• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

To my dear Chambermaid, Astri
    I'm so pleased that you have agreed to play a little game with me. I have no intention of seriously maiming or harming you, but I hope you'll try to beat me, as I will certainly do for you.

Let's say the following terms shall be ours;

As many days as needed between posts (this is for practice after all) but we shall each try to make our responses in less than three days.

Two posts each, one attack in each.

I shall suppress my mind reading since it seems terribly unfair to know what you plan to do, and also not very useful for improving my skills. Any other traits or skills allowed.

The winner has to say that the Chamber drools. Okay, just kidding...

Oh gods, it has been a day and an age since I've been here.

I used to enjoy mock battles, and even the occasional challenge in my younger days. For someone who avoids working very hard, I have a rather silly affection for fighting.

In all things physical I am average. Dark bay coat, brown eyes. I stand a little over fifteen hands high, and my frame is muscular and stocky. I am, perhaps, slower than I would like to be, but I have a great deal of strength in my shoulders and back from years upon years of flying.

Still, I am rusty. And a rusty fighter is of absolutely no use to the Valley.
    (The things I do for love of her)

Thankfully, there is always someone willing to test their mettle against an opponent and I have found such a one in the bright green Chamber maid known as Astri. Aside from her eye popping shade of emerald, she seems to be without traits, and I ever so reluctantly (but oh so kindly in my opinion) stifle my mind reading. It isn't easy to do, but it's something I've developed for times when I really need my own thoughts and no one else's.

I really don't know how everyone else does it, though.

She is young, but not necessarily inexperienced so I approach her with due wariness. My wings tucked tight against my side (although they will unavoidably make me slower than the unencumbered Astri), I pick up into a quick canter. I come at her straight on, but slightly to her right. Upon closing the gap between us, I unfurl my right wing to create drag. This helps me twist my body suddenly, aiming my knees up and into Astri's right side, directly behind her front legs. I hope, of course, because one can never tell in a fight how their opponent will react.

My move is not pretty, but it's generally an effective one. At best, I've thrown Astri off balance and given her a lovely bruise to remember me by, and at worst, I've thrown myself off balance and bruised myself by connecting with her shoulder or hips. It's also possible that she escaped me entirely, which would most likely require that she rear or sidestep, as my hawk wings have a long wing span, and the right one is stretched fully out in front of my opponent.

My first attack finished, I back off a bit, but still close by.

I grin wickedly. This will be very amusing.

G A L L O W S
    We must all hang together or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

What Is An Ocean But A Multitude Of Drops
    It seemed like it was too soon to be back on the battlefield. She’d given birth, for the first time, and suddenly she knew what that empty ‘ache’ was. The absence of Kraz pushing against her ribs causes her to feel something she’s never felt before - loss. She still doesn’t fully understand it, she can’t quite put her finger on it, but Kraz has become like a ghost at her side. Her firstborn, and a son at that. He was perfect in her eyes.

She tries to push these thoughts from her mind and instead focus on what was going on around her. Her opponent, Gallows, arrives in due time and Astri is a little taken aback. Her wingspan was impressive, and when she beat those dual appendages against the wind, the tough green mare could feel the breeze coming from the action. She’d never battled a gifted horse, and this was sure to be a fight she could remember, or even tell Kraz. “Focus, Astri.” She commands herself, and she watches as the other mare contemplates before bursting forward in surprising speed, one wing extended to create drag.

Gallows is heading towards her left side, so the mantis girl spreads her hind legs and digs in, knowing she cannot avoid the attack. The mare rams, her front legs sending a reverberating shock through Astri’s ribcage, but she clenches her jaw and absorbs the impact, letting her head snake to the left so she can lash out and hopefully grab on to the extended wing. It’s a wild thought, but Astri reasons that if she can injure the wing, it might deter Gallows from taking flight and landing an aerial attack. Her yellowed teeth snap shut but she hasn’t much time, as Gallows is quickly retreating.

The green mare cannot see where the other is heading, so she reacts naturally and backs away, turning as quickly as she can manage to face her opponent. It would be wise to keep Gallows in her line of sight, and Astri isn’t willing to risk anything in this skirmish.
    astri
    yule x astrah

I'm impressed and gratified. I was hoping this fight would be a challenge, and I am not disappointed. I hope Astri feels the same. After all, it does one good to stretch out the kinks and build up a repertoire of attacks.

I curse mentally as her teeth grasp at a few of my flight feathers, tearing out several secondaries by the shaft. It's an aching hurt, although not a permanently damaging one. A blood feather is yanked loose along with the longer vaned ones and starts a trickle of dark liquid. My wings are a strength but when I am not wise, they are also a rather impressive target. I stretch them and then pull them in to my side, gritting my teeth. I won't know the full extent of the damage until I can test them later, but it's safe to say that my wings are not going to be my weapon of choice for this next round. At the very least they'll need grooming and rearranging for optimal flight.

We are facing at an angle to each other at close range, with her right side perpendicular to my chest. I close the short distance with a rush. I take a page from Astri's book and bare my teeth, snaking out to attempt a bite firmly on the base of her neck. If it lands it will be bruising. I also have the possibility of closing my teeth further up her neck or on a shoulder if she rears to get away. Of course there is danger that I will miss, or that in being so close it puts her at a better angle to retaliate, but there is no victory without attempt.

G A L L O W S
    We must all hang together or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

What Is An Ocean But A Multitude Of Drops
    Gallows is an adept fighter, and Astri reveles in the challenge of the new opponent. She wonders (as the soreness begins to creep along her ribcage) if she’s finally found her calling in life. It seemed like the silver tongue was no path for the green girl. She enjoys the instant gratification of fighting, of how instead of stepping on toes, one can simply rip apart flesh. She grins as Gallows draws in her single wing, and the scarlet indication of Astri’s successful hit fuels her in this battle.

Gallows is quick to retaliate, barreling ahead at Astri’s exposed left shoulder with the intention of wounding her. Thankfully, she’s got the advantage of seeing her coming so she makes up her mind quickly. Gallows could land a blow on the same side again, essentially crippling Astri’s left front, or the jade mare could take defensive action. She turns to her right, as quickly as she can manage (which, with her previous injury isn’t as quick as she was hoping) and Gallow’s blow lands along her shorter ribs, managing to render Astri’s flesh bloody with her sharp incisors. Astri squeals and throws a low-flying buck, hoping that since the two are close and tangled, she may strike Gallows in the chest or front legs.

Astri puts what energy she has saved into this move and limps forward, knowing that for now, the fight is over.
    astri
    yule x astrah

OOC: Yay!!!! This was fun <3
    @[Gallows] and @[Astri] - sorry this took so long!

Winner: Gallows

Gallows
    Post I
    + Good description of Gallow’s size and build, advantages and disadvantages
    - Set the weather, landscape, etc. These things will affect how you can see and move, and if you are suddenly fighting in say the Jungle instead one day, that will really matter
    o Pay particular attention to the way you position your attacks. Telling me that your wing is unfurled completely right in front of Astri is really helpful, but I would have liked to see that explained in the attack. I had to read all the way through and then double back, because it took a while for me to have a full understand of exactly what was happening
    o I’d like a little more (not a lot, but a little more) about what exactly this attack is intended to do. Not necessarily the muscle groups, but more about how that bruise could make it harder for Astri to put all her weight on her front, making buck’s harder. That sort of stuff.

Post II
    + Good damage to her attack
    o More details in your attack. I get the attack, but again, what kind of damage are you really causing? What muscles are you bruising? Not necessarily the muscle names, but more about how those muscles can effect Astri’s movement. I don’t think you need a ton more, it’s nice not reading a book for each battle post, but I would spend a little more time on the attack description/possible outcomes.

Astri
    Post I
    - Gallows doesn’t use her wings, except to spread one out during the attack, so there’s really no wind or anything for Astri to be taken aback by here, and it’s borderline power playing (minimal, and it doesn’t really affect the battle, but it does give Astri knowledge earlier than she should have had it)
    - Gallows is heading toward Astri’s right, not left
    o We obviously aren’t that realistic here, but there are certain things that we can keep that way, and no horse is going to stand there, legs basically poised to be broken, while a horse barrels straight at them. There were quite a few options for at least a partial dodge, and choosing not to move at all was not the best option Astri had
    o I like the idea behind the attack. Biting won’t do much damage, so I’d mention that, but you could leave a bruise on a wing if you snagged the right part of it. However, this doesn’t get a plus because the positioning is wrong – turning her head to the left, Astri would just be biting at air
    - Be careful about interpreting too much into what the other person is writing/being very clear with your own language – Gallows is only backing away a bit, and says she stays close by. You say things like quickly and that you can’t see Gallows, but these conclusions aren’t necessarily true. It’d be more accurate to say that you aren’t sure where Gallows is heading, so you back away to try and put some space between the two of you, or something to that affect.

Post II
    - Again, watch the positioning. Gallows is on Astri’s right, not left
    - Horses teeth are not that sharp – they tear grass, not flesh. Particularly along Astri’s side, which is where I think the attack hit, Gallows wouldn’t really be able to grab anything here. She might scrape Astri’s side, certainly, but it wouldn’t be more than a minor abrasion. Bloody implies more of a serious injury.
    o Counter attack is pretty realistic, but a little more detail would be good. It may be the last post, but still detail what’s going on, what a hit to the chest could do to Gallows, etc. Particularly, it would make it a more effective attack if you were specific with the buck, saying it’s also slightly to the side. Astri probably couldn’t kick straight back to hit anything, giving their position. But she could angle herself just a bit, throwing one leg out to the side instead. Something like that, anyway.