• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

In another life
    Of all the things that had, or could have happened in Sonnie's life, he figures this is the easiest to understand. Sure, a new land could seem to be foreboding, or intimidating, but the young stallion was ready to face this challenge head on. His adventures had brought him to this place. It seemed to be a mass gathering place, and it was alive with the thrum of conversation. It seemed that everyone here had a goal in mind, something more than to just mingle. He saw, of course, other stallions trying for mares. He assumed to start herds. Why else, after all. So he decided to join in on the fun.
    He stood proudly under the cover of a tree, the light fluttering through the branches bouncing off his coat, extenuating its shine. Sonnie was attractive, and he knew it, and used it to his full advantage when needed. Is he vain? Yes. Does he care? Not really. It got him what he wanted (Most of the time) so he saw no harm in using what he had.
    He let out a soft content sigh as a soft breeze blew passed, flowing over his skin. He decided he may just like it here, depending on how his day went.

you and I both know that the house is haunted
    and you and I both know that the ghost is me

The field was full today—thrumming with life and conversations and the noises of life. Magnus stood on the border of it all, watching with gold-flecked eyes, his heart beating against his chest with foolish hope. This was what they needed. Desperately. They needed this life, and they needed these bodies, and if even a few of them called the Gates home, perhaps they stood a chance. Perhaps they could fight against the Chamber when it came down to it; perhaps they could protect themselves when hell started raining down.

It is then that his eye is drawn to the shine of another buckskin, and he tilts his handsome head that way, considering the way that he stood and the way that he held himself. After several seconds, he made his way toward the other stallion, tucking his wings into his sides, and making the journey silently. The other stallion looked strong—looked proud. Magnus hoped that he had a heart for battle, as well. He needed it.

“Hello,” he greets as he comes to a stop several feet away, nodding his head in greeting. He was not a hard stallion to look at it, but he was certainly not without his blemishes. Scars and puckered flesh ran across Magnus’ coat—one jagged scar running down his cheek. It had been Joelle’s favorite. “My name is Magnus.” A name that once meant something, but was now just a ripple in the river—something that meant nothing to most and even less to souls who were new to the land. Magnus didn’t mind.

“What brings you to the field today?” It was his favorite leading question. Not everyone liked it—after all, it was obvious that they were here to find a home—but he always found the answer illuminating. Some came here for a haven; others came here for a purpose. He just wondered why this stallion did.

MAGNUS

once general. once lord. once king.

© robert bejil photography
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]
    Sonnie's ears perked as the winged stallion approached him. He regarded him with a friendly smile, listening as he introduced himself. Magnus. I't was a strong sounding name that seemed to fit the other. "It's a pleasure, Magnus. I'm Sonnie" he said, bowing his head slightly. Pleasantries were a bit lost on him sometimes. He wasn't sure quite yet if it was a pleasure to meet him. But in favor of politeness, he normally sides with them.
    He tilts his head some at the question. What brought him here? Instinct brought him here he supposed. The path he had chosen in his travels. Or perhaps he could say fate? Or destiny? Or some other nonsensical thing? Though the surface reason was, of course, to finally find a place to settle himself. He'd been traveling far too long. The sound of a more permanent place of residence sounded like an appealing idea.
    "I suppose you could say I've found myself here in search for a place to settle down. I've been traveling on my own for some time, you see, and I've seen that this is the place to come for a fresh start." he explained. He wondered if this Magnus was a herd stallion, or perhaps he belonged to one of the kingdoms he had heard about in snippets and tail ends of conversations.

The answer satisfies him, and his lacerated lips twitch upward into a shadow of a smile. “I can respect that,” he answers in his honey-whiskey tones, nodding to himself. Hadn’t he come here for the same reason once? He had still been spitting the saltwater from his lungs, trying to acquaint himself to life after being dead for decades, and he had found himself here. Magnus had known all about the kingdoms—having lived and fought in four of them—but still he had come here, trying to find a place to settle down, trying to find purpose again. In the end though, he had returned to the Gates. Where she had lived.

“This is indeed a fine place for a fresh start.”

Shifting slightly, he folds his wings tighter and gives the other a crooked smile. “I live at a place called the Gates,” he pauses, gathering his thoughts. “It’s one of the kingdoms here—and it can be a lot of things for a lot of different people. For some, it’s a place to move up the ranks and prove their worth. For others, it is a haven.” His smile is crooked, “For me, it was a place to protect others. Those people who just want to rest; those people who want to work hard for a good kingdom. It’s my responsibility to keep it safe.”

He falls silent for a second, before offering. “Perhaps, for you, it could be a fresh start.”

MAGNUS

Sonnie considered the stallions words carefully as he spoke them, his ears perked at attention. The kingdom Magnus spoke of sounded calm, and peaceful. A haven, as the other had said. He couldn't help but imagine himself in a place like that. Whether it was just for him to find himself. Or to what Magnus said and raise his way through ranks. He figured he had time to figure that out for himself.
    He deliberates with himself for a short moment before nodding.
    "I think it could" he said, humming to himself. "It does sound like quite the place, and sounds like just what I'm looking for." he supposed there were more options he could look at, as the stallion had mentioned that there were other kingdoms, and of course there was always the option of a herd. But there was something drawing him to peruse this option. Whether it was due to Magnus, or something else he was unsure.

Recruiting was not always easy—it changed with the personality and needs of each soul. Some wanted to be persuaded, chased. Others were just grateful for the offer. Magnus tailored each conversation to their needs—after all, he was here to help them start a new chapter in their life. While he hoped that they would all return to the kingdom with him and find home at the Gates, he knew that it was not always the best option for them. In those situations, he did what he could to help them find a place that would better suit their needs. Magnus was not interested in bringing someone to the Gates who did not belong there.

He, however, had a feeling that Sonnie belonged.

“I am happy to hear that,” he says with a shadow of a smile, rolling his scarred shoulders. “If you would like, we can go visit it.” He pauses, motioning toward the border of the field. “You don’t have to agree to live there until you see it. I could show you around, introduce you to some of the other residents of the Gates, and then you could make your decision.” He knew that the choice in home was a weighty one, and he never wanted to rush someone into making the final choice rashly. If they wanted to take their time, he was more than willing to accommodate them. After all, Heaven wasn’t going anywhere soon.

“Or, we can stay here, and I can tell you anything you’d like to know about it.”

MAGNUS