool.

She extends her reach back into the soil, drawing up a black spike of pure carbon. She gasps at the effort of holding both the armour and the spike, and after a few moments, releases both. The carbon crumbles, leaving her covered in dark clumps. She shakes herself clean then leans against the trunk of a thick kapok tree. It’s not good enough yet, but it’s a start.

lexa

(ooc: bah it's terrible, but I'm only just getting used to her)

But the night fades away and gives way to the day

Normally, she stuck to Rhy's side like they were glued together, but today her guardian had encouraged her to go off and explore, and so off the little firebug had gone. Draconis is still taking the sights of her new home in, the brightly colored plants and the wide variety of animals, both friendly and....not so friendly. She was already learning which was which, and was attempting to learn how to avoid those that viewed a little star-blanketed filly as a quick snack. Especially after she had encountered a lone javelina whilst out on an afternoon walk the other day. While they had been equally startled, and both had gone on their way after a brief staredown, (and a nervous display of teeth from the pig) the tusks of the animal were a scary sight to the girl, and so the encounter had stuck itself front and center in her memory bank. So she walks along, keeping her eyes and ears peeled for any animals, including any Amazon sisters.

Draconis liked Rhy very much already, but she was a grownup after all. A filly needed to find friends her own age, if there were any to be found that was. She'd been told that there were one or two other children around, fewer than the Jungle usually boasted of but not a population of solely herself. It's by chance, then, that she stumbles across the clearing that Lexa is practicing in. Blinking a few times before regaining her composure, trying to act as if she wasn't surprised to spot another foal, she trots further in with a friendly smile. "Hello! I'm Draconis, who are you? " She sniffs the air curiously. What was that smell? It wasn't bad....merely different. Her gaze shifts to a small pile of black power not too far from where the other filly stood. Was that the source? She keeps away from it, unsure of what it is, and turns her attention back to the stranger.

Draconis

For what else is the night to do?
    Photograph by Isabel Mansfeld

The undergrowth rustles and Lexa freezes, ears up at attention. Is it a animal? A sister?

Her brown eyes narrow at the undergrowth, trying to pick out the source of movement. She reeeeally hopes it’s not one of the Jungle cats on the hunt …

Oh! A dark horsey head pops out, followed by a little dark body. Lexa’s eyes widen momentarily when she spies the purple swirls and glowing spots on the foal’s rump. How very interesting.

She’s even more interested when she realizes that the child is a girl, and appears to actually be somewhat close to her age. Lexa had thought there weren’t any other children her age in the Jungle. She’s glad to be wrong. “I’m Lexa.”

The girl sniffs at the air and Lexa shuffles awkwardly. It must be the carbon - she’s so used to the smell that she doesn’t even notice it any more. “Oh, sorry. I was just practicing.” She reaches out to carbon, forming it into a solid ball and lifting it into the air as way of explanation. She doesn’t hold on to it for long though, and lets it crumble back into dust. Lexa’s eyes follow the little fragments as they drift slowly back to earth.

Lexa looks back up at Draconis and grins. “Anyway. Do you live here? I didn’t know there were any other kids here. I thought it was just me.” She really hopes the girl isn’t just visiting.

lexa

Uuuugh it's been so long since I posted. D:

But the night fades away and gives way to the day

The black filly swishes her tail, pleased to be making conversation with someone new. "Nice to meet you, Lexa. It's nice to not be the only foal here, isn't it? I do live here, but I haven't for very long. Do you know Rhy? She's my new guardian, and she also happens to be pretty good at playing hide and seek. " She watches with surprise, head tilted, as Lexa raises up the ball of carbon, her head following it as it drops back down to the ground and breaks apart. So, she wasn't the only foal here who had a talent? She wasn't quite sure what the other girl was making, but it seemed cool. "Nothing wrong with practicing. I need more of that myself, do you want to see what I can do? " She waits for Lexa's consent, then aims her head upwards into the air at an angle, hoping to not catch herself or anything else on fire, then breathes hard, trying to make it happen. At first, there's nothing but carbon dioxide and some hiccups on her part, but finally a bit of flame escapes her maw, burning its way out into the air before dissipating. She grins proudly, pleased with her success. Would Lexa think it was as cool as she thought the carbon creating was? She hopes that the two of them will be friends.

Draconis

For what else is the night to do?
    Photograph by Isabel Mansfeld

Lexa eyes the girl for a moment, peering closer at the girl’s fascinating blanket. A part of her wishes that she could be that bright and colourful too - the only thing interesting about her coat are the spots - but she knows that, at least some day, she can add the tattoos of the sisterhood to her coat.

She pulls back, realizing that she’s staring and smiles apologetically. “Yes, I’m glad you found me. I thought I was the only kid in the whole Jungle.” She certainly doesn’t mind being wrong - it’ll be nice to be able to talk to someone other than her flighty mother.

“No I don’t know Rhy. I’ve heard of her though.” Being that the electric mare is their Erinak, Lyris has mentioned her more than once. “What’s she like?” She thinks Rhy must be a pretty impressive mare to have made it to Erinak.

Draconis mentions that she too has a talent and Lexa nods eagerly, curious as to what it might be. She’s confused when the girl simply hiccups, but then suddenly a small flame rushes out of Draconis’ lips and Lexa’s eyes widen in awe. “Woooah!” Firebreathing?! Now that is cool! “Can you make a bigger flame? Is there anything else you can do with it?”

She decides to share a little more herself and her grin widens. “My mother’s been making me practice making armour. I wonder if it would be good enough to protect against your fire …”

Concentrating hard, she pulls the powdered carbon back towards herself, and slowly covers her entire body in. Finally, she solidifies it. She knows it’s hard enough to withstand flying objects (supplied by her mother), but fire? Fire would be a real challenge, and she’s curious to see how it holds up.

lexa