• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

this is the pounding of a midnight heart; Ea & Sela
    All too quickly, the sweet grasses of summer become wilted under winter’s merciless march.

He finds comfort in the cycle of life and death that morphs the land every year. Watching the deer, once fattened on the lush grass of spring, grow slimmer and more flighty in their search for food. Seeing the tall, vivid trees shed their cover and grow dimmer with each passing day. Losing count of the different species of birds because there are fewer to count as the cold begins to creep in and they simultaneously fly out. He enjoys the process in reverse, as well, as spring returns to the Dale. But sometimes, he’s not entirely certain which side of the coin he revels in more.

Light or dark? Life or death?

The conflicted stallion passes by the slowing river with his mind still in a tangle. Most years, he would welcome the silence of snow falling on the slopes. For a while, the absence of both birdsong and the buzz of insects would be like a balm to his overworked senses. But now, he has a family to worry about. Now, his little girl is always at the forefront of his thoughts. She is still too young to fully understand the harsh reality of a Dalean winter. And Ea is much the same, really. Growing up in one of the warmest places in Beqanna will certainly not be a boon for the once-princess now-queen.

His metallic gold gaze spots the two lingering on the horizon. The browning trees behind them are the perfect back-drop to reveal their shared silver points. What a beautiful pair, he thinks to himself, a smile breaking like dawn across his face. And they’re both mine. The ghost-man draws close to mother and daughter, ears swiveling to catch any of the conversation they’d been having before. Sela’s voice is once sound he isn’t sure he could live without; certainly, he would never want to try.

“Ladies,” he says, dropping his head in a deep bow before raising it slightly to Sela’s level. “How are you, my girl? As smart and beautiful as always, I see. And getting bigger every day. That won’t do.” Ram rests his head gently on top of her’s as if he could stop her growth by doing so. He laughs lightly and withdraws. “And how about you, my queen?” There is still a barrier between he and Ea that is entirely of her construction. He’s relinquished all of his tethers when it comes to the silver-dipped mare; he loves her, but it is hard to show affection to a woman of steel. Still, he is willing to try. “How have you taken to the Dale?” He moves in beside her, pressing his shoulder to her’s, careful to keep Sela included in the circle. It isn’t too much, he hopes – he relishes the feel of her skin against his.

R A M I E L
    this is a man pulling at his iron chains

Sela has been a wonderful light in her life. Ea had never expected to love children – she had always found others’ children to be simply an annoyance, another thing to worry about. Ea had always been self-involved – from an early age, her mother told Ea that she was important, the most important, and of course she believed it wholeheartedly. Even in her relationship with Ramiel, she was guarded, protecting herself. But Sela had changed her life. She was just like Ea and just like Ramiel, all at once. She was almost a yearling, now, and Ea had begun to let her wander. She was protective of her daughter in a way Scorch hadn’t been with her. Scorch had begun Ea’s training early – taught her how to speak, how to walk, how to channel her powers – but Ea wouldn’t do the same to her daughter.

The past few winters in the Dale have been difficult for her. She had grown up in the unbearable heat and humidity of the Jungle, where the winters had been mild. “Sela, Sela,” she calls to the young silver-girl, “not too far. It’s too cold.” But the young girl continues on, determined to keep playing in the snow, despite being freezing. “I’M OKAY MOM THIS IS FINE!” She yells back to Ea as she lies down in the thin layer of snow. She begins to flail, in some attempt to make a snow angel, and then gets up again to survey her art. She is less impressed than expected.

Sela trots back to her shivering mother, shaking the snow off her thick coat as she comes to a stop next to Ea. “Thank you,” Ea says, softly, nudging Sela closer. Then, she sees her gray ghost-king approaching them, and her heart flutters. An embarrassing automatic reaction for Ea.

“Hello, love,” she says quietly, stiffly, still uncomfortable with affection. She loves him – touches him, sleeps next to him – and yet, she is still not sure she trusts him. She isn’t sure how she could trust anyone else with her own well-being.

“DAD I’M ALMOST A WHOLE YEAR OLD!” Sela yells – her natural state is loud. Ea smiles as Ram presses in closer. She noticeably relaxes against his side. “You know I like it here,” she pauses, “it’s just different.” She falls silent, not elaborating.

“I was thinking Sela and I might drink from the pool,” she says, moving away from his side momentarily to look at him. She knew of his vultures, knew that the pool would reveal her soul to him as long as she was truly loyal to the Dale. Ea couldn’t be soft for him like she knew he wanted her to be, but perhaps this would be enough for him. Perhaps it would be enough to show that she, too, loved him and would be loyal.

ea

now you're staring at a queen.

Her hesitation is like a real, breathing thing that pushes itself between the two of them.

It had never fazed him before, but those were different times. Before, he’d had his head in the clouds when it came to the silver-touched girl of the jungle. She’d been something he thought he might be able to sculpt to suit his own wishes and desires. She’d been iron, still, but he was naïve enough to think the heat of his love could soften and shape her. Perhaps Ramiel had been a fool – maybe it was only a reflection of his too few years – but when it comes to Ea now, he is at least a reformed fool.

She will never be supple; he will always love her (and the beast she keeps at her side for protection).

And with their mutual understanding, they will be able to have moments like this. She leans into him and it is enough to quell the disquiet in his mind, the singular note of undesirability ringing between his ears. He certainly desires her. He shivers, slightly, when she moves beside him, when she calls him ‘love.’ For a moment, he thinks he can undo her still (he thinks, too, that there will be another sibling for Sela come spring). But a loud voice reminds him that here is neither the time nor place to try.

The filly is so like her mother in so many ways, but he is not sure where the volume comes from. He almost tells her that she’ll keep the birds away come spring, as loud as she is, but he bites his tongue; he won’t ever be the one to execute her exuberance. Instead, the ghost-king shakes his head and smiles. “They only fly by faster every year, Sela. Make the most of each of them.” He imagines her eyes will roll in a few seconds, but he hopes the anecdote will sink in in the time before. Being raised by an angel was sure to have its downsides for all of Ramiel’s offspring – inspiring yet exhausting clichés are only the first.

“I am glad,” he turns back to Ea, noticing both her smile and the way her words seem to fall away too quickly. As if she doesn’t want him to pick up the pieces of an unfinished sentence, as if her happiness is another layer she’s put up to raise his own. He doesn’t know what else he can give her, though he racks his brain in the span of a heartbeat. He’s put her next to him, made her a queen and mother, made her the tentative focus of his affections – what else is there? If it is the jungle she desires most of all, he would give it to her no questions asked. They can always see each other…can make it work, somehow.

But then she says she wants to stay.

Not outright (because that would be a weakness to her), but by what she will do. Ramiel lights up when she mentions drinking from the pool. Because there is only so much he can do to make her a part of the Dale. He can put a crown on her head and call the people to her side, but he cannot completely integrate her without her doing so herself. “I think that is a marvelous idea.” The grey looks at Sela, real joy twisting his lips into a smile. Finally, they will both be truly of the Dale. “I think a whole year is plenty of time to wait to drink from the pool. Do you want to go with your mother?” They have explained the implications to Sela before, but he wonders if she is ready or not. As her mother, Ea will know best and he will defer to whatever decision she makes.

R A M I E L
    this is a man pulling at his iron chains
    I'm sorry I'm the WORST and have taken forever but I'm going to make a new thread for them post-baby/raid/Gail so we can move along the drama, but I just wanted to wrap up: Ea softens a bit, happy Ram wants her to be a real part of the kingdom, they both drink from the pool - Ea gets a tiny baby fox and Sela an otter - love, etc etc.