• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I'd rather be a riot than indifferent; herds only
    She hadn’t really planned on coming back here.

She’d been born here sure, raised here, but there’s truly nothing to hold her to this place. Her mother had left it long ago, and so had her father, and as for the kingdom she’d been born to? Well, it’s still here, but it’s never had any pull for her.

She stands at the edge of the field, brown eyes scanning listlessly through the many horses that stand about, talking amongst themselves. She looks ordinary to the eye, a plain bay mare with none of the exciting colours or traits that are so common in today’s Beqanna. She’s not even particularly pretty. Of course, there’s more to her than meets the eye, but she has no intention on revealing that today. It’s her trump card, her ultimate protection. She’s going to keep it under wraps until she needs to.

She takes a step forward, then another, feet carrying her farther out into the field. No one approaches her yet, but she has no doubt that someone will soon. From what she remembers of the field she’ll be seen as fresh meat, and the vultures - the stallions and the recruiters - will soon come sweeping in. No matter how ordinary she might seem.

(OOC: Blah first post as her)
    Passing from under the shade of the forest and into the sun of the field, Hasenel paused, his eyes searching the horses presently there. Having just claimed his first mare, the young prince was ready for another to rule, and perhaps even become queen. Not long passed before the fire stallion noticed a mare on her own alongside the forest edge, several yards away from where he stood.

Pricking his ears, Hasenel flared his nostrils to take in her scent, but found nothing too telling about it. But knowing there had to be more to her than what met his senses, he began to approach, his steps firm and uncautious.

"Hello," he called to her politely. "Why would a pretty mare be on her own?"
    Much as she had expected, it doesn’t take long for someone to appear out of the woodwork. A chestnut stallion suddenly appears out of the trees behind her and, upon noticing her, makes a beeline. He’s confident, but not aggressive, though he’s already beginning to rely on supposed charm.

She flatly ignores the ‘pretty comment’ - it’s disingenuous at best, a flat out lie at worst (she has no illusions about her appearance) - and moves on to his question, which, really, he should be able to figure out the answer to on his own. “I’m here to find a home, as most in the field are.” She feels like adding a question as to his intelligence, but she bites her tongue. He is simply trying to be nice, and it’s not his fault if he’s a bit simple. She could have come across a lot worse. “And why are you here?”
    "I'm here to offer my home, as most stallions do," he retorts, yet remains polite. Although the mare's cynical attitude had become almost immediately apparent, Hasenel possessed a skill for controlling his emotions to a great degree. Getting the best of him simply wasn't that easy.

"My homeland is one of sunlight, water, and great paradise," he says in truth. "But I'm sure you know exactly what you're looking for. I suppose not every one of our kind desires absolute leisure."

Though he doubted the mare would truly be disinterested in what he had to offer, Hasenel was eager to know more of her mind. Perhaps she struggled with unpleasing first impressions and would later be a great addition to his new homeland, but maybe not. Maybe she knew exactly what she was doing, and if she couldn't respect him now... her future in his herd did not look bright.
    She snorts at his reply - at least he’s not a total pushover on the personality front - and a ghost of a smile crosses her face. “How terribly expected of you.” He is perhaps a little touchy - though he remains polite, she can sense the annoyance sitting beneath the surface. He’d expected her to be the average mare in the field, polite, demure, a walking doormat …

Rather unlike herself.

Unfortunately he’s her only option at the moment though - no other stallions have bothered to approach. And she’s kind of getting the impression that he’s wishing he hadn’t approached. Whatever. He’ll have to live with it now. “Well why don’t you lead the way? I’ll give it a chance.” Really, it’s better than sticking around here. And if she truly can’t stand him she can just come back.

Perhaps she’s just being a little harsh though. She’s only just met him after all. Maybe he’s just been put off guard by her more ‘winning’ personality. “I’m Vakarian by the way. What’s your name?”
    Hasenel flared his nostrils as a mild expression of his growing displeasure with the mare. Why she seemed to have a general dislike of him despite his generous offer was unknown, and he was uncertain as to whether or not he wanted to figure out what lay beneath her surface. He didn't expect every mare he approached to want to come with him, a total stranger, but perhaps he did assume they'd express their feelings with a little more tact.

He had been born into and raised as royalty, and there were few times he did not act like it. But when she suddenly agreed to his offer and introduced herself as Vakarian, the fire stallion decided he would take her, but she would have to agree to his conditions. 

"I am Hasenel,"
    he replied, his former politeness slipping into a chilling tone. "And if you choose to come with me, you cannot turn back. I do not waste time on disappearing mares, and once we're there, in my domain, I expect to see an improvement in your attitude. I would hate to have to make you respect me."

The stallion, his head held high, looked down on Vakarian as he waited for an answer. She had mistaken his kindness for weakness, but she had only begun to see another side of him, the side of a ruler with high expectations and a willingness to make others obey them.
    PHAEDRUS
    The cat growls in the tall grasses nearby, a rumbling menace, with yellow eyes sliced into slits. Black tassels flick around as she crouches, tail whipping sharply in the golden grasses. Her coat blending and melding with the background.
    He had only recently been introduced to the spirit. Still completely undecided as to what to make of her. He growls out to her thinking that it was only a mangy mouse that she must be after. Her fangs glisten with her snarl. His wings stretch out filling the space around him with the enormous black feathers that it took to lift his draftly body. Its then that he overhears the last comment from the other stallion.
    Today was not the day to be messing with him, keeping up with this kitten of a bobcat had been frustrating enough. She was curious about his world, and wanted to explore everything that she could. You cut it out too Dude He growls at the male. Make a woman respect him. He snorts that this. How insulting. He nods to the woman greeting her with the arch of his wing in a slight bow. I’m Phaedrus, seems Sheba has taken a liking to you. The cat waltzing right up to the other female she sits in front of her proudly Is he bothering you sweety? She purrs out claws flexing with eager anticipation.

!
    i'll carry this flag, to the grave if i must
    Oh he didn’t like that much did he. She lets out a clipped laugh at the expression on his face - the fool seems to have taken it so personally - and is about to step forward to follow him when the chestnut stallion decides to open his mouth.

Rage boils up inside her at the implied threat and the small smile he had managed to produce vanishes to be replaced by a thin, angry line. She does not appreciate threats and she certainly will not wilt beneath them like the mares he’s clearly used to dealing with. “Oh, you’ll make me respect you, will you?” Her voice is low, with a dangerous edge that he will no doubt miss. “Sorry to say, but I’ve changed my mind. Any stallion that thinks respect is gained through threats is not worthy of my company.” She takes a step towards him, head lowered and ears pinned back. “Besides, I think you’d have a hard time making me do anything.” She’d been keeping it under wraps, not wanting to be flashy, but an asshole like this calls for a bit of showing off. She concentrates for one brief moment, and her entire body changes. It creeps over her almost like a sickness, slinking along her body and changing her reddish coat and dark skin to a pure diamond armour. When she’s done, a horse of red-tinted diamond (red-tinted because only her outsides change, not her insides) stands in the grass of the field. Let him try and push her around now.

She’s startled out of her anger when a small growl cuts through the air. Her eyes now diamond eyes flit about, prey instinct taking over. She steps back, preparing to flee as a small wildcat pops out of the grass, but pauses as the creature is followed by a tall black and blue winged stallion who immediately challenges Hasenel. “Sheba …?” But he seems to be talking about the little wildcat. In her surprise, her armour falls away, leaving her back in her plain bay form. “I’m Va- …” Her voice cuts off with a squeak as the wildcat walks right up to her, opens its mouth and speaks. Vakarian stands with her mouth hanging open for a moment, before shaking her head in a failed attempt to regather her wits. “You … you can talk!”
    This mare seemed able to continue to shock him. Never had Hasenel seen such defiance, and he listened to the mare refuse him yet again, airing her doubts as to the power he could hold over her. But he knew, as any stallion did, that power is better spent protecting what is already claimed, and after flattening his ears, Hasenel decided she simply wasn't worth it.

"Good-day," he replies shortly, intending to leave before Vakarian took on a sudden change before his eyes, one unlike he'd ever seen. Her coat disappeared as a harder shell gradually took over, covering her body and causing him to freeze with wonder.

What the...?

But his thoughts were broken by the arrival of another stallion, who had also immediately decided to disprove of him. The new stallion was also unlike anything he'd ever seen, and what was more, he seemed to have a predator as an ally.

I've had enough of this freakshow...

"She's all yours," Hasenel tells the new stallion, before flicking his tail and cantering into the forest.
    PHAEDRUS
    The one and only The cats fanged grin taking a dip with the nod of her head. Her claws flexing, and jowls watering. The young stallion looked like a good canidate for a hunt, young, fresh, the thrill of the spirit and the delicious tender meat he could provide. As he begins a retort she satisfies herself with a spitting hiss in his direction not bothering to turn more than her head towards him. Well, yes I can... Dale magic and all. Will do that to some creatures I suppose Sheba couldn't help but take a second to ponder on this. Why would a talking bobcat be any different then that of a talking horse... then agian she didn't know much about these things and it was probably better left up to the fairies rather then her brain to headache over.

His lips twitch as an idea forms. feathers rankled he extends the extra apendages out further beating against the air in frustration. The cat lets out a loud spitting hiss towards the male right before he decides to take of. He is just about to take flight and herd the stallion away from the woman when he decides to do that on his own. But the temption is to great for him to resist. Snaking out his neck after the male. His teeth rake against the boy's hindquarters when he gets to be about two horse lengths away. Drawing his neck back into proportion he shakes out his blue mane grunting in greeting towards the woman. Is there anything else that you could use assistance with? His words though no longer growling still hold some of the begrudging rumble in still in his throat.
    i'll carry this flag, to the grave if i must