• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I'll be the light that guides you home(seeking a kingdom)
     photo lanternheader.jpg

In the umbral gloom of twilight, a strange creature cantered over the crest of a hill and into the Field proper.  Her baroque body was black as the coming night, the coat glistening back the icy color of the emerging stars.  Though only a yearling, she shows the promise of being a large horse.  Kladruby and Friesian lines have combined to make a nimble, if heavy bodied horse with a fluttering mane and tail.  Neck arching as she moves into a gallop, the long forelock flies away from her face to reveal a wide purple blaze that glows faintly in the gloom. 

When she reaches near the center of the massive crossroads, her large limbs slow and she comes to a stop, snorting out a plume in the chill of the evening air.  Mist crept down from the Valley and coated the grass with a thin layer of amorphous white tendrils.  A thrill went through Lantern's body as she considered that they were like the grasping fingers of the dead.  Rather than frightened, she was intrigued and began lifting her heavy, feathered hooves only to drop them into the gathering mist.  As each hard hoof struck the damp grass, the mist would flee from her before swirling back into place, making her squeal with delight.  A teenager of sorts, she felt invincible as she called out into the darkness, "Come out, come out, wherever you are!"

Now she must only wait and see who or what might come.  Perhaps ghosts with tattered hides, or imps and demons, or maybe just another nocturnal horse with a spirit of adventure to match her own.  Her heart thudded in her breast as she gazed into the full dark of night, the sliver of moon reflected in her black eyes.

Do you believe you're missin' out?
    That everything good is happening somewhere else?

The night has become one of my close friends ever since my return to the Chamber. Though a gentleman through and through, some of the sinister ways of the Chamber have rubbed off on me. I prefer the moon to the sun, the pine forests to the chaos of the Jungle, the mist to the clarity. Of course, those other things still maintain a special place in my heart, but as of these days, my fancies have shifted.

This in particular is the reason why I canter to the field beneath the falling sun. And falling it is, gleaming against the gold of my buckskin coat. Its warmth is welcome, for my short Arabian fur does little in the ways of protection. Alas, I have always been a vain fellow, preferring looks over comfort. Maybe that’s why the war caste has never been to my fancy.

When my shapely hooves strike the field’s grasses, the silver moon has mounted the sky, claiming it as its own. Gazing at it for a moment through bright amber eyes, I admire its beauty. Away in the Chamber, it can be hard to spot amongst the dense pines. This is yet another reason I come now, and not during the day.

A boisterous call disturbs my little moment, though I’ve no objections. Smirking at the courage I hear in the feminine voice, I strike out towards it, tail and neck arching as I trot. Before long I am halted before the well-built black vixen who glows purple, my half-smile charismatic, if not a bit rascally. She has asked for it, after all. And though a gentleman, I am also a Chamberling – this can give for some very interesting dynamic in my life.

”Where I come from is not just ‘wherever,’ miss.” A soft breeze brushes my forelock from my amber gaze. ”It is called the Chamber.” Stepping closer roguishly, my smile grows into an incredibly rare grin, though it is one of slight malice. Rogue looks good on me; it feels good on me. ”And I am called Kavi, Govorner of the Chamber.” I speak this with my mouth so close to her own that I can smell her breath, but in the next moment, I am leaning back, my expression cooler, eyes glinting. ”What are you called, besides exotic?”

KAVI
    Kagerou x Rhaego
     photo lanternheader.jpg

Addicted to the dark things, the different things, the spooky things, Lantern was still not disappointed when it wasn't a ghost that harkened her call, or some other horror.  Rather, a thrill goes through the young, robust mare as a figure appears from the mist, his coat as golden as hers is black and her eyes grow wide and glisten like onyx marbles.  His grin disarms her, if she'd ever been armed to begin with.  Youth deadened her sense of mortality and she easily fell into the folly of feeling alive and invincible.  His roguish good looks make her swoon and as he speaks it's clear that she's caught; hook, line, and sinker by him.  What little danger she understood only made him more interesting to her, how shocking and naughty to be meeting a man by moonlight!

Clearly trying her best to be alluring, though it's much the look that a girl would practice in the mirror(and Lantern often admires herself in still pools), she bats her lashes, "Ooh, exotic?  How sweet.  I'm called Lantern."  She gave a trill of a laugh and tilted her head so that the inky locks fell away from her face to once again show off the glowing blaze in a way that was clearly practiced, "For my glow, of course."  Her face has moved nearer as his retreated, as if she were following the smell of his breath like a hound.  "The Chamber?  Sounds...  stuffy?"

Though her words were disparaging, she was clearly trying to hold back her interest.  Best try not to look too eager?  The filly was transparent, even as she took a demure step back, feigning dismissal.  "And a Governor too?  That sounds boring."  Though in reality, he must be someone important!  All the more alluring for the girl and she unconsciously stepped closer.  "Still, tell me more about this Chamber, Governor."

so you wanna play with magic?
    Ghost, imp, demon – Camrynn can be any of these things, or all of them (at once). But tonight she is not. Tonight she is simply herself, a beautiful black mare, her mane, tail, and coat glittering in the moonlight.

They are not dissimilar, Camrynn thinks as she regards the black mare from the comfort of the Deserts. She can watch the girl easily, peering down as though she's lodged between the clouds, an easy thought all it takes to keep a watch on the youngster as she canters into the field. It is a bold thing to move so quickly at night, even if you can light your way, and Camrynn is intrigued. Within a heartbeat she is watching Lantern's movements from a shadowed overlook into the field.

She tries to make it a habit not to suddenly appear next to recruits, at least for the most part. Far better to approach them normally, to make sure they feel comfortable, rather than to surprise them. And so she follows the other black mare's trail, slipping through the twilight like a graceful shadow, black silk sewn onto blacker silk.

Camrynn is not the first one there, but she doesn't have to be. She melts out of the shadows when Kavi is already present, already talking to the mare about his home. The moon slides out from behind a cloud and the silvery light catches Camrynn in an almost ethereal way. Her black coat shines almost silver, and her eyes slowly turn a brilliant silver to match. She looks the picture of beauty under the night sky, and her smile is soft.

"I can't tell you about the Chamber, but I can give you options." her voice is pleasant, smooth like silk, and warm like friendship. She smiles at the pair of them, dipping her head in the smallest of nods to each. "I hope you'll pardon my interruption." she speaks to both again, politely, diplomatically – but at the same time, with no intention of leaving just so that Kavi can take the recruit without even having to try for it. "I'm Camrynn, from the Deserts. A pleasure to meet you Lantern." she pauses. "I'm happy to tell you of my Kingdom, but I think it's only fair that I let Kavi finish first, as I so rudely interrupted before he could even say a word."
    CAMRYNN
    co-queen of the deserts, magical, mother of badassery
    Do you believe you're missin' out?
    That everything good is happening somewhere else?

It takes all the power within me not to slip out of my roguish mask and chuckle as sweetly as I am able when she swoons. Her youth is both the sword she holds and the sword thrust between her ribs, but alas, I am no devil, only the devil’s younger brother. In fact, I happen to be the most gentlemanly horse out there… Just not tonight. You must allow me this one night to play the rogue, for by the looks of this mare’s attempts at being alluring, it is certainly working to my advantage.

“Lantern…” I murmur emphatically, gazing at her with a dangerously quirked eyebrow. As her laugh trills through the night, I smirk coolly, leaning my weight to one side, like a senior crossing his arms and leaning against the wall just for you, my dear Lantern. How sweet the attention must feel. “Of course,” I agree, dropping my gaze to her hooves before slowly, agonizingly, teasingly drawing it all the way back up to that very same glow. Oh, how all those years of flirting endlessly have paid off.

Her elegant head has followed mine, her breath continuously sweet upon my tongue. Our closeness causes a pinch of guilt in my stomach, but I steel myself. If I do manage to slip this teenager into the Chamber, the flirtations will certainly end. I will always be true to Pomona, but I am of the Chamber, and I will pull whatever strings to serve Her, even the ones most forbidden. Smirking darkly, I lip the bridge of her nose just as she slips away from me, daring her to just try and escape me.

“Join me and find out, Lantern.” I purr, watching her attempt to regain some composure with a humoured smirk. Youth. She really is rather beautiful, I do admit, and I do not at all dislike her attempts at being alluring. “And I promise, you will find me the least bit boring…” The light-hearted part of me wants to wink, but instead I lay my heavy gaze upon her, watching her squirm under the suggestiveness of my phrase. How… bad of me.

“I would be happier to show you the Chamber,” I remark with a shift of my eyes, as though disappointed in her lack of want to come run away with me. When I return my eyes to hers, it is with a fire in their amber depths. “Or to show you off,” It is but a whisper, dark and sultry and tempting. It is the reverse of who I am known to be, but who I am known to be is not truly who I am.

Not always.

My dark-lined mouth has opened once more when a sickeningly feminine voice appears beside me. Closing my jaw with a click, I switch my weight to the other side, placing myself closer to Lantern and further from Camrynn. In light of my roguish demeanor, I do not greet the Queen or even dip my head to her. The Chamber bows to no one, not even the Governor. And especially not when they interrupt.

“Yes…” I say with a last lingering look at Camrynn as she allows me to speak again, as though I couldn’t have if she hadn’t. Wisps of a smirk tickle my lips as I turn my gaze to Lantern, expectancy in my eyes. “As I was saying, my exotic girl, would you do me the… pleasure… of joining me to the Chamber?” And oh, how she will say yes, if only Camrynn has not distracted her attention too gravely.

KAVI
    Kagerou x Rhaego