• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I swear it will get easier [Fynnegan, Gates peoples]

you and I both know that the house is haunted
    and you and I both know that the ghost is me

The visit, although pleasant, is underlined with the severity of Beqanna’s political climate, and Magnus would have to be deaf and blind to not know it. He knew that Weir was most likely here because the Dale wanted to get a feel for the other kingdoms, and he knew that they were doing it to gain their bearings. Not that he blamed them. It would be wise for all of the kingdoms to come to terms with what they would do should war finally befall them. Not all would participate, but they would not be able to ignore it.

First, Magnus turns to Fynnegan, and his smile is warm. “They can’t remove them—not completely—but our kingdom’s entity is young. All kingdom’s are, and its power is diminished if it is hurt the way that it was. Who knows how it will behave should trouble stir at the Gates’ border again, but there is concern that it will not be as strong as it could be had it not been attacked at all.” He rolls his scarred shoulders, “Not that we will let such concerns hold us back. We are strong, and we can stand up to a future fight.”

Then, his gold-flecked eyes turn back to Weir. “No need to apologize. It is difficult enough to govern your own kingdom without constantly being drawn away to other kingdoms—friendly or not. We appreciate that you took the time to come see us today.” His blood sings at Weir’s proposal and despite the fact that he does not currently have any sway in the diplomatic caste, he is Lord and feels comfortable talking on behalf of the kingdom. “I am sure we would be agreeable to working alongside the Dale.” At least, Magnus certainly would; he had spent years there fighting for their army. “Perhaps we can arrange for a time for our two Kings to meet and discuss the details after you have returned home?”

Finally, he glances down at his adopted daughter and his smile is brief and sad. “They don’t know any better, little love. Many of them have been taught their entire lives that to destroy is to be powerful and that to be powerful is the most important thing in the world.” He nuzzles her quickly. “They’re wrong.”

With a laugh, he straightens, shaking out the inky darkness of his mane, before winking toward the small stallion in the group. “Would you be surprised if I told you that I’m older then I look?” His body was still in its prime—muscles strong and lean, scars telling a million stories of his past—but his mind was much, much older. Ancient to some, newborn to others. “I believe I am nearing a century soon, although many of those years were lost to me.” Another shrug. “All the same, the name does not ring a bell to me. It was perhaps, before or after my time. Still, I am sure that he was a good man.”

MAGNUS

once general. once lord. once king.

© robert bejil photography
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]

♦ Fynnegan ♦

I guess I don't feel as poorly about upsetting the poor girl, I really must work on my temper. Sometimes I just wish I were normal sized, 9 HH isn't terrible but it is small, which can be annoying. The little one stepped forward to me- instantly becoming older in my eyes. and she says such confident words. I smile at her and dip my head. "An I have learned from you too Litte One, I will work on my temper, tempers are terrible things." Weir is good... I can't even hold a hoof to his ability to cheer up the little Amorette. I mean seriously, Weir still didn't have his ear back! He just continues on allowing her to snicker, and he pays no notice. Oh no, there he goes- they are back. My eyes flash with mock anger when he says he took my ears. I stop, stamp my foot in mock indignation, and hold myself in the most regal of manors. I speak loudly as if don't know my voice is louder than normal, "Weir the Wonderous, I demand, demand I say, that you place my eyes back upon my head. I am Fynnegan the Mighty, and no one, NO ONE steals from from me!" I barely finish my speech before I break into quite the fit of laughter.   

There is is much going on with this visit, most of which I don't feel right commenting on. Who am I to make commentary when I am neither a member of gates of of Dale? My place is to listen I decide, so I nod to Magnus when he answered one of the few questions I asked.  I can't say I fully understand how kingdom magic word But I understand it is tied to the lands. I keep my spot among the my companions, but fall out of the conversation. I walk and listen- as knowledge is never a fools errand. 

Politics... it is an interesting thing, so much tip toeing, and double crossing. But my companions, they seem pretty straight forward. They do it right- straight forward, honest, and clear, no double edged sword hidden behind their backs. I like these people, yes. I like them quite a lot.  They are good, and I feel lucky to know them. I walk, and listen, walk and listen, until I realize Magnus is talking about my father. He didn't know him, but it would have been unlike they would have met- it was a short period of time my father was in his position. "Yes, Yes. A good man, A good man." I smile at Magnus in this, then turn to Weir, "I feel we will learn much more about each other as time passes my friend."

I allow my thoughts to drift a little, I wonder how ma and pa are doing. I will have to visit them after things are more settled here.

» death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily «

ooc- sorry guys Fynn and I were not on the same page tonight.