• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

brother, let me be your shelter | ianto

BROTHER, LET ME BE YOUR FORTRESS, WHEN THE NIGHT WINDS ARE DRIVING ON.
    I CAN BE THE ONE TO LIGHT YOUR WAY; I WILL BRING YOU HOME.

The bare edges of autumn were beginning to give way to the icy embrace of winter, which was dawning upon the permafrost-encased terrain yet again. The evening had been saturated with a thick icy chill that only their frigid climate obtained, enveloping every last remaining living plant in a layer of frost, obliterating any semblance of life that still remained at their roots. 

Yet, as uncomfortable and bristling as it was, Offspring felt comfort in the onslaught of winter's approach. He savored the ice and snow and reveled in its beauty, its caress and its biting numbness. He, himself, was now the essence of ice - constantly covered in miniature icicles that seep from his pores; always covered in a thin layer of frost over his scarred obsidian pelt. Ice was as much a part of him as the land itself was, and though he suspected it would one day fade away from him, it drew him to languish in its soothing frigidity as long as he would be able to.

Now, as the bleak rays of sunlight begins to peek over the horizon and slice through the quiet, frozen clutches of dusk, a new day arrives and the frost covering the dried brush and soil glisten brightly beneath its light. Soon, the land comes alive with movement, stirring as youth begin to lope across its icy terrain with boundless energy, shifting as his Brothers and their many females began to socialize and flex their stiff muscles beneath the pale morning light.

A new day has come, but as the blackened King observes those across the flatland, something curious catches his dark crimson gaze. He observes as it scurries across the still dusty plain; stark white against the backdrop (the first layer of snow has not yet fallen, but the heavy, looming clouds overhead threaten it will come soon). He descends from his perch, thick muscles rippling beneath his marred coat as he lumbers along the ice wall, his flesh encasing itself in a thicker layer of frost as he holds himself so close to the land's icy boundary line. He follows this fleeting creature, knowing very well that it was not any simple arctic fox - no, it was a very particular arctic fox - one that had been evading company for some time. 

He follows quietly, his hefty weight pressing deep prints into the moist soil atop the permafrost, but he is careful not to step directly over any dried twigs or twine. He pauses as the delicate, graceful creature morphs into something entirely equine, a dun pintaloosa he remembered from many, many decades ago. Ianto had been King for some time, this he knew - though he himself had been a wanderer for years, he had kept up with the politics of the many lands - but had been quiet since, and now, there was ample opportunity to learn more of the former King.

Gently, he clears his throat - a deep, warm baritone rumbling out from chest, his dark red eyes set on the winged stallion before him with a faint smirk tugging at the corner of his whiskered lips.

"Ianto, you are very difficult to track - but I am glad to finally have the opportunity to meet you face to face. My name is Offspring, but you might already know that."

OFFSPRING

the ice king of the tundra

Besides Emelia he had little time for the others. She was his light, his North star. He would do anything for his beauty. As for the rest of his brothers, well, he was not entirely sure if he cared enough or not yet. The long idle days with Em were great for his soul, for hers. They cured his aching heart and restless spirit. Being with her was coming home. So when he did wander away, he would shift or take to the high north with it's battering winds and snow no matter how hot the summer was.

Today he was in fox form, scurrying as he learned what he could from where he could. He tried to stay up in the politics of it all, but so much had happened while he was gone that he couldn't make heads or tail of most of it. He suspected it was the same as it always had been. Kings and Queens come and go, he was living proof of that.

Others rarely seemed to think that an animal was anything more than another animal, which was stupid. With the magic running rampart in the lands of Beqanna, he was always wondering if that gull or that wolf or bear or something were other horses of Beqanna spying on the kingdoms.

He shifts back into his horse form, his breath releasing in a cloud of white as he sighs and looks at the place he called home. The morning was getting chilly, more so every day and his coat was growing in thick hiding his scars for becoming a brother and then being a king. The only ones still prominent were the claw marks over his eyes and they wrinkled when he turned and narrowed his eyes at the intruder.

Well, the stallion intruding on his quiet time. Ianto seems to have become some what a crochety old man. His ears perk and his body shifts around so his neck isn't craned at an awkward angle the whole conversation. And Ianto knows the name but to finally put a face to it eased his conscience a little bit. A small smile curls his lips. "Indeed."

His voice was no longer rough from disuse. "Well Offspring, it is nice to finally put a name to a face. I had no idea you'd be so....towering." At 17 hands Ianto wasn't a tiny thing, so for Ianto to still have to look up a little made him amused. "What can I do for you Brother?" And while he might not be King any longer, he could still play the Kingdom game. Perhaps even this conversation with Offspring would help jump start his enthusiasm.

Ianto

Nothing burns like the cold.