• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  oh, endless night [any]

you and I both know that the house is haunted
    and you and I both know that the ghost is me

Home.

He supposes that this is home, although it does not feel it.

After all, it was not the home of his blood.

That would be the Jungle with all of the twisting vines and deep-rooted secrets. That would be the canopy of twisting trunks with crying birds and screaming cats. It would be the mid-day darkness where he learned to run blind, sweat burning his eyes and humid air searing his chest. He had spent his youth there with the female warriors and all of their cunning—learning from their ferocity. It had birthed in him a great respect for the gender and buried a passion for war in his veins. It was the root of all that he was and would ever be.

It was not even the home of his true nature.

That would be the Chamber where his family ties ran like tangled roots beneath him. It would be where he served as Lord amongst the shadow and the fog, forever in the looming shadow of his father and forever caught in the pulse of the buried heart. It was where he learned the true power of the darkness that rang through his mind, the pull of the murderous streak in his heart, the seductive pull of death.

Nor was it was not the home of his rage.

That would be the Dale where he had given of his sword and his muscle and his grit. Where he reared up in the army and rallied next to their dark magic Queen against the poison of their day. That would be where he let himself forget all that he had lost. It would be where he found comfort with his warrior-sister and where he found himself once more, pulling himself up from the ground—resurrecting himself once more.

This was none of those.

This was, instead, the home of her.

It was the tranquil, sleepy land where he felt his skin pulled too tight. It was where he had lied through golden syrup afternoons with his head lolled across her back, jaw against her sun-warmed flesh. It was where he pretended he could be the white knight they all knew he would never be. It was where he wore the mantle of general and then king, the crown never quite sitting right upon his poisoned skull.

It was where he shed the lies.

Destroyed his family.

Returned. Returned again. Returned evermore.

It was where he returned now.

His pace is slow as he walks to the border, scarred mouth pulled into a frown that paints his expression dark. He does not need to see the tree to know that the magic had once again seeped from the land. He could only guess at what had caused the tide to ebb. Taking a deep breath, steeling himself for this homecoming, he does not let himself slow. He had failed, again. Broken oaths, forsaken promises.

That he had no say in the matter, had been pulled from this reality against his will, did not matter.

He should have fought harder to say. Should have convinced the whispers to let him stay. He had not been able to break the chains of that prison and had left Heaven alone in his wake.

He did not deserve to come back and serve her again, but, then again, he had never deserved it. He came back not because he wanted to or because he entertained misplaced fantasies of belonging; he came back simply because it was what he was destined to do. It was Atlas’ burden that he was forever to carry. It was her home, and he was chained to it. So he straightens his shoulders, sets his jaw, and walks into the kingdom, gold-flecked eyes washing over the landscape and searching for a familiar face—for anyone.

For the life that must still live here.

MAGNUS

once general. once lord. once king.

© robert bejil photography
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]
    ZEIK
    the way a falcon shook down on me, the dust of snow from a hemlock tree
    The grey falcon is silent, his slim body perched upon one of the many nimble branches of the mother tree. After the warning he had remained there for most of his time, guarding it. Protecting it from any means of danger or harm. His time did linger with Felinae but rarely did he see the elegant blue bird aloft. 

Talons clasped around the bark gently, as his optics searched the horizon for possible threats. Only to find a rather familiar figure entering Heavens bounds. His mandible emitted a deep screech, as his immense wingspan was put to display for a brief moment before he took off. Frost fell from his once encrusted feathers as the frigid wind licked at his nape. His beak released one last screech before he shifted before the buckskin stallion. 

Returning to his equine form Zeik dipped his head. "Hard times." His rough time maliced vocals ring into the bleak air. Rolling his ashen grey shoulders the stallion continues, "I'm Zeik." He paused I've seen you around before. But never got a chance to ask your name." His voice is husky, something he gets from allowing a screech to be released while in his falcon form. His appendages drew him a few steps towards the golden stag.

It's so short Agghhh! I wanted to get something up for you... Since he didn't get much of a welcoming committee on his return.

I'm so excited, delighted. I won't deny it nor fight it.

Once Magnus had had wings. It was a winged Magnus that she had known, but the loss of his wings hadn’t really changed anything about him. Yes, the physical appearance was different and neither would he be able to fly, but he still gave off the same feeling. Felinae is eager to greet him and welcome him back, as he had done so much for her and Minette. There is a pang in her heart when she is once again remembered of her gray friend, who had disappeared just like Magnus had done. But those sad thoughts are pushed away and she almost rushes herself towards the golden stallion.

However, it is Zeik that beats her to it. She is in her horse form this time, trotting towards the two males. She nickers to both of them, ears perched forward and a soft smile playing with the corners of her lips. ”Zeik” she breathes, offering her nose to the blue roan stallion. It is then that she turns to Magnus, her smile even growing wider. ”Long time no see, but I’m glad that you’re back. You are, right?” She genuinely means it and she truly hopes that he’s back, that he was there to help the Gates again. Because she surely did need him.

When she turns to look at Zeik again the cobalt blue mare has an almost mischievous twinkle in her eyes. ”Zeik, let me introduce you to Magnus” she pauses as her gaze travels towards the golden stallion. ”He’s the one that saved me, Minette and Besra from Gryffen.” With that said Magnus had also been the one that had been the reason for her to join the Gates. Not only did it provide a safe home for her newborn daughter, Felinae had also wanted to repay the Gates for what she had offered her.

felinae

@CL:
    Felinae once lived with Zeik in a herd, but she got stolen by Gryffen. It was due to Magnus (who wanted to safe Gryffen's other herd mare Minette) that Feli could escape the Mourning Mountains. Besra (Zeik and Feli's first daughter) was born in the Mountains and was brought along to the Gates.
    [Image: felinae_zpsxzrcory8.gif]

we carry these things inside that no one else can see
    they hold us down like anchors; they drown us out at sea

Magnus did not have to wait long for someone to join him. He lifted his heavy-jawed head to see the blue roan approach him. “Indeed,” he replied carefully, looking out toward the rest of the kingdom—most of which slumbered. “But the Gates have seen worse times and have always risen above it. The kingdom simply needs attention and a little sweat.” And bloodshed from time to time, although Magnus does not say that just yet. Such necessities did not always make for good conversation.

“I cannot say that I’ve seen you before, but it is a pleasure all the same, Zeik.”

His attention, however, was quickly diverted when the mare joined the group. “Felinae!” he cried, taking a quick leap forward so that he could bump his nose against her in greeting. “It does my heart good to see you again.” Stepping backward, he took a second to study her, assuaging any fears he may have carried since his return regarding her well-being. “It brings me even more pleasure to know that you are doing well while still calling the Gates home. What a lucky kingdom she is to have captured your heart.”

As Felinae explains the situation to Zeik, he falls silent, but cannot stop himself from a gaze that wanders hopefully to the rest of the kingdom. As if Minette would somehow appear with his child in tow. When Felinae falls quiet again, he looks back toward her, slightly more somber. “You guys did a very good job of saving yourselves. I was merely there as backup.” He waits a beat before asking because he could not help himself. “Have you perchance seen Minette? I haven’t caught wind of her since my return…”

His voice trailed off and his lips pressed thin together, worry etched into his handsome features. But he doesn’t let his fear bring down the mood of the reunion, instead tucking it into the corner of his heart to think on later. “And, yes. Indeed. I have returned.” From what, he could not say—did not say. They would not believe him even if he did. He wasn’t even sure that he believed it and he was the one who had lived through it. Looking back out to the kingdom, he gave a roguish smile with all of the optimism of a man rolling up his sleeves to greet a new day. “It looks like it is time to get to work.”

magnus

[Image: gqYjsHr.png]